Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just turned 30,000 miles on the Optima. I was driving to a friend's house today that was about an hour from me. Once I was done there, I tried to start the car. It started with one push of the start button, but the engine turned over several times before it actually started. There was no check engine light on yet. I drove out of the neighborhood (25mph speed limit) and didn't notice anything wrong. Then when I tried to pull onto the main road, the engine lacked response above 2,500 rpm and over 3,000 rpm it would surge almost as if the turbo would spool and then loose pressure. Then the check engine light came on. I called the 800 number for KIA since I was not close to my local dealer. They said to stop and they would tow me to a local KIA dealership. Well, after waiting an hour the tow company said their truck broke down and it would be another 2 hours before they could get me. I called the 800 number again and they said that if I felt safe driving it, that I could drive it to the dealership. The car was slow to get up to speed as there was not much power and I didn't want to go above the 3,000 to avoid the surging feeling. One up to a decent speed, I pressed the gas pedal, the car downshifted and the RPMs rose as normal, but there was no additional power and the car would not go any faster. The dealership initially said that it was probably the wastegate problem, but after checking the codes they said that the fuel pump is bad. They did not have one and said that it would be a couple days to get one. Has anyone heard of this issue? It seems awefully early for something like that to fail. I have had fuel pumps go bad on older cars and there wouldn't be any gas flowing. This just seems strange.

·
Registered
2011 Optima SX
2,410 Posts
I have not heard of a fuel pump going bad that early. At least it will be covered under warranty...

As for the loss of power: Whenever the check engine light comes on it goes into what we like to call "limp mode". It basically cuts the turbo off. That is why your car felt like it had no power and was surging. It has happened to me when I accidentally blew off my oil catch can hose. :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the response NilVlrod. If I remember correctly, the check engine light didn't come on right away....I actually drove a couple miles before the light came on. Maybe the engine went into 'limp mode' before the light came on. Interesting.

·
Registered
80 Posts
This is the exact problem that I had last week. Happened with 38k on my SX. It's the high pressure fuel pump. If you search for P0087 on this site you will find it.

Luckily I was close to home when mine started acting up. The exact same symptoms though...from the sputtering, acceleration and startup.

·
1,407 Posts
It is not rare or uncommon for HPFP to fail. Kia isn't the only one with problems. My BMW 335 HPFP failed 3 times on me, the first time was at like 600 miles. BMW was known for it on their 335's.

Direct injection HPFP can easily push over 3000 PSI so they are working pretty hard.

Luckily it is under warranty.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have replaced about 5 High pressure fuel pumps on GDI engines. All with the same symptoms as yours. You won't feel any difference at very slow speeds because the pump only has to put out about 600 psi as to when your accelerating it pushes out about 3000 psi to overcome cylinder pressures and when it can't do that it sets the check engine light and puts the car into limp home mode and you will have a fuel pressure of only about 77psi. Thats why you have no power.

·
Registered
80 Posts
^What he said. HPFP failures are very common in other makes. Less so in the Optima which is nice, but it doesn't surprise me at all to see this kind of failure. That's why I like the 100,000 mile warranty.
I was informed by the service advisor that this is not considered part of the powertrain thus would only be covered under the 60k mile warranty.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The service advisor didn't state whether it was the HPFP or not. I just assumed it was the regular fuel pump, but thought the symptoms didn't a regular fuel pump going bad. The HPFP makes sense. I had a GMC Terrain that with the DI 2.4 and they were notorious for having HPFP issues. A lot of times they made quite a racket when they were having issues. Hopefully they will get it fixed soon. Driving this Nissan Sentra isn't very fun. autox17, I would have thougtht that would be part of the 10/100000 powertrain warranty. I wonder how they deem it is not part of the powertrain? Do they think that it is a wear item?

·
Registered
80 Posts
The service advisor didn't state whether it was the HPFP or not. I just assumed it was the regular fuel pump, but thought the symptoms didn't a regular fuel pump going bad. The HPFP makes sense. I had a GMC Terrain that with the DI 2.4 and they were notorious for having HPFP issues. A lot of times they made quite a racket when they were having issues. Hopefully they will get it fixed soon. Driving this Nissan Sentra isn't very fun. autox17, I would have thougtht that would be part of the 10/100000 powertrain warranty. I wonder how they deem it is not part of the powertrain? Do they think that it is a wear item?
I thought the same thing. If this issue continues to happen, we may need to fight the coverage.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
I was informed by the service advisor that this is not considered part of the powertrain thus would only be covered under the 60k mile warranty.
I paid for the full 100,000 bumper to bumper warranty.

EDIT: LOL if I have problems and they don't cover it, they will be cutting me a $1200 check to reimburse me for the warranty that I paid for.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
I paid for the full 100,000 bumper to bumper warranty.

EDIT: LOL if I have problems and they don't cover it, they will be cutting me a $1200 check to reimburse me for the warranty that I paid for.
I did the same warranty extension. bumper to bumper

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Where did you get those extensions from? That wasn't even an option when I purchased the car. I don't like paying for extra warranty....one of the reason I went with KIA....longer powertrain warranty. crystalworks-- good luck getting that back. I bought an extended warranty on a used car and took it back to the dealer that I bought it from to get some stuff fixed. They said the warranty wouldn't cover it.....and I bought a bumper to bumper warranty. I sold the car because of the issues and never did use the warranty because they wouldn't cover the problems. Then it was the biggest hassle to try and get the money back. I hate to say it, but I quit tring because I was so frustrated with the company. Of course that was many moons ago, so I don't know how it works now.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Where did you get those extensions from? That wasn't even an option when I purchased the car. I don't like paying for extra warranty....one of the reason I went with KIA....longer powertrain warranty. crystalworks-- good luck getting that back. I bought an extended warranty on a used car and took it back to the dealer that I bought it from to get some stuff fixed. They said the warranty wouldn't cover it.....and I bought a bumper to bumper warranty. I sold the car because of the issues and never did use the warranty because they wouldn't cover the problems. Then it was the biggest hassle to try and get the money back. I hate to say it, but I quit tring because I was so frustrated with the company. Of course that was many moons ago, so I don't know how it works now.
The extension is a dealer option and is a Kia warranty. Not aftermarket. I think that's why you had so many problems? Was yours aftermarket? My dad did the same thing with his Nissan Altima back in 2003 and got most of his money back because he never used the warranty. I was surprised to hear that he was able to do that. Either way, I don't care if I get any of the money I paid for the warranty back as long as they honor it (or I never have to use it). LOL if they don't... that's when I want my money back.

I got the Optima back today!!!! It seems that all is good again. I was really getting tired of driving that Sentra rental!
Glad you got it back. Hope you don't have any future problems with it. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had the same issue with my 2012 EX and I only have 22,000 miles. After driving an hour on the highway, I restarted the car after a brief period and noticed the CEL on an extra cranking needed to start with and then it was sluggish with little power. High pressure fuel pump fixed under warranty in a few hours.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.