Kia Optima Forums banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
ah, well it doesn't have to be a rocker switch... just some sort of switch to manually turn it on and off. I'd rather not have it turn on every time i open the hood lol Martini, please take a pictures =) and if ur using a switch like i'm planning, can u send me a link on where u got it? or give me the name of the switch?
I'll try to get some pictures up today. I actually used the same switch that Jasper recommended. I just asked for it at Autozone and they grabbed it in the back for me.

·
Being awesome every day!
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I'll try to get some pictures up today. I actually used the same switch that Jasper recommended. I just asked for it at Autozone and they grabbed it in the back for me.
Sweet. Yeah that switch is perfect for auto operation.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Being awesome every day!
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Nice work bud. For the record I did not use a nut at all. I put a backing washer on the switch and then screwed it down it like you'rs now is. Cheers though.
Glad you like it.

·
Being awesome every day!
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Hahahaha no problem man.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Where did you get your LED light strips? I did this mod to my trunk first because it was easier and this Texas heat made the sticky tape goey and fell Down after a day. Luckily I could add some zip ties for support On some and used my favorite glue on the others. Jasper stated his were still stuck in his engine bay with the original adhesive. I want to buy the same kind when I do my engine bay next. Opinions are requested. Thanks.

·
Being awesome every day!
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Where did you get your LED light strips? I did this mod to my trunk first because it was easier and this Texas heat made the sticky tape goey and fell Down after a day. Luckily I could add some zip ties for support On some and used my favorite glue on the others. Jasper stated his were still stuck in his engine bay with the original adhesive. I want to buy the same kind when I do my engine bay next. Opinions are requested. Thanks.
Hey bud. PM me your address. I have 2 strips left over (i used two) and i'll just give them to you as a gift :)

·
Being awesome every day!
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Wow! That's nice of ya Jasper =)
Hey yeah its honestly nothing lol. Not worth anything to me so why charge ya know? I'd sooner just give Walter them instead of finding an excuse to mount them here or there lol.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
This is very interesting and something I would like to do... Do you think it would void my factory warranty?

·
Being awesome every day!
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
This is very interesting and something I would like to do... Do you think it would void my factory warranty?
Never in a million years my man.

And besides: if you follow my diy, there is no modification to the OEM wiring. I designed it that way. The only OEM you mess with is tapping the fuse. thats it. No warranty issues at all.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I took Jasper's idea and made it my own. Thanks for the inspiration. Once the under hood lights were installed I basically added lights to the sides of the frame and under the entire upper lip at the end of the engine bay. It illuminates the entire engine bay and I absolutely love it. Thanks again Jasper for the original idea and package you mailed me ��

http://i846.photobucket.com/albums/ab24/Walter_lemaire/Kia optima/image_zps9efa4846.jpg
URL=http://s846.photobucket.com/user/Walter_lemaire/media/Kia%20optima/image_zps9efa4846.jpg.html]
[/URL]
URL=http://s846.photobucket.com/user/Walter_lemaire/media/Kia%20optima/image_zps9d768679.jpg.html]
[/URL]

URL=http://s846.photobucket.com/user/Walter_lemaire/media/Kia%20optima/image_zps08b666cd.jpg.html]
[/URL]

·
Premium Member
2012 Kia Optima
1,684 Posts
any of u guys know if there's a on/off switch that can fit there? I'd rather be able to turn it on and off with a switch than have it come on with the hood opening.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I'm sure you can wire an on off switch and mount it somewhere. You could probably do a small push bottom on the same hole we installed the door jamb switch as long as it never makes contact with the hood. If I was wanting to do that I would visit frys electronics and find something that would work. Good luck in your quest.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I plan on doing this with the 5050smd strips I ordered for the trunk which I wont need since I got the exLED kit installed which had a trunk led & lights the trunk up plenty...

I took Jasper's idea and made it my own. Thanks for the inspiration. Once the under hood lights were installed I basically added lights to the sides of the frame and under the entire upper lip at the end of the engine bay. It illuminates the entire engine bay and I absolutely love it. Thanks again Jasper for the original idea and package you mailed me
Holy crap, now that is a lit engine compartment, lol...

It would be cool to light it up that much with a changeable RGB LEDs and a controller, like a member did with their mood lighting, if you were into that kinda thing for car shows, etc...

·
Premium Member
2012 Kia Optima
1,684 Posts
I'm sure you can wire an on off switch and mount it somewhere. You could probably do a small push bottom on the same hole we installed the door jamb switch as long as it never makes contact with the hood. If I was wanting to do that I would visit frys electronics and find something that would work. Good luck in your quest.

Yeah i've looked into drilling a hole into some kind of plastic piece around it, but couldn't find a suitable one. I've also thought about just placing a different switch in it, but i don't know the dimension of the hole where you guys installed the switch..

·
Registered
314 Posts
Can you do one of those magnetic switches? Ones that if the magnet is close to its better half, it turns off. So that way when your hood/trunk closed, it's off, but when the hood/trunk open, it automatically turns on.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts