Kia Optima Forums banner

241 - 260 of 283 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi all,

Been awhile since I've posted, but the LAP3 install prompted me to make a concerted effort to come on back.

Much thanks to David and K5OS. Got the LAP3 Chip / 93 octane (along with my OCC and Plugs) installed over the weekend. Had a few opportunities to open it up this weekend. (Even got an unprompted "whee!" from my 18 month from a pull out of a red light)

Got some wastegate flutter under full throttle in one run that I don't recall ever getting before, but pretty sure not cause for concern. Feel free to correct me, if I should be concerned about this.

[Edit: might be detonation or spark plug blow out sound... not flutter... happened two more times again at WOT. I think one of the plugs was closer to .030 instead of .028 when I put it in but didnt think this would make a difference like previous posts indicated but not sure why else I might be getting this as I'm using a top tier 93 octane. Will try resetting ECU again and re-checking/gapping plugs. Any other suggestions?]

All in all well worth it even after just 3 days worth of short trips. The extra few tenths thus far in pulls definitely goes well with the new look of my dual slanted/staggered burnt blue tips I got welded on over the weekend as well.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2017 Tesla Model X
28,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #244
Hi all,

Been awhile since I've posted, but the LAP3 install prompted me to make a concerted effort to come on back.

Much thanks to David and K5OS. Got the LAP3 Chip / 93 octane (along with my OCC and Plugs) installed over the weekend. Had a few opportunities to open it up this weekend. (Even got an unprompted "whee!" from my 18 month from a pull out of a red light)

Got some wastegate flutter under full throttle in one run that I don't recall ever getting before, but pretty sure not cause for concern. Feel free to correct me, if I should be concerned about this.

[Edit: might be detonation or spark plug blow out sound... not flutter... happened two more times again at WOT. I think one of the plugs was closer to .030 instead of .028 when I put it in but didnt think this would make a difference like previous posts indicated but not sure why else I might be getting this as I'm using a top tier 93 octane. Will try resetting ECU again and re-checking/gapping plugs. Any other suggestions?]

All in all well worth it even after just 3 days worth of short trips. The extra few tenths thus far in pulls definitely goes well with the new look of my dual slanted/staggered burnt blue tips I got welded on over the weekend as well.
Hey there,

Thank you very much for posting your review here and you are also very welcome.

In regards to the issues you've had, after making sure to set the gap correctly and resetting the ECU, if you still are having issues, please give us a call so we can try and better asses the issue and assist you.

However very happy to hear you are enjoying the product and of course the car being much faster now. :)

·
Registered
2014 KIA Optima
11 Posts
Just want to throw some good words out on this product. I have to say I have been pleasantly surprised by the increase in power of my optima across the band, using the HKS plugs/K&N filter stock box w/o the intake scoop, mishimoto catch (PCV), and bov soundplate (looking at HKS), and of course Lap3 (91 Octane). I have worked on and owned an Evo 8/Subaru WRX and countless imports. This chip has really delivered especially for the price, and without pushing anything harder than it should be. Long story short if you're looking for that increase in power and the feel of 275HP FWD car, this upgrade is totally worth it. Enjoying it everyday, and not losing any mileage on my daily drive!

·
Registered
463 Posts
Just want to throw some good words out on this product. I have to say I have been pleasantly surprised by the increase in power of my optima across the band, using the HKS plugs/K&N filter stock box w/o the intake scoop, mishimoto catch (PCV), and bov soundplate (looking at HKS), and of course Lap3 (91 Octane). I have worked on and owned an Evo 8/Subaru WRX and countless imports. This chip has really delivered especially for the price, and without pushing anything harder than it should be. Long story short if you're looking for that increase in power and the feel of 275HP FWD car, this upgrade is totally worth it. Enjoying it everyday, and not losing any mileage on my daily drive!
If you're a fan of the BOV as i am, do yourself a favour and get the HKS BOV. Its soooooo loud once you have the Tune installed as its creating more Boost and having to relieve more pressure.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
91 Posts
This is most likely correct.

By the way did you reset the battery cables by holding them together? This helps to speed the process along.

Very happy to hear you are enjoying the tune. :)
You mean putting the positive and negative together? Wouldn't this cause a big spark or nuclear explosion of somewhat?

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
91 Posts
Hi, I got a question about this mod. I been reading this thread throughout entirely and some people have said don't drive hard under this temperature or over this certain amount like from 55f-75f. Summer is coming and i'm sure the 80s and 90s will come, so is it still fine to run this mod at full power in this weather and would it do anything to the car? And same question again but for colder winter months please.Also, how do you measure the gap of the spark plugs and what would you use to adjust it?

·
Registered
2012 Optima
103 Posts
You mean putting the positive and negative together? Wouldn't this cause a big spark or nuclear explosion of somewhat?
as long as both cables are disconnected from the battery all you will do is drain the residual power out of the capacitors and other electronic storage wizardry that keeps computers alive. make sure both cables are disconnected from the battery and touch the cables to each other but not to the battery. you probably won't die and it will reset all the computers in the vehicle.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
91 Posts
as long as both cables are disconnected from the battery all you will do is drain the residual power out of the capacitors and other electronic storage wizardry that keeps computers alive. make sure both cables are disconnected from the battery and touch the cables to each other but not to the battery. you probably won't die and it will reset all the computers in the vehicle.
Got cha

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2017 Tesla Model X
28,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #251
Awesome feedback and review, thank you for posting and sharing. Glad you are enjoying the tune!

If you're a fan of the BOV as i am, do yourself a favour and get the HKS BOV. Its soooooo loud once you have the Tune installed as its creating more Boost and having to relieve more pressure.
I agree, not only does the HKS sound much better than a simple sound plate, but it also acts as a true functioning blow off valve and helps to relieve back pressure on the turbo under load.

Yes but off of the battery. So essentially you would disconnect both the power and ground cables from the battery, and then hold them to each other for about 60 seconds or so. (Off of the battery of course)

Hi, I got a question about this mod. I been reading this thread throughout entirely and some people have said don't drive hard under this temperature or over this certain amount like from 55f-75f. Summer is coming and i'm sure the 80s and 90s will come, so is it still fine to run this mod at full power in this weather and would it do anything to the car? And same question again but for colder winter months please.Also, how do you measure the gap of the spark plugs and what would you use to adjust it?
Unfortunately everything you read will not always be correct as many people have their own opinions on certain things. We have been selling this tune now for a little over a year and have well over 285+ customers running this. Many of them have been running it all year round. Also customers all across the world in different climates are running this as well. Sure if you live in an area with extreme temperatures, it might be a good idea not to drive hard and go WOT in those certain times and areas, however across the board this should not be an issue.

Yep this exactly!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2014 KIA Optima
314 Posts
Welcome sir! Yes that is correct, they should be set to 0.028.
Thanks for confirming! I measured all 4 with a gauge feeler and everything was already at 0.028
Just installed the chip & plugs today. I did the ECU reset as well, as recommended.
I am seeing a slowly pulsing green light, my assumption is that means A-OK :)
Taking it easy now for a day for the ECU to adjust...

·
Registered
2014 KIA Optima
11 Posts
Some pictures of the box I rigged for the lap3 chip.
Where did you get the box for the lap 3?
I had a plastic headlight case from some old headlights I never installed, painted it black and fit a foam casing inside. Printed the logo out and stuck it on there haha. Pretty simple and cheap. Just need to clean up the cutout edges where the plug goes.

·
Registered
2016 KIA OPTIMA
151 Posts
2016 Kia Optima SX TURBO here. Quick question, I'm thinking about doing this whole LAP3 mod because who doesn't want to go faster if they can.

Current mods-
KINETIC CAT BACK EXHAUST
AEM CAI
HKS BOV

My first question is, being that the car is new and only has around 3,000 miles on it should I wait till I put a little more age on the engine before chipping it?

Second question is, being that I also have a remote starter that was installed on vehicle by dealer is there a possibility of me messing with how that functions if I do the whole battery/ecu reset? I don't want to lose that because I paid a decent penny for that set up as you could imagine.

All responses are appreciated!

241 - 260 of 283 Posts