Kia Optima Forums banner

181 - 184 of 184 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
I don't use this setup, but I can already tell you that load resistors both have no business being inside your cabin, and have no business being used continually...

I use load resistors for my own LED turn signals only for the exact reason you specified: Heat. Components that get hot and are not OEM installed have no place anywhere in your vehicle cabin.

Instead, I put mine right next to each turn signal housing, and lined the nearby plastics with foil.

The only exception to this is the 5th resistor, which is on the LED high beam circuit, and sits on a metal rail under the battery, and away from any other wires...

The point? get your load resistors away from plastics, and preferably out of your cabin altogether.
Thanks for the reply. I actually was feeling the resistors after driving The other day and they were very cool compared to what I was thinking...it was maybe slightly warm. I’ll have to do a test where I leave the hazards flashing for like a half hour and do a temperature check and see if I really need to move them.
As for the heated plastic smell, it may have been coming from something else...all the extra led’s I’ve installed are still functioning and powered, but the passenger/right HID lowbeam headlight and switchback turn signal sh*t the bed 2 days ago...sorry for the crude expression. I’m hoping it may be just a loose harness or maybe a blown fuse? Haven’t had time to troubleshoot, glad I didn’t encounter any cops the past two nights...but I guess I would’ve been ok with my eyeline switchbacks and side mirror turn signals still working. Best case scenario it’s just a loose plug on the harness from when I recently tapped into the harness and installed the eyeline switchbacks...otherwise it’s a short somewhere and I need to troubleshoot my passenger side wiring and fuses.

anyone have any tips or tricks for giving my setup a good troubleshooting and make sure everything is ok? Would a laser thermometer work to find any wires that may need to be bigger gauged or potentially problem areas? I don’t think that’s an issue because I installed verylow wattage leds except for the turn signal replacement switchbacks from this thread, and probably used way overkill wires, and I soldered all connections and heat wrap or electrical tape all connections.

I love and hate wiring up my own stuff...love it when it turns out great 99% of the time, but that other 1% of the time, like now, I’m ready to punch my fist through my windshield in frustration. It may just be a coincidence and not even the fault of anything I wired up...hopefully I can figure it out tomorrow finally on my day off.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
443 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I actually was feeling the resistors after driving The other day and they were very cool compared to what I was thinking...it was maybe slightly warm. I’ll have to do a test where I leave the hazards flashing for like a half hour and do a temperature check and see if I really need to move them.
As for the heated plastic smell, it may have been coming from something else...all the extra led’s I’ve installed are still functioning and powered, but the passenger/right HID lowbeam headlight and switchback turn signal sh*t the bed 2 days ago...sorry for the crude expression. I’m hoping it may be just a loose harness or maybe a blown fuse? Haven’t had time to troubleshoot, glad I didn’t encounter any cops the past two nights...but I guess I would’ve been ok with my eyeline switchbacks and side mirror turn signals still working. Best case scenario it’s just a loose plug on the harness from when I recently tapped into the harness and installed the eyeline switchbacks...otherwise it’s a short somewhere and I need to troubleshoot my passenger side wiring and fuses.

anyone have any tips or tricks for giving my setup a good troubleshooting and make sure everything is ok? Would a laser thermometer work to find any wires that may need to be bigger gauged or potentially problem areas? I don’t think that’s an issue because I installed verylow wattage leds except for the turn signal replacement switchbacks from this thread, and probably used way overkill wires, and I soldered all connections and heat wrap or electrical tape all connections.

I love and hate wiring up my own stuff...love it when it turns out great 99% of the time, but that other 1% of the time, like now, I’m ready to punch my fist through my windshield in frustration. It may just be a coincidence and not even the fault of anything I wired up...hopefully I can figure it out tomorrow finally on my day off.
If you're looking for resistive loads that are heating up, a thermal camera is the best option, as it will quickly show which wires are getting hotter than they should.

A good troubleshooting tip is to check each LED connection to ground when the vehicle is off with a voltmeter. You should see no voltage at all. If you see voltage, you may have a short somewhere. But, if you've grounded everything correctly, you should be fine.

Still, I'd look into that plastic smell, maybe some shavings from another job fell on the heater coils, or the engine exhaust manifold...

·
Registered
120 Posts
yea so $280 plus labor later I’m getting my passenger side HID replaced. I was concerned with condensation in both my headlights, wonder if that’s what cause my one HID to fail...I guess they are like 9 years old at this point so I’m not too angry that I had to replace one.
Any tips on finding and fixing a “leak” causing moisture to get in to the headlight housing? It’s seems from the car being in storage in my garage for like 3 years and then the recent snowfall moisture was making its way in somewhere and I definitely want to try and correct this, for appearance sake but also so I don’t have a premature failure of another light. Was thinking of baking them open potentially to replace the said marker lense with a clear/white diffuse film so I can get rid of the ugly amber side marker/parking light, so I guess I could just make sure to seal it up properly then...but was hoping to stop any new moisture from getting in until then, because I probably will not be getting to do theside marker swap until like spring.

As for the plasticy smell I’m hoping it’s something benign or possibly due to maybe a clogged filter...I had the dealership replace both the cabin air and engine filter...thinking it could be some insulation or something stuck in the heater possibly...I changed it a few months ago and the amount of random stuff I had to vacuum outthat was sitting on my old filter was alarming...I think there must’ve been a squirrel living in my garage that knocked a bunch of random debris and insulation onto and then sucked into my cabin filter over the years when I’d start it periodically....linked a picture of the old filter and all the crap I had to vacuum and blow out of my cabin air filter “box”. I wouldn’t be surprised if some stuff fell down past the filter then was sucked into the heating element in there...I did my best to shop vac it out and then used a leaf blower but could’ve had some stuff still in there...will have to look into it further if The dealership changing both filters again doesn’t work and I can’t find a wiring issue causing the smell.

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
If you're looking for resistive loads that are heating up, a thermal camera is the best option, as it will quickly show which wires are getting hotter than they should.

A good troubleshooting tip is to check each LED connection to ground when the vehicle is off with a voltmeter. You should see no voltage at all. If you see voltage, you may have a short somewhere. But, if you've grounded everything correctly, you should be fine.

Still, I'd look into that plastic smell, maybe some shavings from another job fell on the heater coils, or the engine exhaust manifold...
So got my car back from dealership...I think they must’ve smelled the slight heated plastic smell too and just yanked my led wiring out of the fuse box cause now my door handle leds and undercar lighting are not working...didn’t have time to check yesterday after I got it back but I’m assuming that’s what they did...otherwise I got more problems developing lol. I’m mad cause they didn’t even mention anything about it, probably cause they didn’t end up fixing it with removing my low wattage parallel led lead.

So I didn’t waste money on a new turn signal since I run these switchbacks. Probably going to get a new pair of resistors with the new replacement set I’m ordering, just to be safe in case these resistors are slowly failing or something...and will likely just find a nice spot to mount them in the engine bay...any recommendations? Come to think of it, I used to smoke cigarettes so I may just never have smelled a smell coming from them. But if I still have the smell after the new switchbacks and resistors moved to the engine bay then Laser infrared thermometer it is.

181 - 184 of 184 Posts