1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
2012 kia optima
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good day,
I just installed my LED tails on my EX
I didnt wanna Tap/splice/Hack or rather touch the stock socket harness. So i came up with what i call a CLEANER install ( more OEMish )
Using this guide ..(Thanks !!!)
http://www.kia-forums.com/attachment...ory-led-00.pdf

My fender side leds did not light up at all. Basically the guide says that you need to tap the black wire with the blk/yellow wire.
Well i jumped the pins behind the socket. And it worked so i basically just soldered wires together. You dont need to solder, you can just secure a jumper wire and etc or tap the two wires as shown:
This is for the fender side LEDS
I pulled the white socket clip out so i can get to the back of it.

Pop the above clip

insert tiny flat head and lift up. while lifting pull wire out.

Secure jumper wire by "T"ing or soldering. Black Wire and Black w/ yellow stripe together

reinsert as shown. make sure you hear the click!

Do the same for the soild GREEN wire . This is what will power ur trunk Brake lights. I used a 18 gauge loose 7" wire that i will be connecting to the trunk light.

Should look like this when done

Trunk Lights :
Do the same for these
Pull the SOLID GREEN wire.

when done reassemble

All the did was connect the black wires from each section ( one from the fender to the trunk) Left side to the left side trunk lid. Right fender tail to the right trunk lid. Or you can just T the right trunk lid wire to the left one.
tested it :

It works ! LED tails on the left and Stock ones on the Right

I did not have to Touch my stock harness. So i can swap to my regular bulb Tails anytime. And should be less of a hassle with the dealer.

WOW so it looks like photo bucket blackmailing my photos. Unless I pay 100$ a yr. for them to host these photos. I get the same message when I click the thumbnail on their site.

·
Registered
65 Posts
nice writeup...i had used the splice tap method on mine and took the car to the dealer for warranty work to adjust the trunk lid and they didn't even mention the LEDs.

·
Registered
2012 kia optima
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nice writeup...i had used the splice tap method on mine and took the car to the dealer for warranty work to adjust the trunk lid and they didn't even mention the LEDs.
Im just worried I may have an issue one day with something electrical and they may blame it on the hack job. I just don't wanna give them more reason.

·
Registered
2012 kia optima
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ur 2nd link is of the bulb type STOCK housings on LX and non-turbo EX models

1st link is of the turbo-EX and sx models.They are the LED ones

·
Registered
111 Posts
Just got back this moring from Phoenix. Got the tails installed. The HID kit for the fron and hi beams are the wrong ones. Have to send them back then i'll take another trip to Phoenix and then I'm done.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Wow this looks real complex for me. I've never done anything with wiring. Anyone in NJ or close by that would be able to help me get these installed??

·
Registered
64 Posts
Haha no way man. Would you be able to help me out with this? I can pay you if you want! I want to do it the same way you did so that I can swap back at the end of my lease.

Let me know. PM me if you want.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hey guys, anyone looking for a side to side comparison of the stock non-LED tails from the LX and EX vs. the stock LED tails from the EX Turbo and SX, I found an awesome video which shows them both on the same car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Milkit18 : I have a non-turbo EX 2012. I do not see LED style bulbs on my tail lights. I only see 4 regular bulbs. I am wondering how this mod will work on mine. Did you have to buy a LED light kit seperately. Could you please explain? Thx.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts