Kia Optima Forums banner

81 - 100 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks milk it for your original step by step post. Thanks for everyone else's input who responded back to my question. Lights came out great. Giving myself another pat on the back right now
image.jpg

·
Registered
16 Posts
Another Great Install

A very big thank you to Milkit18 for the excellent direction on how to install LED Tail Lights in a EX. I have just completed install of set of LED Tail Lights in my Dark Cherry 2012 EX, and they look great. I also transferred the Error free LED Turn Signal Bulbs and the 20w Cree Bacl-up LED bulbs I purchased from k5 Optima Store. They look even better in the LED Tail Lights than they did in the orginal tail lights.

Attachments

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2017 Tesla Model X
28,262 Posts
A very big thank you to Milkit18 for the excellent direction on how to install LED Tail Lights in a EX. I have just completed install of set of LED Tail Lights in my Dark Cherry 2012 EX, and they look great. I also transferred the Error free LED Turn Signal Bulbs and the 20w Cree Bacl-up LED bulbs I purchased from k5 Optima Store. They look even better in the LED Tail Lights than they did in the orginal tail lights.
Very nice! :thumbsup:

Only thing is, now that you have the LED tail lights, I would highly recommend looking into The New LED Turn Signal Mod! Should have come OEM on the cars with LED tail lights.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2017 Tesla Model X
28,262 Posts
Where are all you guys buying the led tails
He bought them from a member here on the forum that sold his car I believe. I've sold about six sets to members here on the forum already. Send me a PM if you're interested in picking up a brand new set.

·
Registered
2013 Kia K5
916 Posts
I got lucky and picked up a new pair of take offs. They had minor scuffs on them, but were brand new for $300.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2012 Kia Optima
1,684 Posts
i just bought mine off of another member, mine has a small chip in a corner... where it's not even noticeable. got it for $300 local pick up.
If you're willing to scour the classified section for an year, you'll eventually find one

·
Premium Member
2012 Kia Optima
1,684 Posts
hey guys so i didn't realize this but my brake lights for the trunk parts weren't lighting up. So i'm guessing that's cause i don't have wire going from driver-fender tails to the two in the trunk. I've been looking at this DIY but how do you take the clip off of the tail light?

NVM got it!! place your hand very very low or close to the black clip and pull up gently while placing your thumb under the clip for support

·
Premium Member
2012 Kia Optima
1,684 Posts
I'd recommend going with the messier but easier installation. I tried doing this but i almost ended up breaking few clips while trying to pull the metal tabs out...

·
Registered
263 Posts
Hey guys!

Thanks for this awesome write up! Wiring and install took....probably an hour and 15 minutes? Super easy.

For those of you concerned about breaking clips and pulling tabs, don't be. I didn't go through all that (mostly for the same reasons). Instead, I just 'military spliced' into each respective wire. (Mostly because I got me a pair of new self adjusting wire strippers....that I just HAD to have :D).

If you need help, shoot me a PM :)

-B

·
Registered
2013 Optima SWP
433 Posts
Not sure if anyone still needs a diagram but I sketched one up. It's crude as I made it in Paint, but I think it does a pretty good job of explaining what should be done. I made this from what Milkit18 did with his lights and not wanting to touch the wires coming from the car. From what I understand, all the wiring is done on the LED lights themselves and then simply plug in to the connectors coming from the car.

Feel free to let me know if this doesn't work as I look to make the swap one day myself. So if anyone who has done it could confirm if this would work I'd appreciate it!

Thanks Milkit18 and everyone else for the ideas!

Kia Optima LED Tail Light Wiring.jpg

81 - 100 of 107 Posts