Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2013; 2015 Kia Optima
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I took my 2015 Kia Optima LX to the local dealer for the software update on Sep 6, 2018. On October 10, I received another mail from Kia. It was dated Sep 20, 2018.

Applies to: some 2014 and all 2015 Kia Optima

As per the letter:"Our records show that the KSDS software was recently installed in your vehicle and we want to thank you for your quick action. Since then, Kia has become aware that the KSDS software version installed in your vehicle has an error and requires the installation of a new corrected software.

What will Kia do?
- At no cost, Kia will install the updated software version
- Complimentary tube, oil and filter change which can be utilized at your next regularly scheduled maintenance interval (no time to complete); and
- $25 gift card will be mailed if update is performed by November 30, 2018.

UPDATE:
Manufacturer Communication No.: VPI1802A1_OWNER Component(s): ELECTRICAL SYSTEM , ENGINE
NHTSA ID Number: 10145159
SUMMARY:
PRODUCT IMPROVEMENT CAMPAIGN (PI1802A1) UPDATE - OWNER LETTER - Dear Kia Optima Owner: As we previously notified you, Kia Motors America, Inc. is conducting an important Product Improvement Campaign to perform a software update on some 2014 MY Optima vehicles equipped with 2.4L Gasoline Direct Injection (?GDI?) engines, and all 2015 MY Optima vehicles equipped with 2.4L GDI and 2.0L Turbocharged GDI (?T-GDI?) engines to protect the engine from excessive connecting rod bearing damage by utilizing a Knock Sensor Detection System (?KSDS?). Our records show that the KSDS software was recently installed in your vehicle and we want to thank you for your quick action. Since then, Kia has become aware that the KSDS software version installed in your vehicle has an error and requires the installation of a new corrected software.

Manufacturer Communication No.: VPI1802A1_DSM
Component(s): ELECTRICAL SYSTEM , ENGINE
NHTSA ID Number: 10145158
SUMMARY:
PRODUCT IMPROVEMENT CAMPAIGN (PI1802A1) UPDATE - DEALER SERVICE MANAGER LETTER - As announced in July 2018, Kia Motors America, Inc. has been conducting a Product Improvement Campaign (PI1802) to perform a software update to protect the engine from excessive connecting rod bearing damage by utilizing a Knock Sensor Detection System (?KSDS?) on certain Kia vehicles. Since the launch of this Product Improvement Campaign, Kia has become aware that the KSDS software version installed on 2014~2015 MY Optima vehicles before September 7, 2018 has an error and requires the installation of a new corrected software.

·
Super Moderator
2012 Kia Optima
3,442 Posts
BAHAHAHA. Seems Kia needs to invest in some QA. This is almost like a Microsoft Update gone wrong! Too funny.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
132 Posts
Don't know of anyone (other than the OP) who's received the KSDS update error letter. It's dated Sept. 20 so there should be a lot in circulation by now.

·
Registered
2015 K-K-K-K-K-KIA Optima
74 Posts
Haven't seen this letter yet, but after the update I'm getting a diagnostic failed message coming from UVO, probably not related.

·
Registered
2013; 2015 Kia Optima
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I took my 2015 Kia Optima LX to the local dealer on Sep 6 for the software update. I did some search online and found this:

Manufacturer Communication No.: VPI1802A1_DSM
Component(s): ELECTRICAL SYSTEM , ENGINE
NHTSA ID Number: 10145158
SUMMARY:
PRODUCT IMPROVEMENT CAMPAIGN (PI1802A1) UPDATE - DEALER SERVICE MANAGER LETTER - As announced in July 2018, Kia Motors America, Inc. has been conducting a Product Improvement Campaign (PI1802) to perform a software update to protect the engine from excessive connecting rod bearing damage by utilizing a Knock Sensor Detection System (?KSDS?) on certain Kia vehicles. Since the launch of this Product Improvement Campaign, Kia has become aware that the KSDS software version installed on 2014~2015 MY Optima vehicles before September 7, 2018 has an error and requires the installation of a new corrected software.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My engine on my 2015 sorrento blew at 74400 miles. So if you think your safe in a 2015... uhhh. I got the software update on a sat....then my motor blew on monday. .....no limp light came on before it blew.. so good luck everyone....

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
1,868 Posts
I've seen 2017 seize, so welcome to the group. At least you'll have a new engine when all is said and done and it will be fine.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
1,868 Posts
I feel better now that they replaced the engine as before, on long trips always
wondered if/when the engine was going to let go.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts