Kia Optima Forums banner

181 - 200 of 200 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,431 Posts
Well for starter have a **** load of patience Jason and don't be like me ripping out wires because I was impatience lol, what do you mean by pre-wire door handles? Do you have something you can share with us so we have an idea of what you're doing? I gave up halfway so that's why I asked lol.
This mod takes a long time and requires a lot of patience Dino. I completed one door this weekend, and its working fine. I started with these from ebay. Fit Kia Optima 2011 2014 Door Handle Assy with Lamp for Smart Key 2P 1set | eBay

As for power, you can grab any 12v source on the door and for ground, you have to run the wire through the door jam and tag a wire in the harness above the gas pedal. You don't have to go all the way to the dome lights. Good luck. I have lots of pictures if you need.

---------- Post added at 05:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:31 PM ----------

This was the only mod that defeated me. I found the right connections in the map light unit, I even drilled a hole in my door wire connector thingy, but I *could* *not* route the wires. I had the entire fuse box dropped out, and still couldn't get my fingers to fit in there.

So, I did the Infiniti Q50 mod instead. ;)
How's the Infinity working out for you buddy? Before I got my current rims, I was looking hard at some Infinity factory rims for my Optima! haha

·
02/2014 ROTM
1,260 Posts
This mod takes a long time and requires a lot of patience Dino. I completed one door this weekend, and its working fine. I started with these from ebay. Fit Kia Optima 2011 2014 Door Handle Assy with Lamp for Smart Key 2P 1set | eBay

As for power, you can grab any 12v source on the door and for ground, you have to run the wire through the door jam and tag a wire in the harness above the gas pedal. You don't have to go all the way to the dome lights. Good luck. I have lots of pictures if you need.

How's the Infinity working out for you buddy? Before I got my current rims, I was looking hard at some Infinity factory rims for my Optima! haha
You don't *have* to get power from the dome lights, but the fade in/fade out feature is REALLY cool. Plus, that part's pretty easy. :)

I love the Q50 more than I knew I could love a car. Don't think I'll ever be able to go back now! However, I still drive my son's Optima (my old one) from time to time, and I'll tell you, for the money, it simply cannot be beat.

·
Premium Member
4,410 Posts

^^^Jason, that was the same door handles that I looked at before but I did not think it was compatible with our smart key Optima. Did you get to work with the smart key as well? You gotta show us how you did that lol, I did manage to finished off my led door handles and I'll see if I can post up a quick vid in a few min.

https://youtu.be/4XruyTf66nc

·
Super Moderator
3,431 Posts

^^^Jason, that was the same door handles that I looked at before but I did not think it was compatible with our smart key Optima. Did you get to work with the smart key as well? You gotta show us how you did that lol, I did manage to finished off my led door handles and I'll see if I can post up a quick vid in a few min.

https://youtu.be/4XruyTf66nc
Looks like you got it working just fine Joe! I love what you did there and the puddle lights. Mine was just the two front doors. And yes you can use the Korean ones and while they plug into the door harness, the U.S. version is missing the two middle wires (12Vpower and fade) so you just run your own. Works just fine. I think I'll create another DIY for the LED door handles since the original thread is so lengthy and there is a bunch of updated info.

·
Premium Member
4,410 Posts
Looks like you got it working just fine Joe! I love what you did there and the puddle lights. Mine was just the two front doors. And yes you can use the Korean ones and while they plug into the door harness, the U.S. version is missing the two middle wires (12Vpower and fade) so you just run your own. Works just fine. I think I'll create another DIY for the LED door handles since the original thread is so lengthy and there is a bunch of updated info.
Thanks Jason and glad you made door handles to work and it will look great. Are you planning to do the rears as well or just leave it like that??

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
3,431 Posts
Thanks Jason and glad you made door handles to work and it will look great. Are you planning to do the rears as well or just leave it like that??
I may just leave the front two doors and call it a day. I hear these are easier than doing the rears, and it took me quite a while to do the fronts! So a little afraid to even think of the rears! haha

·
Registered
217 Posts
We just bought the lights and retainers. Plan to attempt this mod for front and back handles when everything arrives.
Thanks for the info.

·
Super Moderator
3,431 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Thanks Jason. I have checked out your thread also. Between your thread and the first 2 posts in this thread showing detailed info, hopefully we will be able to make it work with the inside dome light!

·
Premium Member
4,410 Posts
Hi guys, I just found this thread and I'm interested in doing this mod but I have a question since the links in the first post are no longer available and was wondering if these are the correct leds and retainers.
10 Pcs LED 5mm Pre Wired 12 Volt Wide View Angle White LEDs 12V Prewired | eBay
10 LED Holder Retainers Panel Mounting 5mm Locks USA | eBay

Thanks.
JR, looks like you got the right link and can't wait to see you pull the trigger on doing this mod, one of the best mod period. A little advice once you do the install, I would put clear silicone prior installing the led to the retainer and it will help to prevent any water coming in and trust me on this one lol. I also dremel down and follow by a light polishing on the front surfaces of the led once installed that way it sits completely flush rather than sticking up just a tad and you can't even tell that it's there.

·
Registered
233 Posts
JR, looks like you got the right link and can't wait to see you pull the trigger on doing this mod, one of the best mod period. A little advice once you do the install, I would put clear silicone prior installing the led to the retainer and it will help to prevent any water coming in and trust me on this one lol. I also dremel down and follow by a light polishing on the front surfaces of the led once installed that way it sits completely flush rather than sticking up just a tad and you can't even tell that it's there.

Thanks man, I'll be placing the order today and will follow your advice of using silicone.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hi guys, I just did the whole led thing but wasn't able to connect the wires to the overhead console as it looks like mine is different than the one in the first post. I have a 2015 sxl so I assume that most the reason. Anyone have any idea where to wire it?

Im attaching a piture for reference. 20160904_211032.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,410 Posts
Hi guys, I just did the whole led thing but wasn't able to connect the wires to the overhead console as it looks like mine is different than the one in the first post. I have a 2015 sxl so I assume that most the reason. Anyone have any idea where to wire it?

Im attaching a piture for reference. View attachment 210073
Hopefully you get it straighten out JR and I'm sure looking at Miglo DIY will help you out with your fading which will works just as good. GL and let us know how it turns out once you figure out the ECM yellow wire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
101 Posts
Nothing like reviving a super old thread. Had my car off the road for like the past 3+ years and finally got it going again and got round to finally doing this mod with the wire connection straight from the BCM dark yellow switched ground that allows for the on off approach and fade out. Was working great then all of a sudden today it looked as though there was a slight short on the ground circuit cause it stayed on but super dim even with the car off. I ended up scrapping the ez tap to the dark yellow wire and doing my best to solder the connection directly and then it still didn’t work so I was really bumming thinking about having to tear everything apart to find where there was one of my ground wires grounding out directly instead of to the switch bcm ground. Well in my frustration I knocked on the dome light console and to my surprise it fixed whatever the problem was. Should I be concerned with this? Should I pull down the overhead and see if there is an issue with the ground wiring up there? Or just count my blessing that I don’t have to rip my car apart lol

Anyway love the mod. Props to the guy who found the yellow switched ground instead of having to wire to dome.
My setup doesn’t shine as bright as the op’s prob half from it being black and other half from being kinda scratched and scuffed, so I ended up wiring two leds in each handle and it’s almost equivalent now.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Deleted last question about LEDs not shutting off completely when hooked into the BCM yellow wire switched ground. Someone in the other thread (easier method) finally told me that since the LEDs draw such little current they are not shut off completely. Recommends solving it with resistors and will be doing that this weekend when they come.

181 - 200 of 200 Posts