Kia Optima Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nice work! Any tips on how to remove the stock light cover without breaking it? Also, a question, if I were to use two LED strips shorter than the one you used, one to each side of the middle, perhaps I could feed the wires directly from the stock light in the middle instead of going all the way around to the side, woudl that be feasible? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
56 Posts
I just did this mod with 2 12" red strips. Cant wait till night time to see the trunk all lit up red :)

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I just did this mod with 2 12" red strips. Cant wait till night time to see the trunk all lit up red :)
Post a pic of it please, I def need more light back there just dunno what color I wanna go with so interested in how well the red lights it up at night...

EDIT: Never mind, just picked up 2 x 18" Weatherproof 5050 SMD White LED strips on ebay for $4.75 (good timing when I was searching for em I guess cause there was only 8mins left on the auction)... I hope they are halfway decent but if not not out of pocket to much $$$..

·
02/2014 ROTM
2013 Optima SX
1,260 Posts
J-Trade, we seem to be on the same mod schedule. =) I just purchased 2 sets of lights on Amazon. Each has 4 12" strips. I bought 1 set of White and one set of Red so I could compare. They were about $7 each with two-day shipping (with Amazon Prime). I'll get them Wednesday and suspect I'll install them that evening.

If Brett gets a picture up soon, I might have my mind made up before I even start!

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
J-Trade, we seem to be on the same mod schedule. =) I just purchased 2 sets of lights on Amazon. Each has 4 12" strips. I bought 1 set of White and one set of Red so I could compare. They were about $7 each with two-day shipping (with Amazon Prime). I'll get them Wednesday and suspect I'll install them that evening.

If Brett gets a picture up soon, I might have my mind made up before I even start!
LOL, that is funny... I saw this thread yesterday and was like, OK that is a must do MOD cause the trunk lighting sucks... The ones I got are coming from China but as long as they are 5050SMD LEDs as advertised it should light the trunk up very very well & they were 1/3 of the price of others I could find with 5050SMD LEDs...

Do u have a link to those u purchased? The ones I got are suppose to right at 18 inches long.

This is what the ebay photo looked like...

View attachment 50442

·
02/2014 ROTM
2013 Optima SX
1,260 Posts
Here are the ones I bought: Amazon.com: Cutequeen 30cm LED Car Flexible Waterproof Light Strip White (pack of 4): Automotive

$7, free shipping (with Amazon Prime).

Got them installed tonight. This picture was taken in absolute darkness, other than the trunk lights.

I lowered the rear seats and took this picture from the back seat to try to show how I have the lights laid out. Not an easy picture to take, but I think it came out ok enough to at least give you an idea:

I put spade-connector wire taps on the wires leading to the connector to the existing trunk light. Then I installed these, and routed all 4 positive and all 4 negative wires to a single spade connector and connected them. I taped it all up and used some zip ties to secure them to the trunk lid. You can't see them at all unless you bend down and look for them.

The only problem is that the "3M" adhesive isn't very strong, and I think the ends will come up. But, I'll deal with it if/when they do.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts