Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy. I purchased a 2015 Kia Optima last year and have been having issues. It initially went into limp home mode 6 months ago and found out that it is a recall issue. The dealership did a software update and we were on our way. A few months ago, same thing and they did an update to the update. Last Friday it happened again. It is currently at the Kia dealership. They are now telling me it’s the knock sensor wiring and we might be responsible for the Bill, over 600.00. If this is a recall issue why are we having to pay for it. It doesn’t make any sense. The guy at the counter said that the engine has a lifetime warranty and we’re hoping that they’ll just do that. If we do pay for the service, and it happens again then what? This is my wife’s car and we are scared to drive it anywhere. I’ve been researching this and it’s a recall issue and it seems like they are giving us the run around. I told them that they are just patching the issue and waiting for something else to break that isn’t under recall. It sucks. Just fix the **** thing. We are currently waiting to hear from them to see who is responsible for the Bill. Anyone else have issues like this and any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Sean
Corpus Christi, Texas.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,524 Posts
Miles?
Welcome to the group, and as many have had problems with the update/wiring, you're the first I've heard that Kia wants to charge for the correction that was caused by their update.
As far as I'm concerned their KSDS update did the job it was designed to do with your car, put the car in limp mode so that you can get to the dealer. If the engine isn't kaput and update faulty, their dime to fix the update correctly, mainly because it was Kia installed update, not something you elected to have installed.

Never know when these engines are going to self-destruct, some get a warning and can drive for many miles, others die quickly.

If they continue to hassle you for repair costs, give Kia customer service a call, expalain the situation, and hopefully the dealership hasn't contacted them to discuss how to screw the customer.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Miles?
Welcome to the group, and as many have had problems with the update/wiring, you're the first I've heard that Kia wants to charge for the correction that was caused by their update.
As far as I'm concerned their KSDS update did the job it was designed to do with your car, put the car in limp mode so that you can get to the dealer. If the engine isn't kaput and update faulty, their dime to fix the update correctly, mainly because it was Kia installed update, not something you elected to have installed.

Never know when these engines are going to self-destruct, some get a warning and can drive for many miles, others die quickly.

If they continue to hassle you for repair costs, give Kia customer service a call, expalain the situation, and hopefully the dealership hasn't contacted them to discuss how to screw the customer.
Thank you. The vehicle has around 65k miles. I just went the the dealership. It has been diagnosed, again, and with a bad knock sensor harness and that the case in with tech line to see if it will be covered. I have the understanding that this is a recall
Issue and should be covered. Now it seems like they want to point the finger at me. We took it in Sat. morning and are still waiting for a reply. I called Kia this morning and opened up a case with them. Ill
Post an update. Thanks.
Sean

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,524 Posts
Recall is on the engine, update on the knock sensor detection system. Kia updated the knock sensor to pick up a rod knock so the engine didn't seize and possibly cause catastrophic damage that could result in a fire or serious accident. They killed 2 birds with one stone so to say, it, in most cases, allows one to get to the dealership and without major engine damage. Having said that, the daughter's 2017 Santa Fe, 72,0000 miles, CEL came on and 9 miles later the engine seized, pouring down rain and on a narrow 2 lane back road.

Reason I asked the mileage is that emission controls are warranted for 80,000 miles, not that this is an emmision control device, but a case might be made as Kia did the installation. Might be far reaching, but.....

Keep us posted

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Recall is on the engine, update on the knock sensor detection system. Kia updated the knock sensor to pick up a rod knock so the engine didn't seize and possibly cause catastrophic damage that could result in a fire or serious accident. They killed 2 birds with one stone so to say, it, in most cases, allows one to get to the dealership and without major engine damage. Having said that, the daughter's 2017 Santa Fe, 72,0000 miles, CEL came on and 9 miles later the engine seized, pouring down rain and on a narrow 2 lane back road.

Reason I asked the mileage is that emission controls are warranted for 80,000 miles, not that this is an emmision control device, but a case might be made as Kia did the installation. Might be far reaching, but.....

Keep us posted
Thanks for info and I am sorry to hear about your daughters car. I have done a lot of research on this over the past few months. Our Optima’s KSDS has been update twice now. The first one worked for a bit then when it happened again, the update had an update... I guess it still had a few bugs in the initial update.... well, at least that’s what they told me. We are now waiting for tech line to approve the recall for repairs which is now the Knock Sensor Harness...?? Everyone I have asked said it is a recall issue and should be covered, but they told me that we might be responsible for the repair. I called Kia Customer care and they opened up a case, I even got a case number. She was going to reach out to the dealership and she even sounded surprised that I might have to cover the repair. If we do have to pay for the repair, how do we know this will fix the problem. I’ve read people who have had the knock sensor replaced still had issues with it going into Limp Home Mode. If they cover it that would be a Godsend plus they would cover the rental too.
I told them Sat, when we took it To the dealership, that it seem like they are patching it so it’ll break somewhere else and it wont be covered and today it sounded like that’s exactly what they are doing. It’s a recall issue... just fix the car.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,524 Posts
[QUOTE="Secruz, post: 2239794, member: 147870]Everyone I have asked said it is a recall issue and should be covered, but they told me that we might be responsible for the repair. I called Kia Customer care and they opened up a case, I even got a case number. She was going to reach out to the dealership and she even sounded surprised that I might have to cover the repair. If we do have to pay for the repair, how do we know this will fix the problem. I’ve read people who have had the knock sensor replaced still had issues with it going into Limp Home Mode. If they cover it that would be a Godsend plus they would cover the rental too.
I told them Sat, when we took it To the dealership, that it seem like they are patching it so it’ll break somewhere else and it wont be covered and today it sounded like that’s exactly what they are doing. It’s a recall issue... just fix the car.
[/QUOTE]

I'll repeat, the KSDS is an update and not a recall., and to get the lifetime engine warranty one needs to have the update done on said vehicle, part of the settlement.
If you look up 2015 Kia Optima on the NHTSA recall database, it's only recalled for hydraulic electronic control unit and HP fuel line, not even the engine, but it is included in the settlement.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
[QUOTE="Secruz, post: 2239794, member: 147870]Everyone I have asked said it is a recall issue and should be covered, but they told me that we might be responsible for the repair. I called Kia Customer care and they opened up a case, I even got a case number. She was going to reach out to the dealership and she even sounded surprised that I might have to cover the repair. If we do have to pay for the repair, how do we know this will fix the problem. I’ve read people who have had the knock sensor replaced still had issues with it going into Limp Home Mode. If they cover it that would be a Godsend plus they would cover the rental too.
I'll repeat, the KSDS is an update and not a recall., and to get the lifetime engine warranty one needs to have the update done on said vehicle, part of the settlement.
If you look up 2015 Kia Optima on the NHTSA recall database, it's only recalled for hydraulic electronic control unit and HP fuel line, not even the engine, but it is included in the settlement.
[/QUOTE]
Really... so the knock sensor isn’t on recall? I’ve been reading on other sites that the dealer covered and “fixed” the problem. This sux!!

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,268 Posts
Hmm I don't remember getting a notice about the wiring harness or other mechanics of the knock sensor itself. But I have a 2012 SX.

For my 2012, the thing was they had to update the software that the car's computer uses to monitor the knock sensors. But when reprogramming the car's computer, they didn't mess around with the knock sensors of the wiring harness.

But I don't have the best memory, if anyone else can chime in?

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,154 Posts
Ask them why did they need to do "an update to the update"? What was wrong with the first update that they performed on your vehicle 6 months ago such that they had to apply another update? Why didn't they just apply this second update the first time around? If they claim it's because the second update was just recently made available, then that would imply that the KSDS update KIa has been programming into applicable vehicles prior to that release are now being driven with a less-than-trustworthy update--this I would find hard to believe since the KSDS campaign was made available roughly 2 years ago IIRC.

IMHO they should cover the knock sensor wiring (I suspect they are talking about the knock sensor wiring harness) since without a properly functioning harness the KSDS update would be practically useless since its purpose is to detect rod knock.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,524 Posts
Really... so the knock sensor isn’t on recall? I’ve been reading on other sites that the dealer covered and “fixed” the problem. This sux!!
All problems with the KSDS system should be corrected by Kia as they installed the update.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,268 Posts
Maybe when they first tried to update the software, they damaged the wiring harness?

·
Premium Member
2014 Kia Optima EX
64 Posts
I had the P1326 code with limp mode this past Friday night. Towed to the dealership and they diagnosed the car as needing a new knock sensor assembly. No charge as it fell under the whole lifetime knock issue warranty due to the poor quality control during milling of the engine block. I have a 145K on my 2014 as my commute daily is around 100 miles not including errands. I hope this IS the issue and not some false positive.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,524 Posts
I had the P1326 code with limp mode this past Friday night. Towed to the dealership and they diagnosed the car as needing a new knock sensor assembly. No charge as it fell under the whole lifetime knock issue warranty due to the poor quality control during milling of the engine block. I have a 145K on my 2014 as my commute daily is around 100 miles not including errands. I hope this IS the issue and not some false positive.
Glad they didn't charge you as in some instances they are saying wiring and wanting to stick the owner.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just recently my kia optima 2015, the engine began to knock so right away we sent it to the kia dealership they said there is nothing they can do but replace the engine which will be 7000+ dollars also I still owe 14000 because we have only had it for 2 years and since we are the 2nd owners it is also is only covered to 60,000 rather than 100,000 and it only has 93,000 miles on it. So they are telling us pretty much that we are screwed, but shouldn't they be doing the update and the recalls trying to hopefully get it fixed that way?! If anyone has any suggestions or help please respond

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,524 Posts
Just recently my kia optima 2015, the engine began to knock so right away we sent it to the kia dealership they said there is nothing they can do but replace the engine which will be 7000+ dollars also I still owe 14000 because we have only had it for 2 years and since we are the 2nd owners it is also is only covered to 60,000 rather than 100,000 and it only has 93,000 miles on it. So they are telling us pretty much that we are screwed, but shouldn't they be doing the update and the recalls trying to hopefully get it fixed that way?! If anyone has any suggestions or help please respond
KSDS update comes with a lifetime engine warranty for the "debris" issue, but needs to be done BEFORE the engine seizes. Once it seizes or needs replacement and no KSDS update, it isn't covered by the lifetime warranty.
Just another way for Hyundai/Kia to, excuse the working, screw the customer, and my opinion is that the engines continue to die and should be covered whether the update has been done or not.
Maybe the FTC will get involved.

·
Registered
2 Posts
KSDS update comes with a lifetime engine warranty for the "debris" issue, but needs to be done BEFORE the engine seizes. Once it seizes or needs replacement and no KSDS update, it isn't covered by the lifetime warranty.
Just another way for Hyundai/Kia to, excuse the working, screw the customer, and my opinion is that the engines continue to die and should be covered whether the update has been done or not.
Maybe the FTC will get involved.
My engine started making a horrible noise over the weekend, I was able to get it to a Kia dealership before it stopped running. This forum is the 1st I have heard about the knock sensor update. I have not done that. I am waiting to hear back from the dealership now. Any advice on what to do if they say the engine is not covered?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,524 Posts
My engine started making a horrible noise over the weekend, I was able to get it to a Kia dealership before it stopped running. This forum is the 1st I have heard about the knock sensor update. I have not done that. I am waiting to hear back from the dealership now. Any advice on what to do if they say the engine is not covered?
Guess others aren't too informed:

The settlement extends the Powertrain Warranty to a Lifetime Warranty for the engine short block assembly, upon completion of the Knock Sensor Detection System Update. It also provides a free recall inspection for any recalled vehicles not yet inspected, regardless of current mileage or prior repairs, and rental car reimbursement or loaner vehicles for any vehicles that undergo engine replacement.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Guess others aren't too informed:

The settlement extends the Powertrain Warranty to a Lifetime Warranty for the engine short block assembly, upon completion of the Knock Sensor Detection System Update. It also provides a free recall inspection for any recalled vehicles not yet inspected, regardless of current mileage or prior repairs, and rental car reimbursement or loaner vehicles for any vehicles that undergo engine replacement.
THANK YOU FOR RESPONDING!
I got it to the dealership BEFORE the engine seized, so technically it has not blown yet. I am hoping that might help my case. If you have any suggestions on what I should say when they call me I would appreciate it. I am so scared they are gonna say it won't be covered since I didn't do the update.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,524 Posts
THANK YOU FOR RESPONDING!
I got it to the dealership BEFORE the engine seized, so technically it has not blown yet. I am hoping that might help my case. If you have any suggestions on what I should say when they call me I would appreciate it. I am so scared they are gonna say it won't be covered since I didn't do the update.
Hope I'm wrong, but I'd be sitting down when they call as Kia has denied the warranty to others when the KSDS update hadn't been done. If the engine wasn't on the way out, I'd say have the update done, but they certainly aren't going to do that at this time.
Let us knoiw the outcome and hope its positive.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts