Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 20 of 200 Posts

·
Premium Member
2014 Hyundai Sonata
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First off just wanted to say that this MOD was originally done by BERTO1230781 I’m just making this DIY for easier for others to be able to do this mod as well

Parts:
Need to buy 12v LED lights that I found off ebay here
10 PCS LED - 5mm PRE WIRED 12 VOLT ~ WIDE VIEW ANGLE WHITE ~ LEDS 12V PREWIRED | eBay
NOTE: BUY THE RETAINERS TOO, TRUST ME YOU WILL THANK ME LATER
Led Retainers
10 LED HOLDER / RETAINERS - PANEL MOUNTING 5mm LOCKS USA | eBay
You can use any wire you want, I just used speaker wire I had laying around

DIY:
DISCONNECT YOUR POSITIVE POWER FROM YOUR BATT OR YOU WILL BLOW A FUSE LIKE I DID
First thing first is we need to tap into the power to give the LED power to turn on and off when the Dome lights do
Remove the 2 screws as shown in the picture

DSC00478.jpg

Now just pull towards you and down to take the dome off. CAUTION: don’t pull the dome too far we have connectors still attached
There are 2 spots you need to tap into Left side is POS and right side is NEG of the picture shown below. I don’t have a soldering iron yet, and recommend you going that course for best results but can you electrical tap like I did

DSC00479.jpg

Now that you have your power tapped start running your power lines. You only need to tap the power one time, just tap into that wire for the left side giving both sides of your car power. For the back door tap into the power line you ran for your front doors.
I ran my line right between the roof and liner all the way down to the door
You have 2 options for running the power to the door
1 option is faster but ugly

DSC00477.jpg

2 option will take longer but a cleaner install

door handle 10.jpg door handle 11.jpg door handles 013.jpg

Now that we have our lines ran the door lets get our door handles off..OH YA!! :rockon::rockon:
There is a bolt that has to be loosen NOTE: bolt will not come all the way out
Remove the plastic cover to gain access to the bolt

DSC00481.jpg DSC00483.jpg
Front Door Back Door

This is the bolt

DSC00482.jpg DSC00484.jpg
Front Door Back Door

Now that the bolt is loose gently pretend to open the door and remove the small end of the door handle
Now that the small piece is off you can now slide the actual handle off but can totally remove yet cause its still plugged in.

Remove the 2 screws located where open door latch and close handle and remove the door cover. One good pull and it will come off. Now simply get a long flathead screwdriver and pop the plug off inside the door, ( Only needed to be done for the front door handles ONLY) and now you can finally get the door handle off.
YaY :rockon::rockon:

ONE IMPORTANT NOTE, MAKE SURE TO ADD ENOUGH WIRE IN THE DOOR FOR THE WINDOW TO COME DOWN. DO A FEW DRY RUNS TO ENSURE YOU HAVE ENOUGH WIRE IN THE DOOR.

·
Premium Member
2014 Hyundai Sonata
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Remove the 2 screws shown below

door handle 3.jpg door handle 4.jpg

Now that we have the screws off you need to pry apart the 2 plastic pieces shown below. DON’T WORRY ABOUT BREAKING IT, just been working it apart. I just used a think knife to create a wedge to help me get them apart

door handle 5.jpg

Now time to make our hole. Get a 1\4” drill bit to make your hole ( make sure you drill the correct side LEFT, so you don't feel it when you open the door )

door handle 6.jpg

Wrap your wire shown below

door handle 7.jpg

Now be a goodtime to test out your LED to make sure it works before putting it all back together

door handle 8.jpg

Now put everything back together and do the same for the 3 door handles and enjoy your new light show

Here's my video of the mod in action

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2017 Tesla Model X
28,215 Posts
Awesome! I think it would be kind of neat to have DRL'S come on when you approach the car as the dome lights come on! But that would also mean anytime your dome lights turn on as in opening a door the DRL'S would come on too!

·
Registered
2012 Optima SX-T
711 Posts
Awesome! I think it would be kind of neat to have DRL'S come on when you approach the car as the dome lights come on! But that would also mean anytime your dome lights turn on as in opening a door the DRL'S would come on too!
nothing wrong with that. I had me angel eyes wired that way in the BMW and it was awesome! It was a custom version of pathway lighting.

·
Premium Member
2014 Hyundai Sonata
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Few hours cause of all the wires you have to run and taking door handle off. Works not hard, just tedious

·
Former Administrator
2011 K5 Turbo
6,926 Posts
Nice write-up! Definitely going to sticky this too.

Now you just need to replace those yellow dome lights with some LEDs to match your door handles, and you're set! :lol:

·
Premium Member
2014 Hyundai Sonata
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I did replace all my lights with LEDs might have to look into making sure I got the right color, they look like a match

·
Premium Member
2014 Hyundai Sonata
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
To the person who asked if you can turn off the dome and still have the handles light up the answer is yes you can.

1 - 20 of 200 Posts