Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Being awesome every day!
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all. Just got done installing some LED lights that come on automatically when you open the hood regardless of key position or power settings.
What I used:
2 LED strips
Crimp connectors.
Red and Black wire (recommend speaker wire)
Duralast SW90 Door Jamb switch (Autozone)
Add A line fuse tap
2 10A fuses (not low profile like stock)
Battery removal is recommended but not required.
With the battery removed it's much easier to work on the back side of the switch to hook your connectors up.

First thing was to install the switch which I used as a ground. There are two holes (one on each side of the car) right on the black frame rail that your headlights mount to that are the perfect size. Also the switch with one medium to thick washer gives the perfect fit for the hood to close. With that setup, if you pop the hood but don't open it, the lights will come on. Hood has to be closed and latched for the lights to be off. With this setup the switch is on the ground side of the circuit.

Next is to tap the fuse. The constant power fuse I taped was the Brake Switch fuse. I plugged the add a line in and checked to see I was getting power..... I was.

I used 2 power wires, and two ground wires in total to give each their own circuit. Probably overkill but it's the way I did it. I ran all 4 wires back to the hood hinge, and then ran them up and tucked them underneath the insulation on the hood.

Lights working:

Fairly Easy mod. Skill level 2 of 5 I'd say. Took about two hours.

Enjoy.

-Jasper

·
Being awesome every day!
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's pretty cool! I was going to do this too but instead just tap into the hood open indicator and just run a relay. Just too lazy lol

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
I didn't want to mess with stock wiring.

Not sure how bright these will be, but now that the wiring is in place I could always upgrade.

·
Being awesome every day!
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dang lisnup you did a lot of work. BTW wires are free and clear of any pinch points.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Looks good Jasper, nice write up.

·
Being awesome every day!
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks dudes. BTW the light is pure white, but it looks blueish in the pictures. Strange........ But I love it.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I'm thinking of doing this on the hood and around the frame surrounding the engine bay to throw some light down there for when I'm tinkering. Thanks for the detailed write up. Looks nice.

·
Being awesome every day!
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Very cool. Never thought of this but I bet it would come in handy at night.
Yeah it would come in handy. Lets hope i never have to use it lol.
I'm thinking of doing this on the hood and around the frame surrounding the engine bay to throw some light down there for when I'm tinkering. Thanks for the detailed write up. Looks nice.
Whats up Walter!! It does a good job lighting everything up including in front of the car, and if you ever needed concentrated light in one spot then a flashlight would do it. it's def enough light to work in a pinch thats for sure.

·
Being awesome every day!
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks dude. btw the lights are still holding up great. no problems. the glue hasn't failed yet due to the extreme heat in the engine bay, so :thumbsup:

·
Registered
285 Posts
Whats up Walter!! It does a good job lighting everything up including in front of the car, and if you ever needed concentrated light in one spot then a flashlight would do it. it's def enough light to work in a pinch thats for sure.
i don't like having to hold flash lights and I do most of my tinkering at night. I installed 10 double 48" fluorescent light fixtures in my garage for that same reason. Call it overkill, but I like to see what I'm doing. No offense to the OP it is an awesome idea.

·
Being awesome every day!
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i don't like having to hold flash lights and I do most of my tinkering at night. I installed 10 double 48" fluorescent light fixtures in my garage for that same reason. Call it overkill, but I like to see what I'm doing. No offense to the OP it is an awesome idea.
Haha thanks Walter. Since I'm the OP with these lights no offense taken.

·
Premium Member
2012 Kia Optima
1,684 Posts
i might do this.... but how bright is this? is it bright enough to be able to do some light work under the hood at night?

·
Being awesome every day!
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i might do this.... but how bright is this? is it bright enough to be able to do some light work under the hood at night?
Yeah for sure. Look at the last two pictures. even lights the area in front of the car.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts