Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Road debris damaged our 2012 Kia Optima, ripping the driver side rear guard deflector flap. I was looking at the screws holding the flap in, and they are a strange pattern / design I have never seen before.

Does anyone know what these bolts / screws are?
And should I worry about replacing a ripped flap in front of the rear tire? Does this guard deflector flap do anything important that makes it worth replacing?

Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Car
Water Automotive tire Grey Gas Automotive wheel system

· Premium Member
2020 KIA Optima SX
204 Posts
Can't say I've ever seen that type before. I think the deflector flap is there to help decrease drag/help airflow under the rear of the car. Since yours looks pretty much intact I wouldn't worry about it too much.

· Registered
1 Posts
However, you only need to replace your engine splash shield when it is damaged or worn out. While, technically, you can drive without an engine splash shield, we don't recommend it. If your engine splash shield is damaged, debris from the road could hit sensitive parts of your car and damage them.

· Registered
1,368 Posts
Are those some kind of push pins?

· Registered
12 Posts
That appears to be part 87755B "Deflector-Rear, LH" which is attached with 1031AA "Rivet-Blind" according to the parts diagrams. (You can find them at sites like kiapartsnow.) It looks like the deflector runs about $18 (probably closer to $30 at a dealership); Kia will gladly gouge you $2.56 or more for each rivet, or you can buy generic ones at any hardware store...

As for whether it needs replacing? If it's not dragging or rubbing on anything... if it's not making objectionable wind noise... and you don't care about the possible fractional reduction in fuel efficiency if it's negatively affecting the car's aerodynamics... I wouldn't bother.

· Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,743 Posts
Other options to consider is to drill holes and "stitch" them together using zip ties. If done properly you can make it look artistic.

And you could also weld them back together, or use plastic adhesive and a backing strip of plastic...

· Registered
1 Posts
I had never seen that type of screw before. I'm sure you could replace those screws with a rivet. I replaced the screw on the front bumper of my car with the rivet, and it looks like new. You can use them for various types of screws or bolts, and they will work just fine. The best thing is that these rivets can be used in multiple applications, so you don't have to worry too much about finding the right replacement. And from what I know the deflector flap helps a bit reducing the airflow under the car, and that shouldn't worry you too much.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts