Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I recently ordered the Korean spec OEM dual projectors with drl but upon opening it I cannot seem to figure out how these are plug and play as stated by many people who've ordered it before. Kind of strange since the 10pin won't connect with our 8pin connections. If anyone could chime me I'd appreciate it! I'm just lost at this point

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,770 Posts
Not really familiar with the 2015, but when adding DRL's to the '11 additional wiring needed to be run.
Supplier where the headlights were purchased mention plug/play?

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,811 Posts
The actual headlamps themselves are plug & play.

However, there is a single pin connection that needs to be made in order to have the LED strip light up in the headlamps.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm just wondering how we connect the 10pin connectors to our 8pin. Do we have to take off the 8pin and fit it onto the Korean spec ones? If so that's not too bad. I've seen 350z owners switch to jap OEM nismo lights with 8 pin when USA models only have 6. He just took the pins and fit it onto the jap ones. Simple rewire job

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

The actual headlights clip right in but the wires definitely will need some kind of retrofitting done or switching out the wires in them currently so it can fit the OEM connections

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,770 Posts
Yup, easypeasy, sounds like another PIA conversion. Guess you could isolate the DRL wires assuming 2 and hook them up separately into an ignition on circuit, then use the corresponding 8 wires into the OEM harness.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think it's one the other extra 10th one is for the static bending lights which I know won't work. So including the drl it's one on each side. 2 in total 2 wires ones from each side hardwired to the circuit as mentioned but the connectors will need to be retrofitted on by taking the OEM headlights 8pin connectors out and swap over to the new ones

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got quoted 250 to take apart the bumper and wire everything in. Not happy as I have already spent a bunch, but oh well it is what it is. On top of that I bought the morimoto h7 kit as well

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,770 Posts
At least you're getting what you want in the car, albeit a few dollars. Just think you could have that money in the stock markets and watch it drop quickly.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I do have money in stock 10x amount but I already profited from that I'm a business major guy ? and now doing cyber security. Been sold that before the virus hit haha. It is what it is also does anyone have a diagram of the 8pin OEM USA connector? I think I found the diagram of the 10pin Korean spec ones. Might save me some money when it comes to the install.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Now from that could you possibly match it up for me and tell me which wires go to which? Or is that too much ?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Did you get these set up installed? If so how do you like it? Thinking of getting the same set up
I got quoted 250 to take apart the bumper and wire everything in. Not happy as I have already spent a bunch, but oh well it is what it is. On top of that I bought the morimoto h7 kit as well

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No I haven't had time yet and am debating on just returning it at this point. I've spent 1.2k for this only to find out I need to depin the whole wiring and retrofit onto the new headlights. To spend another 2 or 3 hundred for it to be professionally installed. But I will keep you guys updated. It just isn't a priority anymore at this point as my led kit in my oem projectors are plenty bright

·
Registered
Kia Optima Si 2014
70 Posts
You could buy the 8 pin male(?) connecter kit (link below). Then all you would need to do is :
-cut off the 10pin from the headlights to leave the wires free.
-Make sure you have already labelled the wires according to 10 pin diagram in post above
-connect them to the 8 pin according to the diagram in post above
Have you done much wiring yourself? Not too hard ? Takes a bit of time but very satisfying.

Ali express 8 pin

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I haven't done this sort of wiring before. Hence why I would need a shop or someone professional to do it. Also the drl has to be spliced and hard wired to a always on fuse

1 - 20 of 25 Posts