Kia Optima Forums banner

61 - 80 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Exactly, I'm glad I didn't have to remove the bumper twice, I haven't tried removing it yet, I'm doing it tomorrow but I'm a little bit worried though is there anything that I should avoid or take special care? any tricks that would save time.
Not really, just take your time, and be careful you don't damage the bumper cover when it's off. Prepare to be frustrated by those plastic screw pins. And make sure you have the diagram showing where all the screws are, so when it comes time to rip that bumper cover off, you can yank away with the confidence of knowing that you aren't breaking anything.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Not really, just take your time, and be careful you don't damage the bumper cover when it's off. Prepare to be frustrated by those plastic screw pins. And make sure you have the diagram showing where all the screws are, so when it comes time to rip that bumper cover off, you can yank away with the confidence of knowing that you aren't breaking anything.
So Finally I have done this mod, taking the bumper off was a piece of cake, didn't have to apply a lot of pressure on the left side, but the right side was stuck, & I remembered how it took someone form this forum to be called a wuss by his gf in order to have the guts to apply more pressure, LOL so I pulled it hard, & slightly upwards towards me.
cutting the bumper was very easy but make sure to buy a good quality metal blade, coz otherwise it might bend or would take you forever to do the job
Thanks for everyones input :D

·
Registered
798 Posts
Received both my leds and Drls within a day of each other.

Going to attempt to bake the lights tonight and continue in the am.

Also received my k5 3d badges today front and rear.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
327 Posts
Received both my leds and Drls within a day of each other.

Going to attempt to bake the lights tonight and continue in the am.

Also received my k5 3d badges today front and rear.

That's gonna keep you busy for sometime..

·
Registered
798 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Got the 5050s in and sealed back up last night and completed this morning. Everything works well. Hopefully the brightness is even. Even though I marked where the old leds were some of the new ones didn't line up 100% under the projector. I managed to move the few that were off a little hopefully now that the surround in on it won't matter if they're not perfect.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Got the 5050s in and sealed back up last night and completed this morning. Everything works well. Hopefully the brightness is even. Even though I marked where the old leds were some of the new ones didn't line up 100% under the projector. I managed to move the few that were off a little hopefully now that the surround in on it won't matter if they're not perfect.

try looking at them in bright daylight & look for dim spots, hope you don't have any, but it's very possible, the same thing happened to me, & I wasn't aware of that if it wasn't for someone here who warned me about it, he saved me the trouble of having to take them off to center them again.

·
Registered
798 Posts
So they have been perfect for a few weeks until today when I noticed one on the drivers side was completely out and the one under it was dull. Not sure if it just jarred loose and moved away from the projector (I didn't superglue them down) or if the one is dead and the other is almost dead.

I'm going to order another strip just in case and I guess bake open the lights, see if they're still working and maybe not under the projector all the way, if that's the case i'll center them and superglue them down and I'll have an extra LED strip.

If they're dead then I'll disable the lights for now til I get the new strip in..

*sigh*

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
So they have been perfect for a few weeks until today when I noticed one on the drivers side was completely out and the one under it was dull. Not sure if it just jarred loose and moved away from the projector (I didn't superglue them down) or if the one is dead and the other is almost dead.

I'm going to order another strip just in case and I guess bake open the lights, see if they're still working and maybe not under the projector all the way, if that's the case i'll center them and superglue them down and I'll have an extra LED strip.

If they're dead then I'll disable the lights for now til I get the new strip in..

*sigh*
Ouch... Considered SXL replicas yet?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
798 Posts
Ouch... Considered SXL replicas yet?

Nope ! Already spend 200 on these plus the LEDs. I was perfectly happy with them for the last few weeks then I went camping this weekend. Maybe the offroading shook the LEDs loose. The passenger side is completely fine.

It will look great again. Just have a little more work to do I guess lol

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Nope ! Already spend 200 on these plus the LEDs. I was perfectly happy with them for the last few weeks then I went camping this weekend. Maybe the offroading shook the LEDs loose. The passenger side is completely fine.

It will look great again. Just have a little more work to do I guess lol

True, hopefully it won't happen again.. But at least now you have "full" brightness alternative to baking.

Goodluck

·
Registered
798 Posts
True, hopefully it won't happen again.. But at least now you have "full" brightness alternative to baking.

Goodluck

Thanks. Yeah when I bought mine there was no alternative. But its always a good fall back option even if it'll put me out a few hundred.

If anything its been a decent learning experience.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If anyone has a set of the OEM LED light strips just laying around and wants to donate them for a test project let me know. I'm a nerd who likes to tinker and I want to try replacing the OEM LED's with 5050's. I want to try my hand at soldering them in place to see if it is something worth persuing. I do like the project on this thread but I just want to see if I can do it.

·
Registered
798 Posts
If anyone has a set of the OEM LED light strips just laying around and wants to donate them for a test project let me know. I'm a nerd who likes to tinker and I want to try replacing the OEM LED's with 5050's. I want to try my hand at soldering them in place to see if it is something worth persuing. I do like the project on this thread but I just want to see if I can do it.
Not sure what you plan on soldering what and what to. The LED's are flexible strips that attach with 3M tape/adhesive.

When I redo mine I'm just going to use superglue. You could even use a two stage bonding adhesive to create a solid install.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I was gonna say the same thing. You can't solder an LED strip to the plastic that's on the inside of OEM DRL's, AFAIK.

The only other thing he might have meant was removing the LED's from the circuit board strip and soldering them to a different circuit board by hand, but that seems like a huge PITA, since I believe robots assemble those things, or if they don't, the people soldering those tiny LED lights to circuit boards by hand have my sincerest sympathies.

61 - 80 of 96 Posts