Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
2015 K-K-K-K-K-KIA Optima
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just received a letter from KIA that detailed a 'Product Improvement Campaign' to update the 'Knock Sensor Detection System' (KSDS) software on my 2.4L GDI engine. This update is supposed to extend the warranty on my engine to 'lifetime' in case of a rod bearing wear failure...Anybody have any details or history on this type of failure?

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
132 Posts
I received the same letter on my 2015 Optima EX 2.4L as well. Not very comforting to know that excessive connecting rod bearing wear could be an issue in these engines. I'm also concerned that engine vibrations of any kind may put the car into "Limp" mode and require a trip to the dealer.

·
Registered
2015 Optima EX
62 Posts
Yeah I am not looking forward to the day when it does go into limp mode, either my car, or myself... hahahaha But in all seriousness, if this is a serious known issue, then they should just be replacing the engine ahead of this issue. I would be pissed if I were traveling across country and this **** happened...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I am not looking forward to the day when it does go into limp mode, either my car, or myself... hahahaha But in all seriousness, if this is a serious known issue, then they should just be replacing the engine ahead of this issue. I would be pissed if I were traveling across country and this **** happened...
Game of numbers I guess, much less expensive for KIA to 'warn' everyone and issue a software patch then to start digging into everyone's engine...All about the Benjamins...or the 'won' for KIA...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The gist of the letter was also a bit disturbing to me, basically if you didn't do the software update and have rod bearing failure you won't be covered...At least that's the way I interpreted the letter...

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima EX
172 Posts
It’s unclear how many are affected and how many failures occurred yet it’s enough for KIA to take action. On one side, software cannot stop the problem yet it (somehow) can detect a problem.

Bottomline, at least KIA is standing in front of this problem. Most car companies do not issue a life time warranty. For that I commend KIA.

·
Super Moderator
2012 Kia Optima
3,460 Posts
Basically the engine rod bearing wear failure has a massive issue in MY 2011-2014 cars, whereas the 2015's were alright. I think even though the process was changed later in 2014, I suspect Kia is doing an preventative update so if the cars detect the knock, they'll go into limp mode to allow the owners to get places and serviced prior to the engine blowing and leaving them stranded as it previously did.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Basically the engine rod bearing wear failure has a massive issue in MY 2011-2014 cars, whereas the 2015's were alright. I think even though the process was changed later in 2014, I suspect Kia is doing an preventative update so if the cars detect the knock, they'll go into limp mode to allow the owners to get places and serviced prior to the engine blowing and leaving them stranded as it previously did.
Appreciate the history on this problem Jason, hopefully my 2015 will hold up, I will be getting the SW update as well...

·
Registered
2015 KIA Optima
37 Posts
I went yesterday, 30 minutes tops.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
279 Posts
Is the letter going out to all '15 owners? I don't think I've gotten one, then again I've moved so who knows what address they have. How do I determine if I'm affected?

·
Registered
7 Posts
For those that have had this ECU update performed, do you notice any difference in performance and/or fuel economy. I'm perfectly happy (knock, knock, knock on wood) with my 15 Optima as it is and I don't want this to downgrade performance and/or fuel economy. My appointment is scheduled for Wednesday, 26 September.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
132 Posts
For those that have had this ECU update performed, do you notice any difference in performance and/or fuel economy. I'm perfectly happy (knock, knock, knock on wood) with my 15 Optima as it is and I don't want this to downgrade performance and/or fuel economy. My appointment is scheduled for Wednesday, 26 September.
Just had it done yesterday and it only took 30 minutes. No noticeable difference in performance. Too soon to know if fuel economy is affected but see no reason why it should be.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
158 Posts
‘14 SX-T in London, Ont here. Received the letter yesterday. Went in today and was in and out in 30 min. Was told around 50 engines at that specific dealership were replaced due to the issue. 2.0 and 2.4 litre engines. Latest one had over 350000kms... all covered :shocked:

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
38 Posts
It being 2018 now, creeping up into 2019, how many 2015s have you guys heard of actually suffering the same engine failures as the previous model years (2011-2014)?

1 - 20 of 108 Posts