Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the girlfriend gets home from a friend's house yesterday and tells me the car is making a new loud noise that gets worse with acceleration. No codes being thrown. I hop in the car and start it with the hood open. Over the regular noise of the engine you can hear a knocking noise. When I hit the gas pedal, it got way worse. Guess the car will be taking a ride to the dealer for an engine test, again.

·
Registered
2013 Ebony SXL Turbo: Original Everything @ about 189K with Drag wheels.
322 Posts
How loud of a knock? Rod bearing knock is Really loud, like a 3lb hammer being hit against solid metal, can be heard a few houses away. Yet no CEL. Let us know what stealership says.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
129 Posts
So the girlfriend gets home from a friend's house yesterday and tells me the car is making a new loud noise that gets worse with acceleration. No codes being thrown. I hop in the car and start it with the hood open. Over the regular noise of the engine you can hear a knocking noise. When I hit the gas pedal, it got way worse. Guess the car will be taking a ride to the dealer for an engine test, again.
It's not good to do for too long but you can take the belt off and start it and run it for a little to see if it's one of the other components in the drive belt.

·
Registered
6 Posts
In general, if a code isn't thrown, a knocking noise at idle or constant speed is often a connecting rod bearing. Knocking noise that gets louder on acceleration or under load is often a crankshaft bearing. There are exceptions, but this is a good place to start.

BV Cooper

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,640 Posts
In general, if a code isn't thrown, a knocking noise at idle or constant speed is often a connecting rod bearing. Knocking noise that gets louder on acceleration or under load is often a crankshaft bearing. There are exceptions, but this is a good place to start.

BV Cooper
This!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dealer couldn't get it in until the 21st for the test. I had it towed to my regular mechanic's shop. He said the same thing as bvcooper above and that's what I suspected. Needs a new engine, again. Having it towed to the dealer to for the testing and then I have to wait until they hear back from Kia corporate about whether it's still covered under the recall warranty. Something tells me best case scenario, they'll go half with me.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The plot thickens...my mechanic had one of his guys check for codes even though it wasn't throwing any before I had the car towed over. He said there was a code in the history from about 3k miles ago, but it didn't say what it was. That timing coincides with a shutoff issue I had while driving and diagnostics at the dealership. No codes showed up on my reader at that time either and the dealer said they didn't get any codes either. Wonder if they cleared a code because they didn't want to deal with an issue then or if the computer didn't read the issue for more than a cycle and just cleared it out?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just got the news the other day, Kia is replacing the engine again. The car didn't pass the clearance test. They set me up with a rental and engine 3 should be installed within 2 weeks roughly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts