Kia Optima Forums banner

141 - 160 of 200 Posts

·
02/2014 ROTM
2013 Optima SX
1,260 Posts
This mod is the first one to ever defeat me. I even dropped the fuse box. Still couldn't quite pull the door connector to inside the cabin so I could get to it. Put it all back together (man, taking a car door off is a LOT easier than putting it on), and was surprised that everything still worked. =)

I'll give this one another try... later... much... later...

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
This mod is the first one to ever defeat me. I even dropped the fuse box. Still couldn't quite pull the door connector to inside the cabin so I could get to it. Put it all back together (man, taking a car door off is a LOT easier than putting it on), and was surprised that everything still worked. =)

I got frustrated too... So I needed up running the wires through the rubber cover under the connector.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2014 Hyundai Sonata
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #143

use a coat hanger to push the wire through. Pop off the connector and use coat hanger, simple as that

·
02/2014 ROTM
2013 Optima SX
1,260 Posts
Great pics, junkfoodz. Here's where it all went wrong for me:

It appears you've pulled the door connector through the frame of the car, past the fuse box, and out to where you can actually manipulate it. I actually dropped the fuse box, and STILL couldn't pull that connector out from behind the frame, where it passes through to connect to the door. If I could have done that, I would have been good to go.

If you have any tips about how to do that more easily, please let me know, and I'll give it another shot in a few weeks after I've addressed some other upgrades.

Thanks!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Not to bring back a (kinda) old thread.

I am picking up a hybrid tomorrow and I have already ordered the LEDS and the holders. I was looking at the install and I am very confused about where you connected the power at the map lights. In the picture, it looks like you just put it somewhere. If you could clarify how you did it, that would be great!

·
Premium Member
2014 Hyundai Sonata
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #147

I am picking up a hybrid tomorrow and I have already ordered the LEDS and the holders. I was looking at the install and I am very confused about where you connected the power at the map lights. In the picture, it looks like you just put it somewhere. If you could clarify how you did it, that would be great!
in my first pot i show you the 2 connection points, best to solder them, but tape will work too

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
351 Posts

in my first pot i show you the 2 connection points, best to solder them, but tape will work too
DSC02295.jpg This is how it looks soldered.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Ok, so I have my parts but haven't begun to do anything yet as I want to do a couple other mods at the same time. One question I have (that I don't see anyone referencing this in the other posts) is for the rear doors, once you feed the wire through the connector, what have you guys been removing to channel the wire from the connector through the frame and over to the front of the front door? Does the B-pillar trim come off easily? I've never taken B-pillar trim off before I don't think.
Also, has anyone used snap-on wire connectors rather than soldering? I've installed a few auto-dimming mirrors in the past, and they all came with simple wire connectors that just allowed you to tap into existing wiring by snapping the connector over the existing wire. I would think those woulr work super simple in this case.

·
02/2014 ROTM
2013 Optima SX
1,260 Posts
You can't use the snap splicers because there's no wire to snap onto. I tried to get the signal from the plug that goes to the map light unit, but there's evidently a relay or microprocessor built into the unit to get it to behave as it does.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hey there everyone. Kudos to those people who have pioneered and figured out this mod without any How to's like us normal Joes. Anyway I'm about to order LEDs and other stuff to do this mod and I had a few questions. I read through this whole thread and my head is spinning, but I think I got most of it down. Alot of it was kind of confusing without seeing it in person so I'm hoping it will all make sense to me once I start taking things apart haha.

First off I was wondering if those LED's that are listed in the beginning are super bright? I was looking at some LED's on Amazon that were about 25,000mcd's but the viewing angle was only like 15degrees. Should I stick with the wide angle LEDs that are listed or go with the superbright ones on Amazon, which would give me a better lighting effect?

Secondly I was thinking of putting two LEDs in each handle to make it brighter. Has anyone done that? I was also toying with the idea of using a colored LED for the handles...Green is my favorite color so maybe that or blue or red.

Lastly and most important I think, I thought I heard somewhere else in the forum that someone had figured out how to tap this "dome light" auto lighting effect somewhere under the dash, maybe by the fuse box? Is that true or did I just make that up in my mind?

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2017 Tesla Model X
28,212 Posts
Such a long thread with so many helpful posts and so many members putting so much work into this DIY!

I almost feel bad saying this now. However there is a plug and play LED door handle that just plugs in without any modifications at all.

No wiring or routing wires or drilling holes. I cannot post anymore info at this time until I have the handles in my store ready to sell.

However they should be here by the 2nd or 3rd week in January! So if your planning on doing this DIY you may want to hold off.

They will be available in 3 different factory painted colors..

EDIT** I was wrong about this... :( sorry....

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
Such a long thread with so many helpful posts and so many members putting so much work into this DIY!

I almost feel bad saying this now. However there is a plug and play LED door handle that just plugs in without any modifications at all.

No wiring or routing wires or drilling holes. I cannot post anymore info at this time until I have the handles in my store ready to sell.

However they should be here by the 2nd or 3rd week in January! So if your planning on doing this DIY you may want to hold off.

Hmm, the long awaited mod that I wouldn't even dare to attempt and now I might be able to if I still have the car by that time lol. Guess being patience does pay off, but you know that members will be asking what are the 3 colors as an option and Im one of them :D

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2017 Tesla Model X
28,212 Posts
Hmm, the long awaited mod that I wouldn't even dare to attempt and now I might be able to if I still have the car by that time lol. Guess being patience does pay off :D

I'm just surprised no one else ever knew about it... That's tons of work to do for something that is a plug and play mod. :(

Still have your car in a month from now?? :icon_scratch:

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
I'm just surprised no one else ever knew about it... That's tons of work to do for something that is a plug and play mod. :(

Still have your car in a month from now?? :icon_scratch:
Yeah, my issue with the limp mode that happened 5 times already and just my luck when I brought it to dealer it went away and hasn't come back since. The dealer can't seem to find anything wrong with it and that pisses me off. So I said to myself if it keeps happening and they dont seem to find the problem then I have no choice but to get rid of it, Sigh I dont want to because I put so much work into this car but we'll see.

·
Premium Member
2011 Kia K5
4,166 Posts

Are you sure these will work on US models?

141 - 160 of 200 Posts