Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got my daughter led headlights (RGB ones) from K5 store awhile back and every 4-6 months roughly either one side or the other start flickering!
I think this is like the 3rd or 4th warranty job on them. Yeah it gets replaced by K5 but send me $50 and we’ll ship right out and credit you back bs.
She doesn’t even use the the changing color option, just the white led, but were originally told they were the lastest technology.
I more pissed of the re-install on them which is difficult to get them lined up and have the tabs seat flush. Its like the material on the led is too thick.
So pissed ever got these!
Anyone else have or had these issues with led’s made for these cars, lol? If so, what’d you do.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,604 Posts
Sounds like the power controller goes bad after a period of time. I purchased the GlowTech Cree led bulbs and sent them back as I didn't like the "construction". They didn't fit tightly into the housing and the spades to be placed into the 11B harness was poor, at least in my opinion. Company was great, no hassle at all.
Good luck

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
562 Posts
Personally, I went with Hikari for all my LED headlamps. They've never given me any trouble, and their Eye of Megatron line are the brightest you can buy by a significant margin.
The durability is also top-notch, and the fact that you can detach the mounting collar, and mount it first, then install the emitter is a huge advantage.
The only issue I can report is that they don't like to be exposed to runoff when mounted in the fog lamp position, but that's to be expected. Even then and under those conditions, they fail on average about 18 months after installation, so they've more than paid for themselves. In headlamp positions, they'll outlast the car.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a question for you. 2018 EX factory projectors, how do you change the bulb when it goes out? My 06 Sonata 3 bolts removed the headlight and viola you were done.
Thanks in advance.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,737 Posts
We apologize for the issues you've had in terms of the (2) previous bulbs that have failed on you.

The manufacturer is constantly improving on the bulbs and drivers for the product.

In all fairness, the warranty for this product expired for you in October of 2019, but we want to work with you, which is why we sent out a replacement free of charge. (Without a deposit)

However, we hope you don't have any further issues moving forward!

·
Registered
2018 Optima EX, 2019 Stinger GT2 AWD
74 Posts
I have a question for you. 2018 EX factory projectors, how do you change the bulb when it goes out? My 06 Sonata 3 bolts removed the headlight and viola you were done.
Thanks in advance.
I have a 2018 EX, and all I had to do was unscrew (quarter turn) the cover from inside the engine compartment. Then you have access to the bulb element. I got the LASFIT 9005/HB3 for both the low and high beams, and they work great. This was back in Oct 2018 and they are still working fine.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a 2018 EX, and all I had to do was unscrew (quarter turn) the cover from inside the engine compartment. Then you have access to the bulb element. I got the LASFIT 9005/HB3 for both the low and high beams, and they work great. This was back in Oct 2018 and they are still working fine.
Thanks! I took a look in there after I brought the car home and it looked a little crowded. Good to know you can access both bulbs that way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts