Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I’m trying to find a fun and reliable sedan that has blind spot monitoring without breaking the bank. I believe I’ve found one with this 2015 EX, but I wanted to reach out to the community to see if there’s any issues I should be aware of. The vehicle I’m looking at has the 2.4L I4 with close to 92k on it. Are there any issues I should be aware of or are these cars pretty reliable as long as you keep up on the maintenance? Thanks!

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,386 Posts
All, 2011/2020 2.4/2.0T, possible engine seizure, but if the KSDS update is done, lifetime engine warranty for what they call a debris issue, but if something else, not covered.
A/C problems with the control valve.
Caliper slider problems along with frozen rear lower control arm bolts if in a harsh winter environment.

All in all, not a bad car, but make certain you get it at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All, 2011/2020 2.4/2.0T, possible engine seizure, but if the KSDS update is done, lifetime engine warranty for what they call a debris issue, but if something else, not covered.
A/C problems with the control valve.
Caliper slider problems along with frozen rear lower control arm bolts if in a harsh winter environment.

All in all, not a bad car, but make certain you get it at a reasonable price.

Oh wow! Engine seizure is a horrible issue. What is the KSDS update? Is that a recall? This is the one I’m looking at. They’re asking $13,495.

·
Registered
2018 KIA Optima
170 Posts
Knock sensor detection system. It is a software update not a recall. I am not aware of pricing for them I know used cars are expensive right now.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,386 Posts
Looks decent. One open recall for the hydraulic electric control unit possible internal leak/short.
Has been serviced by Kia, so assume all updates have been done which would include the mentioned KSDS update, but check with Kia to be certain. After purchase, take it to them for an oil change and have the recall done and update if necessary, then lifetime engine warranty.

Looks in good condition, but that ding in the rear cover can be repaired fairly easily and maybe even without painting. Check for a spare tire, not certain as to what models/years came w/o one, but I certainly wouldn't want a car missing a spare. As far as the a/c, have it running and when driving should be, as we say, ice cold, then when stopped in drive, the cold air shouldn't disappear, so give it a try. With headlights on check fog lights working, sometimes the stalk goes bad and no fogs. Check all tires for irregular tread wear, especially the rear inside for any cupped edges.
Good luck

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima EX w/Premium Package
2 Posts
SangreJoven:
Just a heads up, I got a 2015 Optima EX w/Premium Package, 80K miles for about $12K through Shift (technically 11.5, but with various fees ended up over 12K). Love the car, so much better than my old 05 Ford Taurus (absolute base model, fleet vehicle). If you are a more spirited driver and/or live in a hilly area - you will NOT get the advertised fuel economy. If you drive mostly highway, then it's not bad. Did you end up getting it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SangreJoven:
Just a heads up, I got a 2015 Optima EX w/Premium Package, 80K miles for about $12K through Shift (technically 11.5, but with various fees ended up over 12K). Love the car, so much better than my old 05 Ford Taurus (absolute base model, fleet vehicle). If you are a more spirited driver and/or live in a hilly area - you will NOT get the advertised fuel economy. If you drive mostly highway, then it's not bad. Did you end up getting it?
Thanks for the detailed review. Honestly, I’m pretty gun shy about buying an Optima now due to the engine seizure issues.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima EX w/Premium Package
2 Posts
Thanks for the detailed review. Honestly, I’m pretty gun shy about buying an Optima now due to the engine seizure issues.
I read something a while back that said the 2015's didn't have the engine seizure issue. Something like the engines were manufactured differently or at a different plant. If I can find it later I'll post back here. It might have even been on this forum.

·
Registered
3 Posts
bought my 2015 optima ex w/ premium package 60K for $10K, all recalls done, just to be on the safe side stopped by kia dealer to check, found out it had a recall for the hydraulic electric control , parts ordered going back next week. no issues yet 🤞

1 - 9 of 9 Posts