Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
02/2013 ROTM
2013 Kia Optima
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just started noticing a knock sound coming from the suspension when I start backing into parking spots. It sounds like something metal is getting slightly caught and flinging back into place, maybe.

In taking it into the dealer later to get a look. Just wondering if anyone has had a similar issue. Car has 5000 miles on it. About 60 miles with new rims... 20 x 8.5 +38s I think

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
2014 ROTY
2016 Cadillac ATS Luxury
2,575 Posts
Yep, I have it and I'm on stock 16's. I think it's the same issues others are reporting about the clunk when turning left, only mine does it in reverse. Not sure if yours is the same but it only happens if I turn the wheel to the right backing up. I suppose it could be the new wheels for you but I do have this.

·
02/2013 ROTM
2013 Kia Optima
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, I have it and I'm on stock 16's. I think it's the same issues others are reporting about the clunk when turning left, only mine does it in reverse. Not sure if yours is the same but it only happens if I turn the wheel to the right backing up. I suppose it could be the new wheels for you but I do have this.
It definitely did it twice today while backing up, with the wheel turned to the right both times. Sounds like the same thing... I don't like it. I hope they can diagnose and cure it at the dealer

·
2014 ROTY
2016 Cadillac ATS Luxury
2,575 Posts
Let me know what they tell you, I haven't mentioned it to them yet but I am do for service in less than 2000K miles so I was going to mention it then.

·
02/2013 ROTM
2013 Kia Optima
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well they drove it back into the garage and said they heard the sound once each (once by the guy driving it back there in Drive, and once by the mechanic in Reverse). They threw it on the lift to take a look, didn't see anything. So they just tightened everything on the front suspension (sway bolts, struts, lug nuts, etc.) and thy were unable to recreate the knock sound. So it might be fixed, just gotta keep my eye on it.

·
2014 ROTY
2016 Cadillac ATS Luxury
2,575 Posts
Let me know if it is gone. To play on Armageddon a bit, I can picture my dealer beating on my car with a hammer while saying "American Components, Korean Components, All made in Taiwan"

·
Registered
211 Posts
Mine makes the same sound every morning backing out of my driveway. I turn to the right as well. Glad it seems to be fixed for you.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Bleh I had the same thing happen. Sounds like it was the anti lock brakes, but I heard it while pulling out forwards and backwards.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I hear the same clunk while in reverse and turning the wheel all the way to its limit, if i back out and dont turn the wheel all the way i dont hear the clunk sound. So something is there, i only have a little over 5K miles on mine.

·
2014 ROTY
2016 Cadillac ATS Luxury
2,575 Posts
I don't have to turn the wheel all the way to it's limit. It's not an overbearingly loud clunk for me , just noticeable. If it does it again tomorrow morning, which I see know reason why it wouldn't, I'll make an appointment.

·
02/2013 ROTM
2013 Kia Optima
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Heard the noise coming out of my driveway again this morning. Tried to recreate the noise in a random parking lot later, but couldn't do it. Gonna have to work on being able to recreate it at will to get the dealer to be able to hear it too.

·
02/2013 ROTM
2013 Kia Optima
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
lame i thin i am getting some kinda klunk was reversing today with wheel turned all the way right. and felt a klunk through the steering wheel . i dont think there was anything on the road to do it. couldn't replicate it again though
That's the one :(

Keep an eye out for it. Mine happens the same way: backing up, with wheel turned all the way to the right.

·
02/2013 ROTM
2013 Kia Optima
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I keep hearing the sound, but it usually only happens one time. Once it happens, I can't get it to happen again until the next time I drive the car. Which is really going to create a problem for when the dealer tries to figure out what it is.

·
02/2013 ROTM
2013 Kia Optima
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My dealer is telling me there is nothing they can do unless I am able to recreate the noise consistently. They know the car is safe, and that the issue is more of just a noise/nuisance, so they don't want to waste my time or theirs trying to fix an issue that they can't really diagnose properly because they can't get the noise to happen consistently.

Anyone else had any luck with this? Or tried going to the dealer about it?

·
02/2013 ROTM
2013 Kia Optima
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I get the same sound every night when I back into my driveway. I stop the car in front of the house while turning to the left, put the car in reverse, turn the wheel towards the right and as soon as I start backing up I hear the "CLUNK" sound >.<
Yep, that's the noise unfortunately. Do you find that it usually only happens once, and that it's hard to recreate after it makes that noise?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts