Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,
Looking for a really good leather conditioner. Auto Zone recommended Griot’s 3-in-1 leather conditioner, but just like the stuff I used previously, within a few days, the seats start drying and cracking again. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
2018 KIA Optima
170 Posts
"Turtle wax t484r ICE premium interior cleaner and protectant"

Blue bottle green label. I couldn't find it in stores. Just amazon.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
592 Posts

You're likely looking for the Wrong Product.
I use to have an article by the Technical Director of (I think) Lexol that contradicted the notion of buying Leather Conditioner for 98% of U.S. cars that have a VINYL Coating on the "leather" - hence my many years use of Lexol Vinylex - UNTIL I bought the '16 SXL with Napa Leather.

Assuming you're not Napa, do a Search for Lexol Vinylex or Aerospace 303 Protectant.

On the small chance you're Napa, my lifelong frustration with Kia is making it a CIA level secret What Parts of the Leather are Napa, and what are Vinyl-coated, as I'm certain everything isn't Napa. I'm confident the Diamond-stitch sections are and maybe the connecting panels around it, but back-side of frt seats, head rests, lower frt-bk seat panels, etc = Not likely.

For Napa I use what you may not want to spend the $$ for - The Leather Institute sells to (ie) private jets maintenance type companies, and the Quart I buy is $30 + ship. 2-Year Use life...... I use it on the parts I "think" are Napa as described, and Vinylex on the other parts PLUS ANY Rubber on the car. My $$ Michelin Wipers started squeaking and Vinylex cures that, and having installed a Trunk Lift-Spring as my SXL has Trunk Auto-Unlock when I'm at it with Smart-Key, and on rare occasions the Trunk doesn't lift from the rubber seals sticking, so Vinylex cures that.

As I'm telling everyone, put your year, model, engine in your Signature as Answers are affected and more quickly given by your data.

Reactions: Turbonut

·
Registered
190 Posts
To figure out what is leather and what isn't, in Canada by law states what ever touches the body has to be leather if using the term leather seats! so where you sit is leather! where your back touches is leather and the sides so basically gust the top and back of the seats should be leather but have seen US cars with just the center piece on the bottom and back being leather

·
Registered
2013 Ebony SXL Turbo: Original Everything @ about 189K with Drag wheels.
344 Posts
Regular Lexol is just fine too, leather or not, go for it! Separate cleaner from the protectant thought, not one step.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Regular Lexol is just fine too, leather or not, go for it! Separate cleaner from the protectant thought, not one step.
Thanks!!! You guys rock! I do want to point out however, that the cheaper stuff: Chemical Guys Leather Quick Detailer seems to last a bit longer (just a bit) than more expensive Griot’s 3 in 1 leather spray that I bought just before I opened this post. Trying Lexol next. Hopefully it will last longer…

·
Registered
Optima SXL
14 Posts
Guys,
Looking for a really good leather conditioner. Auto Zone recommended Griot’s 3-in-1 leather conditioner, but just like the stuff I used previously, within a few days, the seats start drying and cracking again. Any recommendations?
Check out Leather Honey, available directly from leatherhoney.com or from Amazon, Walmart, Advance Auto Parts, etc. You can find more information and excellent reviews on line. (Full disclosure: Leather Honey LLC is owned and operated by my niece and nephew--so you know it has to be good!;))

·
Registered
2 Posts
Guys,
I've been using Dura Gloss leather conditioner 221 for years on all my leather and it's worked great. It also smells great to me. A little pricey but well worth it. Napa used to carry it but you'll probably have to get it on line now, unless you live in North Carolina where it's made. The also make a great polish #101 I think, that will make your paint look 3 dimensional.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've been using Dura Gloss leather conditioner 221 for years on all my leather and it's worked great. It also smells great to me. A little pricey but well worth it. Napa used to carry it but you'll probably have to get it on line now, unless you live in North Carolina where it's made. The also make a great polish #101 I think, that will make your paint look 3 dimensional.
Thanks!!!!!!

·
Registered
91 Posts
My vote is for Lexol. I use both the cleanerand the protectant. The my interio is white and I made the mistake of wearing new black jeans which "stained" the driver seat. I used the Lexol cleaner and it got my seats looking new. I also use the conditioner and it keeps my seats looking new, especially in the Texas summers. I do recommend you go to the Lexol websiteand watch the how to videos and wear disposable glovves because thestuff does get greasy. I'vealso heard that Leatherhoney is good, and alot of guys on the GTO forums swear by it, I may give it a shotonce I run out of Lexol.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My vote is for Lexol. I use both the cleanerand the protectant. The my interio is white and I made the mistake of wearing new black jeans which "stained" the driver seat. I used the Lexol cleaner and it got my seats looking new. I also use the conditioner and it keeps my seats looking new, especially in the Texas summers. I do recommend you go to the Lexol websiteand watch the how to videos and wear disposable glovves because thestuff does get greasy. I'vealso heard that Leatherhoney is good, and alot of guys on the GTO forums swear by it, I may give it a shotonce I run out of Lexol.
I've user the Lexol cleaner and liked it. Got some dirt out I couldn't even see. I tried the conditioner but found it too greasy. The thing I like most about the Dura Gloss is it soaks into the leather and if you get a good amount into the seams they'll stay great for a long long time. Good stuff.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Getting your windows tinted is also a great way to maintain the leather in your car. Direct sunlight wrecks leather fast so does heat.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts