Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2014 SX Turbo
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
At first glance and initial thinking, this mod looks extremely difficult. However, after actually doing it myself it was extremely simple. I would rate it a 2.5/10 on the difficulty scale (and I am NOT a car guy at all).

Big thanks to David at K5 Optima Store for an excellent product and fast shipping. The LED brake light matches the other LED lights perfectly and looks stock, 100% satisfied.

DIY: LED Roof Spoiler

K5 Optima Store - LED Roof Spoiler

Tools Required:

Plastic Knife
Star Screwdriver
Duct Tape
Electrical Tape
Metal Knife/Flat Head Screwdriver
Scissors
Window Cleaner

1. First, clean the upper portion of your rear glass with a window cleaner. I used Windex. It is only necessary to clean the top ¼ as this is where the tape will be applied. Ensure it is clean and dry before moving on.

2. Now, unwrap your roof spoiler. Ensure it is not damaged and the wire is not compromised. Locate the two hooks on each side of the spoiler. These will be important when you mount the spoiler – they must go down and up under the rear glass.

3. Now it’s time to mount the spoiler. This is the most difficult part. It is much easier with two people and I highly recommend you get someone to help you to ensure you apply it evenly and correctly the first time, as the tape is very strong once it touches the glass. Peel off the double sided tape. Ensure the wire is hanging away from underneath the spoiler, and that it’s above the spoiler. (Up near the shark fin/roof) Line up the roof spoiler, ensuring the hooks are down under the glass. Once it’s lined up and straight, press down firmly on the spoiler for a few minutes to ensure the tape sticks to the glass strongly. Taking a hair dryer to the spoiler to heat up the adhesive will help it stick firmer – or do it out in the blazing sun. If you apply the spoiler and it isn’t straight, quickly rip it off and re-apply it. You don’t want to let it sit there for too long if you do happen to make a mistake.

4. Now that the spoiler is mounted, the rest of the installation is smooth sailing. Grab your plastic knife and gently push the wire under the glass. As you push it under and work your way down to the trunk, very gently pull the wire so it sits tight under the glass. This ensures it won’t pop up and/or you run out of wire length. At some points it may be difficult to push the wire under the glass – if this happens, turn the wire sideways so it is horizontal instead of vertical. This will give you a little more clearance.

5. Once you get down to the trunk, push the wire underneath the two corner pieces of rubber weather stripping (where they meet). Now, run the wire across the trunk corner piece. Lift up the rubber seal (it will take some force – it’s glued on). Run the wire over the metal edge and under the rubber seal. Apply some duct tape where the wire will be sitting, as you do not want the somewhat sharp metal edge to eventually fray and cut the wire.

6. Okay, so now the wire should just be hanging down into the trunk. Before we move on, ensure the wire is tucked away and pull tight (but not too tight that you rip it). As you can see in these pictures, you cannot see the wire anywhere. You CAN see the wire when the trunk is open. Unless you want to start drilling holes, there is no way to avoid this.

7. Now, this is where you have a decision to make. There are 3 different ways to wire this. You can splice it into the stock 3rd brake light, the inner taillight or the outer taillight. The most difficult way would be into the stock 3rd brake light. If you choose to go up to the inner taillight, you will need to extend the wires that came with the spoiler. A quick stop to your local hardware store would solve that. If you go to the outer taillight, your wire is already dangling right next to it.

I chose to go to the inner taillight because I did not want to do the extra work and hassle to tap into the 3rd brake light, and am planning on doing more wiring mods in the future whereby tapping into the inner taillight may alleviate some frustration in the future.

8. Remove the trunk lid liner. To do this, locate the trunk inner handle. Use your metal knife or flathead screwdriver to pry open the little cover where the slit is. Unscrew the two screws and stow them in a safe spot.

9. Locate the plastic screws that hold the liner in. Remove all of them on the left hand side. Stow these in a safe place. You can now gently pull the liner over the rubber bumpers and trunk latch. There are 5 plastic screws to remove in total. If you find you need more room to work, then remove the plastic screws on the right hand side as well.

^ Picture of the plastic screws removed. ^

^ Picture of plastic screws removed and trunk liner slid off latch and bumpers. ^

10. Run the wire up along the trunk hinge until it runs out. At this point, extend the wire by splicing it into another. Use your metal knife or scissors to strip the wire coating. Tape electrical tape around the splice. Continue running the wire up the trunk hinge until you get to the trunk liner.

11. Locate a solid green wire (brake light) and one of two black wires (negative grounds). Ensure it is the SOLID green wire and NOT the green wire with a black stripe. Cut both with your scissors. Take the red spoiler wire and splice it to the green taillight brake light wire. Take the black spoiler wire and splice it with the black taillight wire. Make sure you wrap them generously in electrical tape. It’s also important to leave some slack with the wire, as you don’t want to rip the wire anywhere when closing and opening the trunk. Test out closing the trunk slowly to ensure this won’t be a problem.

12. Have someone press your brake pedal and ensure the roof spoiler is working. If so, great! Tidy up the wires and put the trunk liner back on. If it isn’t working, ensure your splices are tight and wired properly. (Again, red spoiler wire goes to solid green brake light wire. Black spoiler wire goes with one of the two black taillight wires [grounds])

You're finished! Complete any remaining wire cleanup, and open/close the trunk a few times to make sure nothing will be getting caught. Again, the only place you will see the wire is when the trunk is open. This is inevitable.

Finished Result

·
02/2015 ROTM
770 Posts
Awesome write up!

·
Registered
2011 Optima SX
2,429 Posts
Looks good but you wired it the hard way!
You could have just tapped into the outer break light and not the trunk lid light! lol
It would have cut 20 minutes off your install because you wouldn't have to take that freaking trunk lid cover off! :p

·
Registered
2014 SX Turbo
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Looks good but you wired it the hard way!
You could have just tapped into the outer break light and not the trunk lid light! lol
It would have cut 20 minutes off your install because you wouldn't have to take that freaking trunk lid cover off! :p
It's not anymore difficult, and it only took 5 minutes to take the liner off. That's including taking pictures ;). I mentioned all of this in the DIY that there are 3 different ways to wire this. By no means does someone following this guide have to follow it 100%, but that's the beauty of it because the wires are all the same no matter how you do it; just different locations.

The only reason I went to the inner is because I am doing the LED turn signal mod and bumper reflectors in the near future, and wasn't sure if this mod would add more work to those if it was hooked up to the outer, so I wired it to the inner to get it out of the way.

Thank you everyone for your positive feedback! I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
2014 SX Turbo
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
are you going to disable the stock 3rd break light ?
As of right now, no. I like the look of it and don't mind having more lights on when braking.

That's not to say I won't in the future if I get tired of the look. Since everything is LED and matches, it looks good. That's just my opinion though.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
75 Posts
Love the look adding this to my mod wishlist for sure. Thanks for the great write up. Question though, if you wired it to the trunk brake light and do the turn signal mod wont it flash with the turn signal on that side?

·
Registered
2014 SX Turbo
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Love the look adding this to my mod wishlist for sure. Thanks for the great write up. Question though, if you wired it to the trunk brake light and do the turn signal mod wont it flash with the turn signal on that side?
The whole trunk spoiler will flash. I wired up my turn signal mod today and just realized this (doh!).

All that is necessary is to de-splice the spoiler wires, re-splice them to stock, and run the spoiler wires down into the body harness wires, BEFORE the module. Problem solved ;)

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
75 Posts
The whole trunk spoiler will flash. I wired up my turn signal mod today and just realized this (doh!).

All that is necessary is to de-splice the spoiler wires, re-splice them to stock, and run the spoiler wires down into the body harness wires, BEFORE the module. Problem solved ;)
**** kinda wish I had been wrong on that one lol.

·
Chatterbox
2012 kia Optima
210 Posts
love this. have to pick one of these up for myself, without the 3rd light though. great write up too

1 - 20 of 21 Posts