Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have recently switched my Nameless Performance filter from the drop in box to the AEM cone filter. The problem started right after the switch. Not sure if any of you guys have experienced the same thing. Here it goes: when I go into boost and after it let go of the gas paddle completely, I can feel the rpm dropped significantly and when I press down the gas paddle again, I can feel the lag. Is this what we call turbo lag?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
1,468 Posts
No. Turbo lag is the time between flooring the pedal and waiting for the turbo to give you the acceleration.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
313 Posts
Intake is new. And I’ll try to empty catch can today.
Have you had the induction system cleaned? It's not the intake, but rather the intake manifold, immediately in front of the valves. Since our cars are DI, there is no fuel being sprayed on these valves, and so a fuel treatment will not fix this. The only solution if they are gunked up is a walnut media blasting, or similar treatment. The easiest way to check this is with borescope.

·
Super Moderator
2012 Kia Optima
3,437 Posts
Hey guys, I have recently switched my Nameless Performance filter from the drop in box to the AEM cone filter. The problem started right after the switch. Not sure if any of you guys have experienced the same thing. Here it goes: when I go into boost and after it let go of the gas paddle completely, I can feel the rpm dropped significantly and when I press down the gas paddle again, I can feel the lag. Is this what we call turbo lag?
Haven't experienced this. I had Injen intake as well as the K&N. Pretty much the same other than sound is slightly diff between the two. Running the 4" 845 motorsports intake now.

·
Registered
2012 & 2015 Kia Optima SX & SXL
945 Posts
You are basically letting the car shift to the highest gear from the moment you let off the throttle. Then you are getting on the throttle, which takes a few seconds to switch back from the cruising gear back to lower gear. That's what you are feeling for the most part. If you were driving in Manual sport mode, not letting the car shift, it will be a lot more responsive.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts