Kia Optima Forums banner

161 - 178 of 178 Posts

·
Former Administrator
2011 K5 Turbo
6,926 Posts
Let me add a very important note about this DIY:

When he mentions that there's another wire that is also blue/orange (pin 22), don't make the same mistake I did and splice into that one instead of pin 26. The wire on pin 22 one goes directly to the horn relay, and as soon as you hook your negative terminal back up to the battery, the horn will go full blast. I almost needed to change my underwear after that one.

·
Your K5 Optima Store Rep
2012 Kia Optima
1,818 Posts

When he mentions that there's another wire that is also blue/orange (pin 22), don't make the same mistake I did and splice into that one instead of pin 26. The wire on pin 22 one goes directly to the horn relay, and as soon as you hook your negative terminal back up to the battery, the horn will go full blast. I almost needed to change my underwear after that one.
Thats awesome and funny.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #163

LOL... sorry Munky. I still need to find those pics someone sent me to add to the DIY. It should help everyone with pin orientations and such.

Your switchbacks all good now?

·
Former Administrator
2011 K5 Turbo
6,926 Posts
Yep! The second set works great. Don't really know what the difference is, but I don't care.

I'm just sad I didn't get a chance to make the video DIY that I wanted to, my camera was dead and I was running short on time.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
256 Posts
Lol after months of these lights sitting in my garage I finally got the balls to install them and they where so easy to install with this write up.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
256 Posts
Ya they look awesome. They arent hard to install at all just gotta read the write up thoroughly amd and just go for it

·
Registered
101 Posts
What's going on guys and gals. Been a Lil while since I've been on here took a bit of break from visiting so I wasn't constantly compelled to blow all my money on mods. Anyway...recently I've been having trouble with my k5optima front left switchback only working as a turn signal. I noticed this about last week and was originally able to get it going again with alittle Russian troubleshooting...aka banging the headlight fixture moderately and it turned back on. I think it was working for a few days, then I just took a trip down to VA for business and noticed that it's not working as the white running lamp anymore. I just did some troubleshooting again with the banging it and it didn't turn back on. So I swapped the two to see if it was an issue with the one switchback but it's working fine on the other side and now the other one doesn't work as the running lamp in that socket. Does anyone know what could cause this? Especially that it still works perfectly fine as a turn signal? What was curious also was that I originally put the one from the otherside in the wrong way and the yellow was working fine as the "running lamp" but when put in correctly the white doesn't work for the running lamp. Any help would be much appreciated, I'm completely puzzled. Apologies if this has been posted before I'm about to travel back to NY and don't have time to scan the forum.

Thanks!

·
Your K5 Optima Store Rep
2012 Kia Optima
1,818 Posts
MGM, with the side you are having an issue on, try seeing if the connection inside the holder or the prongs inside the holder are pushed to much down. Take the holder out and see if you can bend the contact up just a bit to see if that helps. Maybe one of the prongs isn't making contact. Let me know if that helps.

Eric

·
Registered
2012 Kia Optima
418 Posts
Check your load resistor. Mine came loose and had the same issue

·
Registered
101 Posts
MGM, with the side you are having an issue on, try seeing if the connection inside the holder or the prongs inside the holder are pushed to much down. Take the holder out and see if you can bend the contact up just a bit to see if that helps. Maybe one of the prongs isn't making contact. Let me know if that helps.

Eric
Thanks, I thought about that but didn't have any tools with me on the road that I could try that. I'love give that a try when I get out of work today. Fingers crossed because I hate having one of them out, looks like I don't take care of my car and loses that awesome look of the all white lights.

---------- Post added at 04:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:33 PM ----------

Ok cool I'll give that a looksy if bending the prongs up doesn't fix it. I'm kind of thinking it's the prongs though because it started working the first time when I banged it and my resistors are installed next to my fuse terminal under the dash.

---------- Post added at 05:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:36 PM ----------

Sweet...I'm back in action. Thanks Eric for the suggestion worked like a charm. I got nervous because I fixed the socket with the problem and then all of a sudden the right side went out. So I thought it might be either the resistors not handling both or possibly something else. But I did the same thing for the right bulb socket and now I have both working perfectly. Hopefully they stay working good for a while because I'm sure the more I have to bend them the quicker they'll start to fail, but it's a pretty easy fix, could be worse. Now I just have to remember to carry a small flathead screwdriver with me at all times so I can keep my car looking fresh.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Optima
68 Posts
Hey guys! So I tried installing my resistors using this method and Im having a bit of a problem. So I followed everything on this diy but when I test my lights only the driver side will blink. They both light up white but the passenger side wont blink. Also the driver side still hyper flashes while the passenger side does not. Anybody think that they have a solution to this problem?

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Had this problem a while back. Try swapping bulbs, and if that doesn't work, try various combinations of swapped bulbs and bulb housings. Worked for me. Not sure why, but it worked.

However, if you swap bulbs and have the same problem no matter what side the bulb is in, it's probably a bad bulb.

Also, if you still have problems check your connections. Once you do that, and it still doesn't work, I don't see much else than getting an exchange on the bulbs and the resistors.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Optima
68 Posts
Had this problem a while back. Try swapping bulbs, and if that doesn't work, try various combinations of swapped bulbs and bulb housings. Worked for me. Not sure why, but it worked.

However, if you swap bulbs and have the same problem no matter what side the bulb is in, it's probably a bad bulb.

Also, if you still have problems check your connections. Once you do that, and it still doesn't work, I don't see much else than getting an exchange on the bulbs and the resistors.
Well I already switched the bulbs to fix one problem where one would light up orange and the other white and that fixed that. Maybe Ill try seeing what happens if I switch the housings.

The connections on the resistors should all be good because I double checked them and the resistors do get hot when the lights are on so I do not think its the resistors.

---------- Post added at 05:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:13 PM ----------

I switched the housings and it just reversed the problem to where the passenger side now blinks and the driver side does not :/

Maybe its a connection on that one housing

·
Registered
52 Posts
I had all kinds of weirdness with mine. Make sure the ignition is completely off when you make ANY changes. The computer gets confused easily. Once I was consistent with that, it seemed to solve all of my issues.

·
Registered
2018 Optima 2018 Optima EX
34 Posts
FYI. I know this is an old thread, but on my new 2018 Optima EX, the "fishtail" to unlock and remove the bulb holder is black, not white as it appears to be on the original models that this post concerned.
Makes it a little harder to see with all the other black around it, but now that I know what to look for, no problem.

161 - 178 of 178 Posts