Kia Optima Forums banner

81 - 96 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes, I want to try to replace the LED's on the circuit board strip. PITA, most likely but I've done circuit board soldering many times.

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
It's been awhile since anybody brought up the 5050 upgrade thread and I have a spare set of Motoringmax laying around so I figured I'll play around with it and do the upgrade to 5050. For me it was the first time and man it wasn't easy getting the housing to open and Thank GOD i have 4 strip of 5050 because I basically ruin 2 strip trying to bend it too much and a few led's doesn't work but I manage it in the end and now I have a spare set just in case my other 5050 set goes to $hit. I know not a lot of people doing this anymore whether its comes with the car going 2014 forward or simply don't need it but to me the 5050 upgrade is a must unless you want to spend a good chunk of cash on the new DRL from Exled which is a little expensive in my book but I'm really happy just with these 5050. Well after poking my hands and fingers a few times with a screw driver then patch it with a few band aids to stop the bleeding I actually made it in the end. THANK YOU again to Homebrwd for this great DIY and I will never ever try to attempt this again LOL. :D

·
02/2015 ROTM
770 Posts
Disclaimer: I am not at fault if you ruin your lights while following this guide. There is no reason you should, I have done 3 sets this exact way.

LEDS: LED Strips | LED Light Strips & Bars | Super Bright LEDs

Click the green outlined "See Prices and Buy" button
You will need 2 19.5in strips
Choose the color, I have found that the Natural White matches a 5000K HID pretty closely
Can someone direct me to another "working" Link that has these 19.5in Flexible 5050LED strips
everyone has used? The Link in the original post is a dead link as of now I'm guessing. When I click on the link to try to search for
the LEDS to be used. This is what shows up... Thanks in advance to whoever has a Link to these
Flexible 19.5in 5050's required for this mod:D

·
02/2015 ROTM
770 Posts

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
I used a different strip that I believe is brighter... and much cheaper. I order them from China and keep them on hand for customer projects. When I had a problem with the iJDM ones (2 sets) I went ahead and tried using the 5050 strips I had on hand. I'll post a thread with pics and a video in the next few days.

·
Premium Member
2014 Hyundai Sonata
2,115 Posts
I used a different strip that I believe is brighter... and much cheaper. I order them from China and keep them on hand for customer projects. When I had a problem with the iJDM ones (2 sets) I went ahead and tried using the 5050 strips I had on hand. I'll post a thread with pics and a video in the next few days.
link to the strips

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts

having a problem too, please post a link for these

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
link to the strips
having a problem too, please post a link for these
Here you go fellas. The price has gone down a lot since I ordered them last (cost me $48 for 5 meters). 5 meters for $31 is the current price. I need to order another roll actually since I only have about 5 feet of the stuff left.

5M 500CM White SMD LED 5050 Flexible 150 LEDs Strip B | eBay

Things to know about these:
1. They are bright. Brighter than the superbright ones I believe. I have not seen them side by side but mine are easily as bright as the stock SXL's and possibly a little brighter. I definitely like the color of these better. They are about 6000k so they are white with a hint of blue/purple... a lot like the SXL lights.
2. They come in one roll. They are cuttable every 3 LEDs and require you to solder leads on manually.

If you can hold off ordering them for a day or two I will post a thread with pics and a video of the lights in action both at night and in direct sunlight.

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
Here you go fellas. The price has gone down a lot since I ordered them last (cost me $48 for 5 meters). 5 meters for $31 is the current price. I need to order another roll actually since I only have about 5 feet of the stuff left.

5M 500CM White SMD LED 5050 Flexible 150 LEDs Strip B | eBay

Things to know about these:
1. They are bright. Brighter than the superbright ones I believe. I have not seen them side by side but mine are easily as bright as the stock SXL's and possibly a little brighter. I definitely like the color of these better. They are about 6000k so they are white with a hint of blue/purple... a lot like the SXL lights.
2. They come in one roll. They are cuttable every 3 LEDs and require you to solder leads on manually.

If you can hold off ordering them for a day or two I will post a thread with pics and a video of the lights in action both at night and in direct sunlight.

Nice, I'll wait and see yours, thanks

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Just a heads up, looking at the numbers in the ebay ad your LEDs are not brighter than the superbright LEDs. 390-450 lumens/meter accoring to ebay compared to 342 lumens/foot (1122 lumens/meter) on the superbrights.
I am completely aware of that homebrwd. If they had a spec per LED chip it would be much more applicable and helpful. As you know the only light that gets used are the 12 LEDs that fire through the conical lenses. The rest are superfluous and do little (probably nothing due to the design of the lenses) to add brightness. On top of that we don't know at what voltage either of those ratings are given. And this is the case with any LED product... you do not know what they actually look like/work like until you work with them.

I am not trying to sh%t on yours or anyone's work. I am simply giving them another option that is just as bright, or brighter than the superbrightleds and they are MUCH cheaper. Remember there are not a ton of companies manufacturing the LED chips themselves. Most companies are using the same LED chips, but different circuit strips in their products. You can get these same LED's in the higher populated strips for $5 more if desired to make up the difference in brightness per foot. I have been doing this for many, many, many years and have experience with almost every LED strip, 5mm, 3mm, 10mm, and flux/spider LED out there. I am here to inform people. As a reference point of how long I've been doing this... when I first bought a 5050 strip roll it cost well over $100 and the first time I bought individual 5mm LEDs they were almost $1 each, in bulk.

·
08/2012 ROTM
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
It doesn't make up the brightness though. The LEDs themselves are brighter on the superbright strips.

There are 60 LEDs/M on the superbright strips which would yield 18.7 lumens/LED

There are 30 LEDs/M on the eBay strips yielding 13-15 lumens/LED

While I realize I originally assumed the number of LEDs per strip was the same between both eBay and superbright. Even taking that into account the superbrights are 20% or more brighter per LED. I'm not being defensive nor am I upset, you made a claim that yours are as bright as if not brighter than the superbright ones based off of nothing, you went on to say that you haven't even seen them side by side. While I am sure most people wouldn't see that 20% different and you could claim them as the same brightness. Also to note, the superbright ones come with a 2 year warranty while the much cheaper ebay ones have a 21 day limit of return.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
^You are correct in your math but we have no way of knowing if the numbers used are correct. We don't know what voltage those lumen ratings were obtained at... the ebay ones could be @12v with the variance being the tolerance in the individual chips being used or it could be a range of voltage inputs. The superbright ones give a range of inputs but no range of lumen outputs. So... is the luminance they give @ 14.8 volts which is the max input voltage? We have no way of knowing. Do you see what I mean? Like I said, this is a problem with the aftermarket LED industry and has been forever. Unless you order individual LED chips yourself... you have no clue what the REAL luminance is @ a certain voltage unless you measure them yourself. I don't know about you but I don't have a light meter.

My claims are based off of pictures posted by other forum members, including yourself, and most importantly, personal experience. As for the warranty... you are getting over 4 times the LEDs required for less than the superbrights. Even if the Ebay ones only last a year (which they don't I assure you @ battery voltage) you are getting a much better deal because you have 4 years worth of lights if they only last the single year. Again, I was giving people another option... and again, being familiar with the LED industry these are probably the same LED chips used on the superbrights. Here is a picture of a customer's Infinity I did with these exact strips back in July 2010. They last just fine, even in the 100+ degree Texas summers, mounted low on a bumper.

I work in the aftermarket 12v industry and have done so now for over 13 years now. People can take my recommendations or not. I am here to inform people, give them choices, and that is all. I do not have any personal benefit from the sales of those LEDs if people choose to purchase them.

81 - 96 of 96 Posts