Kia Optima Forums banner

41 - 60 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
nah im going to leave then be so i can have a different color to break up things. dont want the whole front of the car looking like a big spot light :)

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
nah im going to leave then be so i can have a different color to break up things. dont want the whole front of the car looking like a big spot light :)

I must be the only one that wants the DRLs to stand out...
That's why I went with matching fogs w/ stock lowbeams... Once I add the LED DRLs, I want them to be bright & stand out from the rest of the front end.. But to each his own, that's what modding is for :)

Berto we agree on this!

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Hello fellow members.

has anyone tried using cool white strips instead of natural white strips?

·
Registered
798 Posts
Ordered my Drls today and will have them in a week. I want to do this but I want to see if I'm happy with the normal brightness before going through this intensive mod.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Ordered my Drls today and will have them in a week. I want to do this but I want to see if I'm happy with the normal brightness before going through this intensive mod.

Just pull up to a stock SXL or a over seas 2011 SX & you will quickly see how much brighter they are!

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App

·
Registered
1,391 Posts

I hooked mine up to a battery charger to test the brightness before I replaced the LED's. The difference is significant, probably twice the brightness.

To really test them though, take them out into bright sunlight. The original LED's could barely even be seen in full sunlight.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Just pull up to a stock SXL or a over seas 2011 SX & you will quickly see how much brighter they are!

I hooked mine up to a battery charger to test the brightness before I replaced the LED's. The difference is significant, probably twice the brightness.

To really test them though, take them out into bright sunlight. The original LED's could barely even be seen in full sunlight.
I hate this forum lol

Here goes some more money! Smh

·
Registered
327 Posts
Just finished installing the new LEDS in my OEM DRLs, the writeup is pretty accurate & pictures help a lot, i found that the oven had to be warmer, I baked them at 275 F for 12 mins, & while working on them I had to bake them for 3-4 more minutes again just to make opening them easier.
It took me about 30 minutes to open the 1st one & about 10 minutes to do the second since I knew what I was doing then,
I ordered the same LEDs from the link from superbrights, I didn't wanna risk getting something else that ends up not as good or too long or too short, this actually turned out to be just perfect, & don't worry if the smds don't center perfectly with the lenses when you install them, their light is strong enough that it goes through the little square lenses no matter what,.
I didn't have to cut an opening in the grey housing to pass the wire through, I just bent the wire & ran it through the side & just closed the housing, so the wire got sandwiched inside.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Just finished installing the new LEDS in my OEM DRLs, & don't worry if the smds don't center perfectly with the lenses when you install them, their light is strong enough that it goes through the little square lenses no matter what.
Another member noticed some dim spots due to not centering them perfectly & ended up re-doing them to get them centered.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Another member noticed some dim spots due to not centering them perfectly & ended up re-doing them to get them centered.

Well Mine weren't perfectly centred but they weren't off by much, as I have marked where the oem leds were. when I connected them to a power source they seemed perfectly fine, hope I won't notice any dim spots after I install them & look at them from a distance. Also the led lights that I used (the little white/yellow squares) are much bigger than the stock ones so chances are even if they're not perfectly centred, the light will still go through to the lens as the led square is not too small. Not sure if the other member who noticed dim spots had used the same led strip though.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
It was me that had the dim spots and I ended up re-doing mine twice. It was right in the middle of the DRL. I can still see a dim area near the middle if I look at the reflection of my DRL's in a store window or reflected from the back of someone else's car in traffic. But if I look directly at the lights they look fine.

What I would recommend you do is once you think you're done, take the DRL's outside in bright sunlight and hook them up to your battery or a battery charger and take a good look at them and make sure the brightness is uniform. The unevenness will be easiest to see in bright sunlight.

From my experience it is definitely possible to have a spot in the LED strip where the LED's are facing sideways since you're essentially cramming a strip in there that's too long, has too many LED's, and is spaced completely wrong. And when the LED's face sideways, you won't get maximum brightness in that spot.

What I did was try to make sure I had an LED centered between each set of the little clear pins and facing forward. It's harder than it sounds, but that's how I fixed mine.

·
Registered
327 Posts
It was me that had the dim spots and I ended up re-doing mine twice. It was right in the middle of the DRL. I can still see a dim area near the middle if I look at the reflection of my DRL's in a store window or reflected from the back of someone else's car in traffic. But if I look directly at the lights they look fine.

What I would recommend you do is once you think you're done, take the DRL's outside in bright sunlight and hook them up to your battery or a battery charger and take a good look at them and make sure the brightness is uniform. The unevenness will be easiest to see in bright sunlight.

From my experience it is definitely possible to have a spot in the LED strip where the LED's are facing sideways since you're essentially cramming a strip in there that's too long, has too many LED's, and is spaced completely wrong. And when the LED's face sideways, you won't get maximum brightness in that spot.

What I did was try to make sure I had an LED centered between each set of the little clear pins and facing forward. It's harder than it sounds, but that's how I fixed mine.
good thing you mentioned that, I only looked them at a close distance at night in my garage, I'll check them out tomorrow after work, fingers crossed

·
Registered
220 Posts
good thing you mentioned that, I only looked them at a close distance at night in my garage, I'll check them out tomorrow after work, fingers crossed
What I did to center the leds was when I attached everything except the lens cover, I used a small screwdriver and centered the "funnel" looking plastic over the actual led. ONce all centered, I superglued the led strip onto the metal backing thus preventing the led strip to move during the final step in installing the cover lens. THis also will prevent potential hot hot days in the summer causing the back adhesive led from coming undone or shifting.

·
Registered
327 Posts
What I did to center the leds was when I attached everything except the lens cover, I used a small screwdriver and centered the "funnel" looking plastic over the actual led. ONce all centered, I superglued the led strip onto the metal backing thus preventing the led strip to move during the final step in installing the cover lens. THis also will prevent potential hot hot days in the summer causing the back adhesive led from coming undone or shifting.
you guys saved me a lot of time, coz i was planning on putting the lights on the car tomorrow & I assumed there were no dim spots since when I checked them at night they looked fine, I checked them today in daylight & found a couple of dim spots in one of the lights, so I opened it & centred them right, it was a little hard to work with the strip after it was glued, but I managed to get it centred right, I didn't use any superglue as i was afraid it would mess up the led strip by acting as a conductor at the back of the strip & causing a short circuit.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
you guys saved me a lot of time, coz i was planning on putting the lights on the car tomorrow & I assumed there were no dim spots since when I checked them at night they looked fine, I checked them today in daylight & found a couple of dim spots in one of the lights, so I opened it & centred them right, it was a little hard to work with the strip after it was glued, but I managed to get it centred right, I didn't use any superglue as i was afraid it would mess up the led strip by acting as a conductor at the back of the strip & causing a short circuit.
Good deal, glad to help. I figure there is only a finite number of times you can take that bumper cover off and put it back on, due to unavoidable damage that gets done to the plastic "hooks" that hold the sides on, and the flimsiness of those cheap little push screws underneath. So the fewer the number of times you have to do this, the better, just in case the LED's burn out some day and have to be replaced and you have to take the bumper cover off yet again.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Exactly, I'm glad I didn't have to remove the bumper twice, I haven't tried removing it yet, I'm doing it tomorrow but I'm a little bit worried though is there anything that I should avoid or take special care? any tricks that would save time.

41 - 60 of 96 Posts