Kia Optima Forums banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Being awesome every day!
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I had an extra LED 5050 strip from vleds and installed this yesterday. GREAT Mod! Thank you Jasper for the DIY.

The brightness is perfect! It's better than a dinky light bulb :)
Haha no problem. Remember: two fuses ;)

·
Being awesome every day!
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Hahaha good luck. I have the trunk bulb replaced with an LED one, so i don't
Have to wire any strips in lol.
Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
285 Posts
It is an easy wiring job. I don't mind soldering a couple of piggy back wires. This weekend I just added the LED bumper lights and backup sensors since I had the rear bumper off. I have a camera but really missed the beeping sound when I am about to back into something. It helps me pay closer attention when backing up and keeps me from getting distracted by rude drivers that drive right in front of me while I am backing up �� It seems they don't teach driving etiquette in drivers Ed any more. ��

·
Premium Member
2012 Kia Optima
1,684 Posts
hey just a quick question, but did u try placing the light on the end that's closer to the windshield? I'm thinking that'd be able to provide a bright and more focused light, but i can't be sure if it'd be able to light all the way to the front of the car

·
Being awesome every day!
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
hey just a quick question, but did u try placing the light on the end that's closer to the windshield? I'm thinking that'd be able to provide a bright and more focused light, but i can't be sure if it'd be able to light all the way to the front of the car
Hey bud.
If you move the strips to the back the light wont reach the front of the engine bay as well. The location of mine are right above the middle of the engine basically, and they point straight down. Mine are doing good. No problems. Can't wait for my next wiring mod soon :)

·
Premium Member
2012 Kia Optima
1,684 Posts
ah ok. i actually didn't realize that your's is pointing backwards into the engine bay. i guess that's the better choice =P thanks!!

·
Being awesome every day!
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Just went out and opened my hood. nice and bright :D whole engine is lit up lol

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
Dammmmit Jasper, I'm running out of places for add-a-fuses, and now I want to do this too.
I seem to get the mod bug at midnight, this would come in really handy for those late night tinkers.

Thanks for the thread!

·
Premium Member
2012 Kia Optima
1,684 Posts
hmm maybe i'll go that route too? I can try and relay the wire into the car and tap into either a constant power or one of those sources that come on and off with the headlight and relay that to a switch so i can turn it on and off... I shall think this further lol

·
Registered
285 Posts
I've read that the hood switch deactivates the alarm horn from powering when the hood is open. If this is true can you not use it to switch on the lights when the hood is open? This thought has me thinking how to do it. My thought is if the power goes to the horn when the hood is down and then to the lights when the hood is open. Any ideas from electrical savvy people out there?

·
Being awesome every day!
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Yes you can probably route your lights through the switch, however I did not for the simple reason that I wanted to leave the oem wiring alone. The whole light setup can be removed in a matter of minutes.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I got my lights and quick connectors for the led strip this week. As soon as I get some weekend time to get them installed. So excited. Now I just have to learn how to post pics and a DIY for mt backup sensor install that I did. And my fog light hid install. I got the pics taken.

·
Premium Member
2012 Kia Optima
1,684 Posts
Anybody know where i can mount a rocker switch in the engine bay without drilling into something? I'm hoping to do this mod with a rocker switch so i can turn it on and off manually

·
Being awesome every day!
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I don't think you can mount that anywhere without drilling. That type is switch is made to fit in a socket cut to it's size.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Anybody know where i can mount a rocker switch in the engine bay without drilling into something? I'm hoping to do this mod with a rocker switch so i can turn it on and off manually
I'll try to get a video/picture of my setup. I didn't drill anything to mount my switch. I screwed it into this plastic hole and it works fine exactly where Jasper said to put it. Great DIY mod

·
Being awesome every day!
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I'll try to get a video/picture of my setup. I didn't drill anything to mount my switch. I screwed it into this plastic hole and it works fine exactly where Jasper said to put it. Great DIY mod
Thanks and yeah I didn't drill it either. The switch I got fit perfectly in the pre drilled metal bar. The rocker switch though will never fit in that place.

·
Premium Member
2012 Kia Optima
1,684 Posts
ah, well it doesn't have to be a rocker switch... just some sort of switch to manually turn it on and off. I'd rather not have it turn on every time i open the hood lol Martini, please take a pictures =) and if ur using a switch like i'm planning, can u send me a link on where u got it? or give me the name of the switch?

·
Being awesome every day!
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
ah, well it doesn't have to be a rocker switch... just some sort of switch to manually turn it on and off. I'd rather not have it turn on every time i open the hood lol Martini, please take a pictures =) and if ur using a switch like i'm planning, can u send me a link on where u got it? or give me the name of the switch?
Haha gotcha. Yeah i designed to be automatic. Dont wanna have the hassle of having to flip a switch ya know?

21 - 40 of 69 Posts