Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 20 of 283 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
220 Posts
Ahhh so this is the new tune you've been hinting at, would normally jump on a deal but tunes make me Leary so I'm going to wait for some feedback to come in first. Looks very promising though!

·
Registered
625 Posts
David, good job on bringing the community another option on ECU tunes! How is this affected by Dealer ECU updates? Can it be removed before the Dealership does an update flash and then reinstalled with no problems? I'm guessing yes because it's not CAL ID locked?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Justed placed an order finally something good for the 14s n up can't wait lol
Post up a picture of your engine bay once you have it installed. I'm interested in where this would be strapped down to so it doesn't slide around in the engine bay. And if it's affected by engine temps under the hood. It gets hot under there for sure. I'm seriously thinking of switching from the UTUNE flash to this due to the amount of forced ECU updates from KIA. David, any idea if there will be regular updates to this or will it be a one shot deal like UTUNE?

·
Registered
2014 Optima Kia optima sx turbo
8 Posts
is that hp bump on a stock kia Optima?
if so does that mean when tuned with intake, or catback it'll give better hp results?

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2017 Tesla Model X
28,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ahhh so this is the new tune you've been hinting at, would normally jump on a deal but tunes make me Leary so I'm going to wait for some feedback to come in first. Looks very promising though!
Yes sir this is what we've been hinting at. Actually this is not a new tune, just new to the US. This has been run on vehicles in Korea for quite sometime now. We are just working with the manufacturer to officially distribute the product here in the North America.
David, good job on bringing the community another option on ECU tunes! How is this affected by Dealer ECU updates? Can it be removed before the Dealership does an update flash and then reinstalled with no problems? I'm guessing yes because it's not CAL ID locked?
Thank you my friend! This is completely independent of the ECU on the vehicle. The tune will not be affected whatsoever from dealer updates to the vehicle. This tune does not flash the vehicle like other tunes do. This is more of a piggyback setup that simply goes inline some of the factory cabling to trick the vehicle into making more power. Once removed from the vehicle, everything returns to normal. This is the beauty of this tune, super easy to install and remove in only minutes and completely undetectable by the dealership.
This doesn't affect the ecu. It simply allows the ecu to acheive higher boost levels by overriding the signals sent from the intake manifold MAP sensor and the sensor coming off the intercooler at the throttle body.
Yep pretty much!
Thank you for your order with us Lance!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Post up a picture of your engine bay once you have it installed. I'm interested in where this would be strapped down to so it doesn't slide around in the engine bay. And if it's affected by engine temps under the hood. It gets hot under there for sure. I'm seriously thinking of switching from the UTUNE flash to this due to the amount of forced ECU updates from KIA. David, any idea if there will be regular updates to this or will it be a one shot deal like UTUNE?
received_3036931013553-1.jpg

·
Registered
463 Posts
How does this affect engine reliability ? I'm not going to even ask about mpg lol. Have their been any dynos done to prove the claims ?

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2017 Tesla Model X
28,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Maybe we will look into a custom chip holder like posted below. I do not believe there will be any regular updates with this tune. It is not needed. It has been around for sometime now in Korea. Just new here to the US.

Will do seems easy enough to install
Yep definitely is. :thumbsup:

is that hp bump on a stock kia Optima? if so does that mean when tuned with intake, or catback it'll give better hp results?
Yes sir that is correct. Only time will tell on how much extra hp will be made with additional mods.

Very nice!! Need to look into this.

How does this affect engine reliability ? I'm not going to even ask about mpg lol. Have their been any dynos done to prove the claims ?
This tune does not affect engine reliability at all. Yes there have been.

This dyno was done yesterday on a stock Optima in S Korea using the 89 octane tune:

·
Premium Member
2012 Kia Optima SX-T
1,435 Posts
David,

Q. If you were to compare the pros/cons (Major/Minor) of the new product to the latest BTR ECU tune, what would you list?

Q. Does the maker of this tune require upgraded plugs/OCCs or recommend them?

Q. In S. Korea, did this get fulled vetted such that we won't get blown motors in the USA like on early tunes?

Q. What warranty is provided for the product?

Q. Compared to the BTR tune, does this also get rid of the rev-up to ~2K RPM at cold start (when really cold outside)?

Q. Does this "fake out" the last O2 sensor such that "Test Pipes" that replace the stock Mid-pipe won't create a CEL?

Thanks again for your innovative efforts at bringing products to this market!

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima 2.0T
366 Posts
Took me around 45 minutes to get an estimate of the HP/Torque curves from the video...Here's the result at the wheels:

Stock vs LAP3.png

P.S I compensated the dynojet curves to get a maximum of 235 HP with the stock setup.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2017 Tesla Model X
28,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hello, I will answer your questions to the best of my ability below in red.

Q. If you were to compare the pros/cons (Major/Minor) of the new product to the latest BTR ECU tune, what would you list?
We are not able to compare this new tune to BTR as I have no experience with their tune at all.

Q. Does the maker of this tune require upgraded plugs/OCCs or recommend them?
They do not require that at all. However it is highly recommended to get better plugs as well as an oil catch can.

Q. In S. Korea, did this get fulled vetted such that we won't get blown motors in the USA like on early tunes?
This product has been around in S. Korea for sometime now and appears to be safe both on Korean models and US models.

Q. What warranty is provided for the product?
We warranty this the same as all of the products on our site. 1 year from the date of purchase.

Q. Compared to the BTR tune, does this also get rid of the rev-up to ~2K RPM at cold start (when really cold outside)?
This does not modify the cold startup of the vehicle that I'm aware of.

Q. Does this "fake out" the last O2 sensor such that "Test Pipes" that replace the stock Mid-pipe won't create a CEL?
No this is not a flashed tune, more of a piggyback setup.

Thanks again for your innovative efforts at bringing products to this market!
You're very welcome. This has been in the works now for sometime and I'm happy we're able to be on the forefront and introduce LAP3 to the North American market.
Took me around 45 minutes to get an estimate of the HP/Torque curves from the video...Here's the result at the wheels:

View attachment 160497

P.S I compensated the dynojet curves to get a maximum of 235 HP with the stock setup.
Nice work, although I'm not entirely sure I understand how these numbers were put together. This dyno I thought made 31hp with the 89 Octane tune.
[HR][/HR]
Great news though, guess what arrived today in the mail? :grin:

·
Super Moderator
2012 Kia Optima
3,442 Posts
Lance i'll be in town next weekend, hope you get it and get it installed. Love to check it out and go for a ride!

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima 2.0T
366 Posts
Nice work, although I'm not entirely sure I understand how these numbers were put together. This dyno I thought made 31hp with the 89 Octane tune.

Let me explain.

From the video, we can see a maximum of 225 HP with the stock setup on this dyno. Most of us should expect 235 HP on premium fuel (91 octane) with the stock setup at see level on a dyno. Basically, I compensated the two HP curves multiplying them by 1.04 (235HP / 225HP =1.04). After that, I used the standard formula to compute the two torque curves in lb.ft (HP * 5252 / RPM). That's it.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2017 Tesla Model X
28,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nice work, although I'm not entirely sure I understand how these numbers were put together. This dyno I thought made 31hp with the 89 Octane tune. Let me explain. From the video, we can see a maximum of 225 HP with the stock setup on this dyno. Most of us should expect 235 HP on premium fuel (91 octane) with the stock setup at see level on a dyno. Basically, I compensated the two HP curves multiplying them by 1.04 (235HP / 225HP =1.04). After that, I used the standard formula to compute the two torque curves in lb.ft (HP * 5252 / RPM). That's it.
Ok thanks for the break down. Actually a stock Optima running 87, 89, or 91 has been shown to make anywhere between 226hp-235hp max! The majority of dyno runs we have seen net somewhere in the 226-230hp range. That is what I have seen viewing around 5-7 dyno sheets on stock optima's
It might be in if they shipped it out earlier there date then what they said. But hit me up
All orders will be shipped out first thing tomorrow in the am.
I'm very interested, however I want to wait for some more "local" reviews as it is a nice chunk of change to drop .
:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 283 Posts