Kia Optima Forums banner

Would you be interested in a limited slip differential?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • You're off the deep end here...

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
2013 Optima ex turbo
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive me if this isn't the right spot for this, or if this kind of discussion isn't allowed. Like many of you I've been frustrated by the traction control in my 2013 Optima Ex-turbo. Engages at the worst time (merging onto highways while accelerating) especially in the winter. Now I know it is a safety feature, but I quite honestly feel more safe driving with it off and having my traction be more predictable. Like some others here I enjoy some more spirited driving and plan on track racing my car (silly I know). On my vehicle even with traction control turned off, "stability" control is still active which has lead me down the rabbit hole of limited slip differentials.

Other Kia and Hyundai vehicles have some aftermarket options available, but from what I've dug into none of them will cross over as they have been made for the manual transmission. This bring me to a potential option. The company Quaife in the UK will make a diff for us.

The info that they gave me is that they make them in batches of 10, 20 or 30. They also require a differential to be sent to them along with the axles for our cars. Luckily I have lots of access to these parts through work and would be willing to ship them out for development IF there is enough interest to place an order. There is no obligation, but if I get let's say 10 people really interested then I will take the jump and send out the parts for a quote. They won't be cheap, thinking they will likely be 1k+.

Like I mentioned, if this isn't allowed then please remove.

· Registered
2013 Kia Optima
587 Posts
Forgive me if this isn't the right spot for this, or if this kind of discussion isn't allowed. Like many of you I've been frustrated by the traction control in my 2013 Optima Ex-turbo. Engages at the worst time (merging onto highways while accelerating) especially in the winter. Now I know it is a safety feature, but I quite honestly feel more safe driving with it off and having my traction be more predictable. Like some others here I enjoy some more spirited driving and plan on track racing my car (silly I know). On my vehicle even with traction control turned off, "stability" control is still active which has lead me down the rabbit hole of limited slip differentials.

Other Kia and Hyundai vehicles have some aftermarket options available, but from what I've dug into none of them will cross over as they have been made for the manual transmission. This bring me to a potential option. The company Quaife in the UK will make a diff for us.

The info that they gave me is that they make them in batches of 10, 20 or 30. They also require a differential to be sent to them along with the axles for our cars. Luckily I have lots of access to these parts through work and would be willing to ship them out for development IF there is enough interest to place an order. There is no obligation, but if I get let's say 10 people really interested then I will take the jump and send out the parts for a quote. They won't be cheap, thinking they will likely be 1k+.

Like I mentioned, if this isn't allowed then please remove.
I will tell you that it's probably not a stability program that is still active but like an acceleration control for the front wheel drive axles from exploding while wheel is turned. My Grand Prix GXP FWD with small block chevy, I was able to turn off both traction control and the stability program but it still did the same exact thing my SX does with wheel turned the littlest bit merging onto a highway. Yes it's annoying but if you don't want a vehicle that does it buy a RWD vehicle and control the fishtail.

· Registered
2013 Optima ex turbo
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Buying another vehicle is an option, which I plan to explore when we have more space for it. But for those of us who like their optimas and don't mind spending a bit on performance it can make a big difference. I love almost everything about my car except for the traction control, and this is a solution to that problem. Less wheel slip equals less traction control engaging. This option isn't for everyone, I understand that. It's why I'm throwing it out there for interest, for those who, like me want the benefits of an lsd.

· Registered
2011 Kia Optima
4,414 Posts
Going through this for years, cars that have enough power to "spin" the tires, either FWD or RWD should have a limited slip diff, but as cost is a factor, these inexpensive, family transporters, will never see it. Actually a limited slip diff would be advantageous for all cars as in low traction conditions it would be extremely useful.
Having said that, not a big fan of a FWD performance vehicle, and to create a limited slip for these cars would probably cost more than what my '11 2.0T is presently worth, but a great idea.

· Registered
2013 Optima ex turbo
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When you're racing, one surely doesn't want to keep the pedal off the floor, and that's
the problem, no traction. :)
Exactly, I may be silly for wanting to race my car, but I wanted to have some fun with it so why not. I also don't mind spending a little bit more to make it more drivable under heavy throttle.

· Registered
2011 Kia Optima
4,414 Posts
Exactly, I may be silly for wanting to race my car, but I wanted to have some fun with it so why not. I also don't mind spending a little bit more to make it more drivable under heavy throttle.
Agree. Old guy, but always liked cars with decent acceleration and unless you get an AWD vehicle, the FWD leaves something to be desired. Not that the 2.0T is a rocket, but it does provide some excitement, and even more so when mods are done to up the boost.

· Registered
2013 Optima ex turbo
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Front mount intercooler, jb4, carbon fiber cold air intake, big brake kit front and rear, and nitto nt05s for racing this summer.

Car is definitely fun, and unique.

· Registered
2018 Optima EX, 2019 Stinger GT2 AWD
111 Posts
Front mount intercooler, jb4, carbon fiber cold air intake, big brake kit front and rear, and nitto nt05s for racing this summer.

Car is definitely fun, and unique.
At least with FWD you are less likely to plow it into the wall when you lose traction, unlike high performance RWD cars if you don't know what you are doing.

· Registered
2013 Optima ex turbo
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For those that are interested, I have found a manufacturer in the states. I'd prefer to go this route for two reasons if we end up getting a group buy together. Those being shipping cost (lower) as well as a lower minimum required to order (only 5 needed). From the manufacturer: "We'd need a 50% deposit up front. We would need a stock differential, preferably with ring gear and bolts. We would also need a CV axle to check the internal splines. Lead time is about three months from the time of deposit.".

Price I was quoted was $1500 per differential. I see on the poll that there are 4 of us potentially interested. I may also reach out to the Sonata group and see if anyone there is looking to get in on this.

If you are legitimately interested maybe reach out to me by private message and we could figure out the best way to go about starting the process and ensuring that everyone's best interest (and financial commitment) are protected.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts