Kia Optima Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,409 Posts
I like how everyone has ignored that leather conditioner does nothing for vinyl seats lol
Why I just purchased Lexol Vinylex. I plan on cleaning with Mother's LeatherWash foam (says it cleans vinyl as well as Leather) and will use Vinylex to condition/protect the "leather" afterwards. Comments/recommendations??

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
actually i ran across a company called leather honey recently, it's a lot better than the OTC stuff.
I haven't tried the cleaner but the conditioner is awesome. You clean, apply, and wipe off. just make sure you use only a little bit since this is a very thick product and you'll end up with super greasy and shiny seat that'll transfer to your pants otherwise

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
This thread should have been started in the 'Optima Appearance & Body Modifications' category.

The KIA seat IS leather if your Trim MSRP label states that it is, just that it's coated with some time of protectant which is likely to be polyurethane. Toyota got nailed for calling seats leather when in fact they where vinyl. Many cars may have portions of the seats that could be vinyl such as the backs or the sides of the seat cushion meeting the plastic valance.

You can use any products you want since you're basically CLEANING the surface protectant that's on top of the leather. Lexol leather cleaner or Vinylex - doesn't matter which you choose, if it cleans, then it's good to use. Don't be caught up in the marketing bull. You can even use just an all-purpose cleaner as long as you've tested it to be safe or dilute it.

Conditioners are very unlikely to penetrate the polyurethane coating and reach down into the leather so it's really a waste to put it on. It may just backfire to collect dust, dirt and blue jeans dye transfer since the surface will become more tacky even if you polish it off. If the conditioner states that it has a UV protectant then it may be beneficial since the UV rays from the sun is what breaks down seat finishes prematurely, especially in hot portions of the country.

Watch below - Darren is a pain in the ass to listen to but he's got his facts right - oh and he loves to push Meguiars products.

·
Premium Member
1,409 Posts
This thread should have been started in the 'Optima Appearance & Body Modifications' category.

The KIA seat IS leather if your Trim MSRP label states that it is, just that it's coated with some time of protectant which is likely to be polyurethane. Toyota got nailed for calling seats leather when in fact they where vinyl. Many cars may have portions of the seats that could be vinyl such as the backs or the sides of the seat cushion meeting the plastic valance.

You can use any products you want since you're basically CLEANING the surface protectant that's on top of the leather. Lexol leather cleaner or Vinylex - doesn't matter which you choose, if it cleans, then it's good to use. Don't be caught up in the marketing bull. You can even use just an all-purpose cleaner as long as you've tested it to be safe or dilute it.

Conditioners are very unlikely to penetrate the polyurethane coating and reach down into the leather so it's really a waste to put it on. It may just backfire to collect dust, dirt and blue jeans dye transfer since the surface will become more tacky even if you polish it off. If the conditioner states that it has a UV protectant then it may be beneficial since the UV rays from the sun is what breaks down seat finishes prematurely, especially in hot portions of the country.

Watch below - Darren is a pain in the ass to listen to but he's got his facts right - oh and he loves to push Meguiars products.

I like the two following websites on the subject:
For truly clean leather car seats, learn what the professional uses!
Car Leather Care and some useful tips from the expert

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes - this has been confirmed in another thread. If you have Nappa Leather, you're wasting your time by applying any leather conditioners to it. The conditioner just sits on top of the Nappa leather and then transfers to your clothes over time.

To care for Nappa, simply clean it regularly using mild wipes or a damp lint-free cloth.
Apologies if this is a stupid question, but how do I know if my seats are Nappa leather? Or are all the Kia leather seats Nappa leather? (2015 KOH, black leather interior.)

Googled, and may have answered my own question - Optima brochure states that the EX and Sx have leather seat trim, and the Limited has Nappa leather trim.

·
Premium Member
4,414 Posts
Apologies if this is a stupid question, but how do I know if my seats are Nappa leather? Or are all the Kia leather seats Nappa leather? (2015 KOH, black leather interior.)
There's no such thing as a stupid question and I can tell you're a new member but try to type in the search box which will give you most of the answers you're looking for. Nappa leather are ONLY available on the SXL model so your Hybrid just have the regular leather.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Well, I actually bought some Armor All wipes with the original formula that shines and it actually gives my dull Nappa seats a nice shine.

I used to use the Armor All cleaning wipes to clean my Nappa seats, but it just leaves everything dull looking including my dash/trim.

The original Armor All wipes have my cars looking better than new with shiny gray leather seats and glossy trim like back in the old days when I used Armor All on everything on my old cars including tires.

So I am guessing that the product that the Nappa leather is treated with is some kind of plastic/vinyl like sealant that absorbs the original Armor.

I like the results on my Nappa seats.:D

The only problem is that you have to wipe the entire seat with Armor All since the areas that you miss will be dull compared to the areas with Armor all and be very noticeable.

Here how my Nappa seats and interior looks after a week with the Armor all.

Before my interior was a really dull dark gray color.

You can see the difference more on back seats since i did not really wipe them well so the dull gray finish is very noticeable compared to the area i wiped well.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts