Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I recently upgraded the turn signals in my 2020 Optima to LEDs, unfortunately, the LEDs were a hazard to just about everyone that drove near me at night. I mean, these things were lighting up the block every time I wanted to turn, and the person directly behind me was visibly angry that my turn signals looked like amber colored high-beams aimed directly at their eyes. Furthermore, these turn signals hyper-flashed after being on for about 8-9 mins, which I believe is due to over-heating (while I do understand keeping my signal on for 8-9 mins is somewhat long, it happens quite regularly for me, and when other family members drive my car, having the signal hyper-flash on them and throw a dash error is quite annoying).

Basically, I am looking for turn signals that can stay on for longer than 9 mins and not hyper-flash, and be able to not blind traffic at night (as I often drive at night the most). While I have seen the K5 Optima stores turn signals, these things look like they are going to be brighter than the ones I have now (seeing as they are 80 Watt CREE). If someone can suggest some LEDs that they used and shed some light on how other manufactures keep their turn signals cool and not hyper-flashing, that would be wonderful.

Thanks!

(Link to the turn signals I used here: Lasfit 1157 2357 LED Front Turn Signal Light Bulbs Amber Yellow No Hyper Flash | eBay)

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,676 Posts
You won’t have any issues with our bulbs being too bright, they work perfect and are the brightest that you can really put in to the housing without blinding other drivers. I would recommend giving them a shot and if you don’t like them, you can always just return them.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
557 Posts
Real talk: worrying about "blinding" other drivers, especially with turn signals, is just silly. And if you have other drivers "getting angry" because they stared into your turn signals for too long... That sounds like a personal problem.

That having been said, fixing the hyperflash issue is easy, you need to install four (4) load resistors. SuperBrightLEDs.com sell these, along with appropriately bright turn signals, interior lights, and everything else you would need for a total LED conversion.

·
Registered
2018 Optima EX, 2019 Stinger GT2 AWD
67 Posts
Hey everyone,

I recently upgraded the turn signals in my 2020 Optima to LEDs, unfortunately, the LEDs were a hazard to just about everyone that drove near me at night. I mean, these things were lighting up the block every time I wanted to turn, and the person directly behind me was visibly angry that my turn signals looked like amber colored high-beams aimed directly at their eyes. Furthermore, these turn signals hyper-flashed after being on for about 8-9 mins, which I believe is due to over-heating (while I do understand keeping my signal on for 8-9 mins is somewhat long, it happens quite regularly for me, and when other family members drive my car, having the signal hyper-flash on them and throw a dash error is quite annoying).

(Link to the turn signals I used here: Lasfit 1157 2357 LED Front Turn Signal Light Bulbs Amber Yellow No Hyper Flash | eBay)
The problem with LED's that have built-in load resistors is exactly the issue you describe. Due to the enclosed space and small package they will overheat after a while. Remember, LED's draw about 1/10th the power of an incandescent bulb, so in order to prevent the controller module from thinking the bulb is burned out and hyperflashing, you need load resistors to draw about 1.5A and dissipate it as heat, that works out to about 20W, and you just can't dissipate that much unless they are external to the housing. Resistors are usually PTC (Positive Temperature Coefficient), meaning that as they heat up, their resistance increases and draws less current, when it increases enough, the controller thinks the bulb burns out and hyperflashes. It may also be that they have a thermal cutout so that the load resistor is disconnected when it gets too hot, causing the same issue.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,676 Posts
The problem with LED's that have built-in load resistors is exactly the issue you describe. Due to the enclosed space and small package they will overheat after a while. Remember, LED's draw about 1/10th the power of an incandescent bulb, so in order to prevent the controller module from thinking the bulb is burned out and hyperflashing, you need load resistors to draw about 1.5A and dissipate it as heat, that works out to about 20W, and you just can't dissipate that much unless they are external to the housing. Resistors are usually PTC (Positive Temperature Coefficient), meaning that as they heat up, their resistance increases and draws less current, when it increases enough, the controller thinks the bulb burns out and hyperflashes. It may also be that they have a thermal cutout so that the load resistor is disconnected when it gets too hot, causing the same issue.
This is dead on accurate, and why we do not sell the LEDs with built in load resistors.

In an emergency where you need to keep your hazard lights on for more than a few minutes, it will burn them out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts