Kia Optima Forums banner

41 - 60 of 107 Posts

·
KDMnation Chicago
780 Posts
I found a lot easier and quicker way of doing this. Instead of trying to pull the prongs out of the harness and solder your splice wires to them, just use quick splices. (Fender lights) Put a QS (quick splice) on the black wire and T it to the black and yellow wire with another QS on that one. Then put a QS on the green wire and a long wire off that QS to reach the trunk llight. (Trunk lights) Put a quick splice on the green wire and a long wire off it to reach your fender light. This way you don't have to mess around with getting the prongs out of the harnesses, and you don't have to fiddle with a soldering iron. I took me literally less then 5 minutes to do all the wiring to the LED tail lights. Im not trying to down this DIY just trying to make it easier for everyone.

·
Registered
2012 kia optima
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
My whole point was to NOT touch the stock harness for easy swap.
If u found a better way. I'm all for it.
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Update....US spec LED Inner lamps installed....On non-US models with rear fogs, the harness already has allowance to power the tails. It is the lamp itself that is missing the extra pin for the tails. Snapped connectors together and....voila!....the tails work! Plug and play basically. Looks like I have to find a power feed for the stoplamps and wire that in with the foglamp pti to the lamp as that still works. View attachment 8845 View attachment 8846 View attachment 8847

G'day fellow Aussie! Thanks for the post, I have been wondering how to do this for a while. Just to clarify all you did was purchase "US spec LED Inner lamps" and swap them with our "fog lamps" and there was no wiring required? Also where did you purchase said "US spec LED Inner lamps"?

Cheers.

·
KDMnation Chicago
780 Posts
My whole point was to NOT touch the stock harness for easy swap.
If u found a better way. I'm all for it.
:thumbsup:
I didn't touch the stock harness. I did exactly what you did just instead of soldering the wires together I used quick splices. I am glad you made this DIY because Im glad I can just switch back at anytime for warranty issues if I ever have any. I just wanted to post what I think was a faster and easier way of doing this DIY. No disrespect.

·
Registered
8 Posts
quick question about LED tails... im looking to buy an inside right tail light. it is the last piece i need to complete the set! the problem is that it is missing 1 of the mounting studs. it still has 2 of the 3. will this have any major impact on installation? will there be issues when in use (falling out/coming loose)? can it be replaced?

·
Registered
2012 kia optima
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
quick question about LED tails... im looking to buy an inside right tail light. it is the last piece i need to complete the set! the problem is that it is missing 1 of the mounting studs. it still has 2 of the 3. will this have any major impact on installation? will there be issues when in use (falling out/coming loose)? can it be replaced?
I think u should be fine. It will wiggle alittle but if u can get it for cheap go for it.

·
2014 ROTY
2016 Cadillac ATS Luxury
2,575 Posts
Got mine installed today. This post was a big help. I also used quick splices and it made it super easy.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I bet! I'm hoping they come down in price as the $600-700 I seen them selling for is just not within my budget.
Pretty much.

however if you buy them piece by piece they work out to like 350-400. That's what a few people here are doing.

·
Registered
2013 Kia K5
916 Posts
I'd like to know where to get them this cheap. I can't find individual pieces at decent prices. I found a seller on eBay that says they are OEM for $540 shipped.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
798 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia K5
916 Posts
These are trunk only. By the time I spent $270 here and bought each side I'm still looking at over $500. Might as well buy the OEM ones I found on eBay for $540.

·
2014 ROTY
2016 Cadillac ATS Luxury
2,575 Posts
In my opinion, wait for a better deal. I am as impatient as they come and it took me 5 months to get a deal I was happy with and people have gotten better deals than me. It will come around, you can always tint your tails until you find them.

·
Registered
2013 Kia K5
916 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia K5
916 Posts
I sounded kind of rude when I said that. I just don't like them for safety reasons. I don't want to dim my lights just for looks. Reason why I want LEDs. I like the look and much brighter. Anyone ever call the dealer and price LEDs? $507/side. $1,014! ****!

41 - 60 of 107 Posts