Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for help from anyone who may have had this issue. I have a 2012 Kia Optima SX with no mods (aside from cosmetic). For the last couple days I have had issues with the car losing acceleration just in the middle of driving. I don't have to be trying to accelerate. I can just be cruising along and all of the sudden it acts as though I have taken my foot off the gas. Then all the sudden it kicks back in, then it drops back out. It's very random. Pumping the gas pedal seems to have no affect. It just has to all the sudden come back on it's own. No electrical power is lost, the car literally acts as if I just stopped pressing the gas pedal.

I took it to the dealer today because i'm just barely within my factory warranty (59000 miles). They looked the car over and couldn't replicate the issue. No codes are being thrown either. They tried to just send me home with the car but I refused and told them they needed to do more testing. They finally agreed but would not give me a loner car because they were keeping it at my request and had not confirmed an issue existed.

So now i'm without a means of transportation and i'm praying they replicate the issue. I don't want to imagine what would happen if I was taking my kids somewhere and pulled out in to traffic when it stalls out like that and I get smacked by another car. This would technically be the other driver's fault (under Florida law) but that's not the point.

Does it sound like this could be the Flow Control Valve or some other fuel pump related issue? I don't know why a code wouldn't be thrown...

·
Registered
505 Posts
A HPFP concern is usually a long hard start and a p0087 code instantly. I've never heard of your issue before, maybe a throttle body but I'm just throwing out possible ideas.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I called the dealer back today and they told me that they were able to replicate the issue. I don't have all the details yet but I was told it is due to some sensor that detects if the ABS has kicked in. Once ABS is kicked in, it disables acceleration. So my car thinks I'm stepping on my breaks, kicks in ABS, and then disables acceleration. I've never actually tried to push the breaks during this situation so I would have never known this was the issue.

I guess i'll come back and put a more detailed update once I get my car back.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Glad the dealer was able to duplicate the problem. At least it will be covered under your warranty. Post the fix once your car is repaired. Hopefully you'll have the car back real soon.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've had my car back since last Thursday the 21st. Just didn't have time to come back and post. Busy weekend.

It seems to be running good now so it looks like what they did may have worked. With that being said, I did get it back with 200 additional miles, an empty tank of gas, all my mirrors re-adjusted, a re-adjusted and greasy steering wheel, and for some reason electrical tape dangling from out of the bottom of my steering column.

They refused to do anything about the tank of gas and I had to pay for the gas in the rental car they got me from Hertz. They even tried to hide the fact that they put that many miles on it. When I got the papers back to sign it, the mileage stated that they only put 12 miles on it. I made them correct it before I left. Whatever though. I just won't be going back to them. I'll pick another dealer. They are all over the place.

Anyways.... Back to the issue at hand.

The problem was just a faulty brake switch. The little switch attached to the brake pedal. Part # 93810. (At least that's what they claim) Either way, it's working.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Makes sense, that's why I asked if you drive with both feet and if the smart pedal feature was being activated. A bad brake switch could turn this feature on. When people drive with both feet, just resting their foot on the brake pedal causing the engine to basically lose power.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Makes sense, that's why I asked if you drive with both feet and if the smart pedal feature was being activated. A bad brake switch could turn this feature on. When people drive with both feet, just resting their foot on the brake pedal causing the engine to basically lose power.
Yeah. I assumed that's why you were asking. As long as it's fixed now then i'm happy. I'm usually driving around with my 2 little kids and I didn't feel safe pulling out in to traffic with this issue going on.

·
Premium Member
1,409 Posts
I've done countless brake switches on our cars on the whole lineup but never had one do something like that to me. Good to know
I'm pushing 51K miles on my '12 SX. Never had this issue but would like at ask you (KIA expert) what I can do to inspect it to see if I'm getting close to needing to replace mine. Many Thanks!

·
Registered
505 Posts
I'm pushing 51K miles on my '12 SX. Never had this issue but would like at ask you (KIA expert) what I can do to inspect it to see if I'm getting close to needing to replace mine. Many Thanks!
Not really much you can do without the scantool. Usually you'd throw a C1513 code or you'd have to monitor it through the data and see if it's activating while driving normally or while the issue is happening

·
Registered
3 Posts
Looking for help from anyone who may have had this issue. I have a 2012 Kia Optima SX with no mods (aside from cosmetic). For the last couple days I have had issues with the car losing acceleration just in the middle of driving. I don't have to be trying to accelerate. I can just be cruising along and all of the sudden it acts as though I have taken my foot off the gas. Then all the sudden it kicks back in, then it drops back out. It's very random. Pumping the gas pedal seems to have no affect. It just has to all the sudden come back on it's own. No electrical power is lost, the car literally acts as if I just stopped pressing the gas pedal.

I took it to the dealer today because i'm just barely within my factory warranty (59000 miles). They looked the car over and couldn't replicate the issue. No codes are being thrown either. They tried to just send me home with the car but I refused and told them they needed to do more testing. They finally agreed but would not give me a loner car because they were keeping it at my request and had not confirmed an issue existed.

So now i'm without a means of transportation and i'm praying they replicate the issue. I don't want to imagine what would happen if I was taking my kids somewhere and pulled out in to traffic when it stalls out like that and I get smacked by another car. This would technically be the other driver's fault (under Florida law) but that's not the point.

Does it sound like this could be the Flow Control Valve or some other fuel pump related issue? I don't know why a code wouldn't be thrown...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I found this video and it explains it perfectly. My 2012 optima was doing almost everything that this video describes in the beginning and I did this and it fixed it like new.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts