Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I’ve got a 2018 optima, and it recently had a flashing check engine light due to the knock sensor harness failure. My question is: after this fix, is it usually good to go, or does it all plummet from there? What would make it go out at only 13,000 miles? They said it will take two days to fix, has anyone had this happen to them? I wanna know if I need to start Shopping around.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,214 Posts
Ah ok--in that case I would ask them if they replaced the harness at the same time they did the update; if they didn't replace it, then I'd venture to say that replacing it should take care of the CEL; that, or perhaps there's been an update (i.e., newer version) to the KSDS software--either way the dealer should be able to take care of that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello,

I’ve got a 2018 optima, and it recently had a flashing check engine light due to the knock sensor harness failure. My question is: after this fix, is it usually good to go, or does it all plummet from there? What would make it go out at only 13,000 miles? They said it will take two days to fix, has anyone had this happen to them? I wanna know if I need to start Shopping around.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That sucks, I work less then a mile away from the dealership I use. For mine, it took longer to get the part than it did to replace. They put it in the shop at 3 and I had it back by 5. So it sat for 2 days waiting on the piece. But they gave me a lifetime warranty on the engine with it so I’m not mad about it. Been great ever since.

·
Registered
8 Posts
That gives me hope. The worst part was it was over there on Monday and when I called on Wed. they didn't know it was there. Once they found it and did the diagnostic he said he had to order the part. Could be Tuesday before it comes in.

·
Registered
2018 KIA Optima
10 Posts
That sucks, I work less then a mile away from the dealership I use. For mine, it took longer to get the part than it did to replace. They put it in the shop at 3 and I had it back by 5. So it sat for 2 days waiting on the piece. But they gave me a lifetime warranty on the engine with it so I’m not mad about it. Been great ever since.
I would check that lifetime warranty, I believe it is only a lifetime warranty against the specific thing it is protecting against, not the whole engine

·
Registered
2016 Optima SXL
143 Posts
Exactly. The 'lifetime' warranty is only for the con rod bearing issue. And since the powertrain warranty is for 10 years or 100K miles, I'm in no hurry to get that 'bandaid' crap fix done with only 25K and 2.5+ years of ownership. There's another post of somebody who had latest ECU update AND the new harness, and still got into limp mode the next month. Dealer confirmed it's not the engine, so they might replace the knock sensor now. That's why I'm not ready to do it yet.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
7 Posts
Did they cover a rental for you?

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
7 Posts
From the settlement:
It also provides a free recall inspection for any recalled vehicles not yet inspected, regardless of current mileage or prior repairs, and rental car reimbursement or loaner vehicles for any vehicles that undergo engine replacement.
They are fighting us tooth and nail. This is the 3rd time in 5 months for
The same error and we got the car less than a year ago. We’ve been waiting for 2 days now on who is gonna cover it. So it’s just been sitting there. Me and my wife have called in sick to work and we’ve lost income because of this wait. It’s very frustrating.
If it’s the knock sensor wire harness, and if we have to pY to fix it, is that going to fix it or will we be back In a few months with the same error and out over $600.00. They’re looking to screw us. I know it.
I have a good attorney friend too. He’s on standby.
Will post updates

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
4,319 Posts
They are fighting us tooth and nail. This is the 3rd time in 5 months for
The same error and we got the car less than a year ago. We’ve been waiting for 2 days now on who is gonna cover it. So it’s just been sitting there. Me and my wife have called in sick to work and we’ve lost income because of this wait. It’s very frustrating.
If it’s the knock sensor wire harness, and if we have to pY to fix it, is that going to fix it or will we be back In a few months with the same error and out over $600.00. They’re looking to screw us. I know it.
I have a good attorney friend too. He’s on standby.
Will post updates
When the engine problem occurred, Kia/Hyundai refused to pay for any repairs and in the end they were fined $130 million, but do they learn from
the past, no, and that is why their sales dropped fron high in 2015 or 2016, then downhill.
After the fine and settlement they stepped up to the plate with the no hassle repairs, warranty, on seized engines, high oil consumption engines,
and the problematic KSDS wiring harness. Now just the opposite, especially if the engine isn't seized, they seem to try any trick in the book to
circumvent their responsibility, and what is the layman to do? Just keep fighting to have it fixed free of charge, as why should you be held
accountable for an inadequate update initiated by Kia. If they didn't install the update you wouldn't have this problem.
After fixed, next time it happens, hopefully the engine will be seized then no question, but they may still try to worm their way out with some
excuses or maybe not offering a rental free of charge.

People keep purchasing their products though, maybe because they are cheap, and that's it in a nutsheel, cheap, junk..

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
7 Posts
When the engine problem occurred, Kia/Hyundai refused to pay for any repairs and in the end they were fined $130 million, but do they learn from
the past, no, and that is why their sales dropped fron high in 2015 or 2016, then downhill.
After the fine and settlement they stepped up to the plate with the no hassle repairs, warranty, on seized engines, high oil consumption engines,
and the problematic KSDS wiring harness. Now just the opposite, especially if the engine isn't seized, they seem to try any trick in the book to
circumvent their responsibility, and what is the layman to do? Just keep fighting to have it fixed free of charge, as why should you be held
accountable for an inadequate update initiated by Kia. If they didn't install the update you wouldn't have this problem.
After fixed, next time it happens, hopefully the engine will be seized then no question, but they may still try to worm their way out with some
excuses or maybe not offering a rental free of charge.

People keep purchasing their products though, maybe because they are cheap, and that's it in a nutsheel, cheap, junk..
I finally got word back they I am responsible for the 650.00 knock sensor replacement. But here is the kicker... he can’t guarantee that that is the issue. They’ll have to replace the sensor and “see” if that’s it or not and if it’s not then I am responsible for whatever else it is. I contacted customer care with Kia and they are on the case.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
4,319 Posts
I finally got word back they I am responsible for the 650.00 knock sensor replacement. But here is the kicker... he can’t guarantee that that is the issue. They’ll have to replace the sensor and “see” if that’s it or not and if it’s not then I am responsible for whatever else it is. I contacted customer care with Kia and they are on the case.
Typical stealership response, their techs are nothing more than want to be mechanics. Been to 5 different Kia stealerships and 4 were absolutely terrible,
and the best of the bunch closed their doors, guess they were too honest.
Guess you'll need to wait until Kia gets back to you, no wonder why people drive their car through the showroom window.
If it were me, I'd drive the car out of there, remove the code and see what happens, then they'd probably tell you the warranty is void.

Every car line over time, has encountered problems, and if Kia/Hyundai did what they originally did after the settlement, I wouldn't be so harsh, but in the
last 6 months they've changed and seem to give customers a very hard time denying their claims for fabricated reasons.

Just to add, the KSDS update is only software, so they're saying that after the software update all of a sudden the wiring has gone bad, maybe
another aspect to discuss with the nitwits.

Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, I’ve got a 2018 optima, and it recently had a flashing check engine light due to the knock sensor harness failure. My question is: after this fix, is it usually good to go, or does it all plummet from there? What would make it go out at only 13,000 miles? They said it will take two days to fix, has anyone had this happen to them? I wanna know if I need to start Shopping around.
I’ve also got a 2018 Kia Optima. They have replaced the knock sensor harness 3 times so far, this last time they put in a new motor. Well, we’ve got 33000 miles on it, (that’s between both motors) and we are having the same issue . AGAIN. The customer service I’ve received from Auffenberg Kia has been decent, but you really have to bug them. We paid for the vehicle in full at the time of purchase, so I kind of expected a bit more customer service.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts