Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was racing my friend down a back road and my car lights in the dash (ones I never saw before) turned on and my car either stalled or was slowing down. I pulled over and turned the car off and on again. It drove fine for a little while (driving home) until I started to pull in my apartment. My check engine light started flashing. The car was making a weird noise. Almost sounded like I had some sort of muffler or something (like racing cars sound like when accelerating) but I haven’t actually done anything besides stock parts on my 2013 Kia Optima.

when I went on YouTube the closest things where the sound of a bad wheel bearing. But could that cause these lights to go off and my check engine to flash? Or could I have broken my transmission?

·
Registered
2013 Ebony SXL Turbo: Original Everything @ about 189K with Drag wheels.
348 Posts
I was racing my friend down a back road and my car lights in the dash (ones I never saw before) turned on and my car either stalled or was slowing down. ... My check engine light started flashing. The car was making a weird noise. ...
Any time a CEL flashes, the ECU is really, really, really trying to tell you to let off the throttle.

Some kind of misfire or other very serious condition which can cause lots of damage has either occurred or is about to.

Is the vehicle up to date on all the recalls/updates?

First thing that should be done is to read the CEL codes. Either get your own odb2 reader or go to an auto zone kinda place and they'll read it for Free. You may have a P1326: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10173258-0001.pdf

Report back the CEL codes found. Luck and Merry New Year!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any time a CEL flashes, the ECU is really, really, really trying to tell you to let off the throttle.

Some kind of misfire or other very serious condition which can cause lots of damage has either occurred or is about to.

First thing that should be done is to read the CEL codes. Either get your own odb2 reader or go to an auto zone kinda place and they'll read it for Free. You may have a P1326: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10173258-0001.pdf

hey! Thanks for the reply!

actually... no there was a recent recall and I haven’t taken the car to get that done yet. I don’t remember what it was. I don’t want to drive it but I will be getting a code reader and checking the code! I’ll post back what it says and hopefully that will give me an idea what went wrong.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

On this one I do remember taking it in for. This was my first recall with this car. It went through and passed the test but I remember they updated the computer to detect the engine knock if it happens and the computer is supposed to tell me. I guess that could be best case because that defect is covered. Well know more when I get a chance to read the codes!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Super glad you told me this. Saved me to pay to tow it to a mechanic who may or may not know of the recall. It’s exactly the engine recall. I’ll post here how this all goes down.

·
Registered
2010 KIa Optima LX 2.4
7 Posts
I was racing my friend down a back road and my car lights in the dash (ones I never saw before) turned on and my car either stalled or was slowing down. I pulled over and turned the car off and on again. It drove fine for a little while (driving home) until I started to pull in my apartment. My check engine light started flashing. The car was making a weird noise. Almost sounded like I had some sort of muffler or something (like racing cars sound like when accelerating) but I haven’t actually done anything besides stock parts on my 2013 Kia Optima.

when I went on YouTube the closest things where the sound of a bad wheel bearing. But could that cause these lights to go off and my check engine to flash? Or could I have broken my transmission?
Catalytic converter clogged up? I had this happen on a pick up years ago.Just driving on a country road truck slowed down and died. Friend removed cat put a piece of regular pipe in place. Truck started and ran great from then on. Had to buy a new car eventually to pass state inspection.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Catalytic converter clogged up? I had this happen on a pick up years ago.Just driving on a country road truck slowed down and died. Friend removed cat put a piece of regular pipe in place. Truck started and ran great from then on. Had to buy a new car eventually to pass state inspection.
Im not sure yet, I’m waiting on the stimulus check to send it to Kia, but I do now know it has the P1326 code which indicates it could be engine failure.

I’ll find out more when it goes to Kia!

·
Registered
68 Posts
They may not honor the warranty if they figure out you were racing. How many miles are on it out of curiosity?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts