Kia Optima Forums banner

141 - 160 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
Sure does. i just wanted to make sure i was on the same page. do you all have a recommendation for a good ground location? Also the resistors wire isnt very long... is that going to be a problem?

Tate
If you use the location I did for mounting the resistors... I believe the provided length of wire is sufficient. You will have to extend the other ends though. There are 2 10mm bolts I think (I describe it in the DIY) that is used to hold on a metal bracket. You can ground with the top bolt. I should have taken more pictures guys. Sorry about that. A member was kind enough to provide me with additional photos to update the writeup... I have since lost those and will try to see if I can locate them. Sorry bout that.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Optima 2012 Kia Optima SX
46 Posts
Step 7 of the DIY has the best spot bud. I copied this from the DIY. This is all Crystalworks hard work and research NOT mine. I want to give credit where its due.

"Step 7: Resistors are prepped. Go ahead and mount them as I did here using 3M double sided adhesive, otherwise known as trim tape. There might be other places to mount these but I chose this spot because it is close to a ground point, is on unpainted metal, and is a reasonable distance from any plastic or wiring. I tested with the hazards on for an hour and there were no ill effects from the mod. I also added some heavy duty zip ties around the wires of the resistors, one on top and one on bottom. This is just in case the double sided tape ever fails. It will keep the resistors from just falling onto something they could melt or (if you left enough wire) down onto your feet while you were driving. Ouch! These things operate at around 250 degrees. Go ahead and use the 2 bolts that hold the metal bar to the reinforcement to ground the resistors at this point. You can use either bolt... I used the top bolt because it made for shorter wires. Remember to run your wires in a manner they will not get cut by the sharp metal edges that are all around the area. If it happened it would not be a catastrophe though as it is a ground anyway. It wouldn't become a problem until it started cutting into the wires themselves. BUT, nobody likes frayed shielding on the wires in the first place so just make sure it doesn't happen."

You should have enough wire for the resistors in the spot mentioned above. You need to add some wire to the other side of the resistors that connect to harness
If you use the location I did for mounting the resistors... I believe the provided length of wire is sufficient.You will have to extend the other ends though. There are 2 10mm bolts I think (I describe it in the DIY) that is used to hold on a metal bracket.You can ground with the top bolt. I should have taken more pictures guys. Sorry about that. A member was kind enough to provide me with additional photos to update the writeup... I have since lost those and will try to see if I can locate them. Sorry bout that.
Okay guys, i appreciate all the help. I just have ZERO knowledge on the wiring. I wouldnt even know what i would need to extrend the wire or what the harness is? im hoping my buddy will understand all you guys. He has been in the car mod game for a while.

thanks,
Tate

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2017 Tesla Model X
28,215 Posts
Okay guys, i appreciate all the help. I just have ZERO knowledge on the wiring. I wouldnt even know what i would need to extrend the wire or what the harness is? im hoping my buddy will understand all you guys. He has been in the car mod game for a while.

thanks,
Tate
Hey Tate,

I also don't have a ton of experience with wiring up resistors either. I ended up bringing it to a shop and watched them install them for me in about 20 minutes flat. They charged me $20 and I was on my way. Hopefully your friend will be able to help you out with it. Let us know.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hey Tate,

I also don't have a ton of experience with wiring up resistors either. I ended up bringing it to a shop and watched them install them for me in about 20 minutes flat. They charged me $20 and I was on my way. Hopefully your friend will be able to help you out with it. Let us know.
You all will be the first to know, and it will be by video. Im hoping my buddy can help me out. But if not i dont mind taking it to a shop. but in my town i dont really have much. I believe most places dont really specialize in that kind of stuff. Like Goodyear, or jiffy lube. maybe i can take it to midas? i think thats where i took my old car to get an exhaust system done.

I really want to get it done this weekend. its killin me to have this in my possesion and not have it installed.

Tate

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2017 Tesla Model X
28,215 Posts
You all will be the first to know, and it will be by video. Im hoping my buddy can help me out. But if not i dont mind taking it to a shop. but in my town i dont really have much. I believe most places dont really specialize in that kind of stuff. Like Goodyear, or jiffy lube. maybe i can take it to midas? i think thats where i took my old car to get an exhaust system done.

I really want to get it done this weekend. its killin me to have this in my possesion and not have it installed.

Tate
For sure well if he can't figure it out, shoot me an email and I will help you find someone in your area to get it done. ;)

·
Your K5 Optima Store Rep
2012 Kia Optima
1,818 Posts
word. Appreciate the hospitality.

Tate
Tate, just have your buddy follow the DIY and you will be fine. Trust me. Until I did this mod I had never done this kind of stuff. If I can do it Im sure you guys can. If you need more help the day of just shoot me an email at [email protected] that way I get it real quick and can answer any questions.

BTW- Crystalworks hope you don't mind me filling up the thread. You get all the credit for this sir. ;)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Tate, just have your buddy follow the DIY and you will be fine. Trust me. Until I did this mod I had never done this kind of stuff. If I can do it Im sure you guys can. If you need more help the day of just shoot me an email at [email protected] that way I get it real quick and can answer any questions.

BTW- Crystalworks hope you don't mind me filling up the thread. You get all the credit for this sir. ;)
Whats the worst that can happen....

haha ill let you all know how it goes.

Tate

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #149

Not at all. You and David are helping out a member. That's what this is here for. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
46 Posts
yoyoyoyo,

So I havent tried it yet. but last night I did notice that when I locked my car enough to make it beep my right light we from orange to white...because currently have the led's installed since i was to lazy to put back the factory but after I failed with the resistors. but after seeing he white light I pumped get this on. hopefully tomorrow...

on another note whats a good alternative to soldering? can I just entwine the wires together and wrap electrical tape around them?

tate

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
yoyoyoyo,

So I havent tried it yet. but last night I did notice that when I locked my car enough to make it beep my right light we from orange to white...because currently have the led's installed since i was to lazy to put back the factory but after I failed with the resistors. but after seeing he white light I pumped get this on. hopefully tomorrow...

on another note whats a good alternative to soldering? can I just entwine the wires together and wrap electrical tape around them?

tate
You can... but I wouldn't call that a "good" alternative. If you are going to go this route. Do this: after stripping the insulation (about a half inch) split the exposed wiring with a razor blade, so it looks like the eye of a needle but larger. Strip about an inch and a half off the resistor wire. Then thread your exposed resistor wire through the "eyelet" you created. Then wrap the wire around the factory wire and electric tape that. This gives you at least a little mechanical attachment and are not just relying on the electric tape.

Hope that makes sense to you... simply wrapping the wire around the exposed factory wire and electric taping will work, but the above works much better. After you electric tape it, put a zip tie over the electric tape. It keeps the tape from ever coming off.

·
Registered
46 Posts
You can... but I wouldn't call that a "good" alternative. If you are going to go this route. Do this: after stripping the insulation (about a half inch) split the exposed wiring with a razor blade, so it looks like the eye of a needle but larger. Strip about an inch and a half off the resistor wire. Then thread your exposed resistor wire through the "eyelet" you created. Then wrap the wire around the factory wire and electric tape that. This gives you at least a little mechanical attachment and are not just relying on the electric tape.

Hope that makes sense to you... simply wrapping the wire around the exposed factory wire and electric taping will work, but the above works much better. After you electric tape it, put a zip tie over the electric tape. It keeps the tape from ever coming off.
Perfect thanks

TATE

·
Registered
46 Posts
Guys,

This diagram is for IPA: A but in the directions it says IPA: D? Which one should I be tapping into?

Tate

---------- Post added at 02:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:18 PM ----------

Guys,

This diagram is for IPA: A but in the directions it says IPA: D? Which one should I be tapping into?

Tate
Disregard,

Sorry just saw the I/p d one on the first post..

tate

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2017 Tesla Model X
28,215 Posts
If you decide to upgrade your HID bulbs, we can get them matching for you no problem. The factory bulbs are going to be 4300k.

Cool video, thanks for sharing. I'm jealous of how clean and how much room you have in your garage. I can barely move in mine. ;)

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
here it is...only complaint I have is the color doesn't match the headlight as much as I would like...but o well still looks pretty good. sorry for the glare maybe ill load a better one next time
Glad you were able to get it done. Looks good. Makes a huge difference to the front end of the car IMO.

·
Registered
46 Posts
If you decide to upgrade your HID bulbs, we can get them matching for you no problem. The factory bulbs are going to be 4300k.

Cool video, thanks for sharing. I'm jealous of how clean and how much room you have in your garage. I can barely move in mine. ;)
May have to look into it... and yes my garage is clean because i dont own anything!!

Tate

---------- Post added at 09:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 AM ----------

Glad you were able to get it done. Looks good. Makes a huge difference to the front end of the car IMO.

Thanks, and it absolutely does, just need to do the side markers now.

Tate

---------- Post added at 09:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 AM ----------

Looks good man.
Appreciate you sir!

Tate

141 - 160 of 178 Posts