·
Former Administrator
2011 K5 Turbo
6,926 Posts

·
Registered
2014 SX Turbo
162 Posts
So just to confirm... these come with 3 wires, so one is a ground and one is the running lights obviously. So, you have to choose between them being brake lights or turning lights, correct?

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #184
Islander. That is correct. Or, you could hook up the dim wire as brake lights and the bright wire as the signal. That is if you wanted to do that. I'm not sure how it would interact with your signal module but it might even work hooked up as normal so that it functions as both brake and signal if your module takes care of the switching.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Anyone know off hand what the gauge size is for the wires that are being tapped into? Need to order some posi taps and don't want to order the wrong size. Thanks.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Sweet, thanks. Guess I'll order the red ones, same size as the ones I used for the switch back led positive wires.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Got this done the other day. Pulling off the bumper cover without the metal bumper was way easy. Found the two top clips in the bumper holes under the tail lights, reached in up to my elbows and pried them off. Got the two clips off under the bumper and it pretty much fell off. Gotta say I'm disappointed I waited a couple of years before attempting this. That Diode Dynamics video really supplemented this DIY write up. Thanks Crystalworks for laying it out for everyone.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #190
No problem Xterra. Must have saved some time getting the plastic bumper off without removing the metal reinforcement. I tried that and it was a no go.

Does someone want to preserve these DIY images somewhere? I don't have any immediate plans to, but I could see running out of space on photobucket and deleting all of them at some point. That would break all the links... though the 11-13 is getting long in the tooth now so maybe these DIY's aren't as helpful as they once were. :unsure:

·
Registered
2013 Optima Optima SXL
551 Posts
No problem Xterra. Must have saved some time getting the plastic bumper off without removing the metal reinforcement. I tried that and it was a no go.

Does someone want to preserve these DIY images somewhere? I don't have any immediate plans to, but I could see running out of space on photobucket and deleting all of them at some point. That would break all the links... though the 11-13 is getting long in the tooth now so maybe these DIY's aren't as helpful as they once were. :unsure:
I see people joining after buying a 13 optima because they are not able to buy new. Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
What is the fair price for installing this on my 2013 Optima LX with Hybrid LED Tail Lights ? TIA.
When I paid an installer to do my led reflectors about 3.5 yrs ago it and it was around $100, not sure about converting to Hybrid tails from an LX because I believe the wiring may be different. If I remember correctly there's a thread of members converting from LX tails to led tails which then I'm sure it will work for Hybrid as well, probably not much work involve if I'm not mistaken.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2013; 2015 Kia Optima
367 Posts
When I paid an installer to do my led reflectors about 3.5 yrs ago it and it was around $100, not sure about converting to Hybrid tails from an LX because I believe the wiring may be different. If I remember correctly there's a thread of members converting from LX tails to led tails which then I'm sure it will work for Hybrid as well, probably not much work involve if I'm not mistaken.

$100 seems reasonable for installing LED bumper reflectors on my LX. Thanks for the info.

I paid about $60 to install 2013 Hybrid LED Taillights on my 2013 Optima LX about 6 months ago.

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
$100 seems reasonable for installing LED bumper reflectors on my LX. Thanks for the info.

I paid about $60 to install 2013 Hybrid LED Taillights on my 2013 Optima LX about 6 months ago.
Your welcome and I've learned so much from this forum and if you were near me I would do it for you for free. I love helping out members and it's my way of giving it back to the community, GL and let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
2013 Optima SWP
422 Posts

Nah save the money and do it yourself or with a buddy. It's easy.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
69 Posts
I was able to knock it out in about 1.5 hours once I had all tools and parts laid out. I also taped the crap out of multiple areas of bumper and body as it was just me. I have had experience as a car audio installer for many years and have done a bunch of rear sensors on cars, just to give you an idea of my skill level and tool collection. It really is not that hard of a job that any of you guys can do, just plan ahead and make sure you have right tools. I would give this mod a 5/10 on the difficulty scale just for being careful with the body and bumper and having to undo so many clips/screws/bolts. Following the last part about removing the 4 screw/clips, 2 on bottom of diffuser and the 2 below the lights made this so much faster.

181 - 199 of 199 Posts