Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I've been having issues with my led side marker lights. When I bought my 2013 SX 1.5 years ago, the side markers were out. Bought some t10 bulbs and replaced them and they worked great for about 7 months. They started flickering so I replaced them. Since then, every 2 weeks or so one would start heavily flickering. Ive replaced the bulbs with different brands, I've bought new bulb holder things. Sometimes it's just one that flickers, sometimes it both. If it was an occasional flicker, I wouldn't care as much but they're both flashingly constantly and it creates a distraction for oncoming drivers. Currently, they both have new bulbs (~1-3 weeks old) and new holder/housing units (~3 weeks old), yet they both are flickering. If I replaced the bulbs, they'd be fine for some time, anywhere from 1 week to a few months, although the bulbs haven't made it past a month in 6 months.

I have no idea what to do. Does anyone have any experience with this or any idea as to what could be causing the issue? Thanks!

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,681 Posts
This can sometimes be caused by other LED bulbs you have installed elsewhere on the vehicle.

They are all controlled by the vehicles LCM or (Lighting Control Module)

If the vehicle detects a fault in another one of the aftermarket LEDs, it can cut power or cause issues with these ones.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This can sometimes be caused by other LED bulbs you have installed elsewhere on the vehicle.

They are all controlled by the vehicles LCM or (Lighting Control Module)

If the vehicle detects a fault in another one of the aftermarket LEDs, it can cut power or cause issues with these ones.
I have LEDs throughout the vehicle. Back up lights, reverse lights, overhead lights. Essentially everything is converted over from basic to bright white LEDs.

Is there a way to test if one of the properly working bulbs is interfering with the side marker lights? Or a fix that would allow the side markers to run properly?

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,681 Posts
I have LEDs throughout the vehicle. Back up lights, reverse lights, overhead lights. Essentially everything is converted over from basic to bright white LEDs.

Is there a way to test if one of the properly working bulbs is interfering with the side marker lights? Or a fix that would allow the side markers to run properly?
Not that I know of. I would remove them all and put the stock bulbs back in and keep the ones that keep burning out installed.

Then do process of elimination in order to find the faulty component(s).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you have Load Resistors installed on any of your lighting circuits?
Unless it's stock, I do not. Everything worked fine for the first 6/7 months before the side markers starting flickering.

I've got some higher quality bulbs coming in, but they'll probably end up shorting as well. Going through and messing with all the other LEDs isn't an option (mainly because I dont have the original bulbs.)

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
557 Posts
Unless it's stock, I do not. Everything worked fine for the first 6/7 months before the side markers starting flickering.

I've got some higher quality bulbs coming in, but they'll probably end up shorting as well. Going through and messing with all the other LEDs isn't an option (mainly because I dont have the original bulbs.)
Put load resistors on the sidemarker wiring, and see if that fixes the issue.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
557 Posts
Load resistors are only needed for the turn signal bulbs...
This is true, most of the time. Still, the BCM on most cars still requires a base resistive load on certain lighting circuits, or it will send a voltage fluctuation/there will be current leakage, which will be enough to trigger the LEDs in a given circuit. I myself had flickering high beams after I switched to LEDs (My whole car is LED swapped), and a load resistor fixed the issue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts