Kia Optima Forums banner

21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I've owned many 4-cylinder cars, and I don't feel comfortable going 7500 miles without an oil change.

But then again, I'm a whole different story, since I'm using synthetic...and I still change it around 4K-4500 mile intervals.
Agreed. If you are not comfortable with the minimum guidelines set forth by the manufacturer and feel more comfortable with more frequent service routines then all the power to you. :biggrin:

I for one will be going with Synthetic and changing during "old school" intervals. One of these days I may increase the time in between if I don't notice any considerable change in the fluids but until then - better safe than sorry.

On a side note - love the forums and all of the creative minds I see in reading posts.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I wonder if my dealer has an apartment nearby as it seems that service is "required" so often may have to move closer. It's a 40 mile round trip and I'm not about to sit there and have no one to drop me. They told me they are only dealer who offers loaner in area.....I can't wait to argue over that one when they tell me not for this service or some bs. Went further when had Lexus and even for oil change they gave me loaner for the day...well will see if I even ever go to dealer

·
Registered
229 Posts
.......I don't feel comfortable going 7500 miles without an oil change.

......... since I'm using synthetic...and I still change it around 4K-4500 mile intervals.
Overkill.....IMHO.

·
Former Administrator
6,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Very helpful information but it seems there are some discrepancies between what's here and the owners manual. So what information is correct??
The problem is - I don't know if this is the dealer's preferred plan, or Kia's. It has Kia's branding all over it, but it very well could have been something my dealer wrote up for themselves.

If all else fails, I would use the owners manual as a starting point, especially when negotiating your maintenance visits, and the cost involved. We KNOW the owners manual came from Kia, there's no arguing that. If they try and charge you for something more frequently, you can reference the owners manual and request they don't do it. There's no way they could void your warranty for refusing to do a service too early, as long as it's done within the interval specified by the manual.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I would ignore that list and just follow your owner's manual.

On the OCI, some manufacturers require synthetic and specify 10k OCIs. If you really want to be anal about it, send in samples for analysis and base you OCI on that if they recommend more frequent oil changes than the manual. The rest is just preference and opinion.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I cant believe 3,750 between oil changes! I intend to do approx 2000 miles a month. That means I need to take the car to the shop every 7 weeks. Our new BMW X3 had its first visit to the shop after 13k.

cheers
Ali

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
3750 is not even an option on the display reminder, IIRC.

·
Former Administrator
6,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
idk wtf to do - there is whats posted here then on kia tech info, so idk - kia tech info says not to change the spark plugs till 105k miles on the 2.4 and never says **** about ATF
Yeah, that's my biggest qualm about Kia - none of their documentation matches each other. Frustrating.

·
10/2012 + 11/2013 ROTM
4,445 Posts
i'd go to my dealer but they are a bunch of douche bags ;[ dont know if they know there ass from a hole in the ground, like when i went to them about the left pull they were like uhhhh whats that i was like really ? heres the paper work from kiatechinfo lololol oh well

·
Registered
60 Posts
The manufacturer that designed and built the car also designed and built an owners manual to accompany it. That is your bible. Follow it, and as long as you do they cannot refuse a claim.

Now the dealer, the reseller, the independant entity that lives of profit selling vehicles may say otherwise, which means more frequent, more expensive and more detailed maintenance plans. That's where they make the most profit, along with all the extra warranty and rustproofing packages they offer on top of the car.

It really is simple. If in doubt call Kia. If you want to change your oil every 1000 miles do so, but Kia says they will honor the warranty of their vehicle if you do it every 7500 miles (2.4)

I know some of you will say you get conflicting info from various sources. The manufacturer is legally bound to the manual they provided you with. They didn't provide you the info billy bob told in the service department, and they didn't provide you the kiatech site with the car. You went there on your own, furthermore, not everyone knows about it and can even access i, but everyone got the manual with the car. It's very valuable, but for maintenance the manual is "it".

·
Registered
32 Posts
Someone else asked this question but I'll ask again.

What is the reason for changing the spark plugs at the 15k mile service. Does anyone know? Seems ridiculous, my Dodge minivan called for tune up at 90k miles (including replacing the spark plugs).

Robert

·
Registered
40 Posts
Someone else asked this question but I'll ask again.

What is the reason for changing the spark plugs at the 15k mile service. Does anyone know? Seems ridiculous, my Dodge minivan called for tune up at 90k miles (including replacing the spark plugs).

Robert
Robert, Look at list provided by Munky above, there is no recomendation to change plugs at 15K. For Turbos, they recomend 45K and 90K, for 2.4 they recomend 105K replacment. The reason to change more often on turbo equiped engines is covered on another thread.

I am surpirsed they never noted replacement of timing chain/belt or inspection of transmision fluid (unless it got lost in translation and is covered under check "brake/clutch" fluid???

21 - 40 of 80 Posts