Kia Optima Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
I wonder if there is a seller that offers these in the corsa blue....

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
28,178 Posts
Also for those that wanted a complete set to change the color of the door handles like me instead of just the front handles, here's the link for it and he's a great kid to deal with. If you wanted a certain color then just message him and he will get you the color that you wanted to match your car.

Smart Key Black Chrome Door Handle 8ea 1set for Kia Optima 2011 2016 | eBay
Any forum members interested in this kit, especially those not wanting to deal with eBay, we can offer this exact kit for 10% off the eBay price including free shipping as well.

I wonder if there is a seller that offers these in the corsa blue....
Thanks for reaching out to us to confirm availability of this color by email. We have confirmed that these are available to order in the HO Corsa Blue color and are in stock at this time. ;)
I went ahead and just replied back to you by email as well.

·
Super Moderator
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Good to know David! This is a cool mod. People see it and are like "whoa, cool!" Did you get yours Eclipsed123?

·
Super Moderator
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Have you checked with David or the eBay link for SWP availability? And as for swapping the led, it's pretty bright already but of wish to disassemble the handle components, you can do that.

·
Super Moderator
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Have you checked with David or the eBay link for SWP availability? And as for swapping the led, it's pretty bright already but of wish to disassemble the handle components, you can do that.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Any forum members interested in this kit, especially those not wanting to deal with eBay, we can offer this exact kit for 10% off the eBay price including free shipping as well.

Thanks for reaching out to us to confirm availability of this color by email. We have confirmed that these are available to order in the HO Corsa Blue color and are in stock at this time. ;)
I went ahead and just replied back to you by email as well.
Do u have them in black and in stock?

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
28,178 Posts
Couple questions - can I get this is SWP? Can I change the light to a brighter white via a different LED bulb?
Not sure how I missed this, but yes you can get them in SWP and we can order them for you that way. ;)

Do u have them in black and in stock?
Not physically in stock in our store in this color, but we can simply order them for you that way from our partner. Shoot us over an email if interested.

[email protected]

·
Registered
122 Posts
Old post, but I having an lx with out the smart key access, can I still use the ones listed from the ebay seller? Unless k5 has these for a mod? Thanks to those who end up responding. I dont need proximity fade for obvious reason. Lol hope everyone has a good christmas/holiday.

·
Premium Member
4,414 Posts
Old post, but I having an lx with out the smart key access, can I still use the ones listed from the ebay seller? Unless k5 has these for a mod? Thanks to those who end up responding. I dont need proximity fade for obvious reason. Lol hope everyone has a good christmas/holiday.
Without the smart key your LX won’t light up the interior when you approach the car therefore the led door handle won’t light up. The only way these door handle led will work is to be connected to the dome light and it will only comes on with the dome light or whenever you lock or unlock the car. So yes it will work without the proximity and to be honest it will be cheaper for you because you don’t need to buy any new door handles, all you need is to buy the led and I would buy it in a bulk of 10. You just need to know how to separate the door handles and install the led, then connected to the dome light and that should do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
122 Posts
Without the smart key your LX won’t light up the interior when you approach the car therefore the led door handle won’t light up. The only way these door handle led will work is to be connected to the dome light and it will only comes on with the dome light or whenever you lock or unlock the car. So yes it will work without the proximity and to be honest it will be cheaper for you because you don’t need to buy any new door handles, all you need is to buy the led and I would buy it in a bulk of 10. You just need to know how to separate the door handles and install the led, then connected to the dome light and that should do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you, I did find a video on it back in january where someone bought the leds and retainer clips to hold the led in, drilled the hole in the stock handle and ran the wire. So ill see if I can find a bright white led and go from there. Thanks for the response!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Figured I’d post my question/problem here as well. I followed this method of tapping into the ground fade switch from the yellow BCM wire but all my led lights seem to stay on constantly very dimly...besides that they work as intended though. Is this supposed to happen or did I do something wrong, or possibly an issue somewhere in the factory side of the wiring from this yellow wire? I don’t think it’s caused any issues so far since the current draw seems to be super minuscule (as long as I don’t leave my car sit for a long time) but it really bugs me though even though you can barely tell. It’s the principal of the matter lol

·
Registered
101 Posts
Guess this forums and posts aren’t frequented as much since many prob have diff cars now.

If anyone has any insight into why these handle LEDs would always have a slight current going to it to force it to always be faintly shining let me know. Otherwise it looks like I have a date with a multimeter and my wiring this weekend lol. I ended up tapping the fat pink wire for positive but that shouldn’t matter since the circuit is ground switched from the darker yellowBCM wire. Might pull down the dome to see what insight I could get up there

·
Registered
122 Posts
From my understanding when i had my optima, its because similar to that of the interior led install on a stock lx, the leds dont pull enough volts for the system to shut completely off, so the leds stay dimly lit. I have put a better quality led in the dome lights or mixed certain leds to get the lights to shut off completely. The check back system needs a certain amount of voltage to shut off completely, its kinda hard to explain and little stupid, but I know that if you look around for those that did an led interior swap. There is one or two forums that explain this. Use either better quality leds, or put in a resistor.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Excellent. Thank you so much for the info, you are my hero right now lol.

Edited out my previous questions because I did a bit more research...but I have some more questions now.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Did some research and believe I got the basics now. Looks like I’d need 1/2 watt resistors or maybe 1watt since I read having more max will not hurt and since I’m up in the air I’m definitely going to get 1/2 watt or maybe even 1 watt...

I and sort of confused as to what is the best wiring option...whether I should be putting one on each led negative lead before the parallel wire in the circuit so before the in-handle solder connection I did or switch up the wiring and put the leds in series but that seems like I’d have to add more wiring and stuff. Is there a better/best option? One per LED negative or can I get away with not even opening the handle and putting a lower(higher?) ohm resistor after/before the negative wire coming from the door handle, ie having each handle with the two LEDs in parallel wiring and then the resistor before it’s hooked to the BCM switched ground lead? Or do I have to really revamp the wiring and put all 8 LEDs wires in series with each other and then putting just 1 resistor right before the BCM? The more I read into, the more confused I seem to get. I have the utmost respect for electrical engineers right now lol.

I believe these are the leds I bought way back when if that makes a difference. I think they are 3.3v/20ma
https://m.ebay.com/itm/10-PCS-LED-5mm-PRE-WIRED-12-VOLT-WIDE-VIEW-ANGLE-WHITE-LEDS-12V-PREWIRED-/320850194498?ul_ref=http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=3&campid=&toolid=10001&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2F10-PCS-LED-5mm-PRE-WIRED-12-VOLT-WIDE-VIEW-ANGLE-WHITE-LEDS-12V-PREWIRED-%2F320850194498%3Fpt%3DLH_DefaultDomain_0%26hash%3Ditem4ab4297042%23ht_784wt_1163&srcrot=711-53200-19255-0&rvr_id=2011263841415&rvr_ts=66f82dad16b0a9ccc374fc32ffea12e7&_mwBanner=1&_rdt=1&ul_noapp=true#vi__app-cvip-panel

·
Registered
101 Posts
Editing this post since I finally got it all figured out. Glad I ordered a resistor multi pack since I ended up using a completely different size. I was completely over complicating things. Also the LEDs I got already came wired with a 470 ohm 1/4 watt resistor on the positive lead, just didn’t realize it because it was heat wrapped. Anyway the way to fix it is super easy. If you have all LEDs wired in parallel to a constant + and the BCM switched ground (dark yellow wire) all I needed to do was wire a 1k ohm 1/2watt resistor (I think 1/4 watt will work too if not mistaken) from the constant 12v+ source and link it to where you have you LED wires converge at the yellow BCM wire. It finally clicked when I figured it all out. What this does is take the residual current from the wires and suck it up so it doesn’t go to the leds and cause them to stay dimly light but when the ground actually switches on there’s more than enough power for the resistor and all your happy little LEDs. Going to finish buttoning up the wiring and will post a pic of it all done.

Left the original post below for context if anyone is interested. Many thanks to the guy above who lead me in the right direction because it Probably would’ve taken much longer to find out how to fix it. Hoping my post helps someone also.

I think I got the info I need now. Looks like I either have to wire a 1/2 watt 470 ohm resistor to each led negative lead before they are wired to the parallel circuit or put each handles set in series and wire at least a 1/4 watt 270ohm resistor but was probably going to do 1/2 watt since I can get a kit that includes both for like 10 bucks on amazon. Haven’t decided which is better setup yet and I don’t really think there is technically a better option from my understanding, they both should be equal and get the job done that I’m looking for. And this should help with the varying brightness I think I’m seeing from certain leds and hopefully take of the dim lighting after they should be switched off completely.

Just wanted to thank you again for pointing this out. I never would have figured it out and probably would’ve ended up tearing apart my wiring just to find that there’s no issue with my wires

21 - 40 of 40 Posts