Kia Optima Forums banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Thanks for the info folks. I have always done the ecu reset on my older cars, wasn't sure if needed on the optima. Will the battery disconnect clear all UVO settings etc.?

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Installed the intake this morning, biggest pita was the 2nd soft connection, took forever!
Protip: when removing the stock intake, instead of using a screwdriver for the bottom screw (by the turbo) use a small wrench. Much easier!
Question here: when I gun it, the intake makes more of a whoosh sound, with a bit of whistling rather than what I normally hear from such intakes.
I was expecting more of a roary, deep noise, instead I get something that sounds a bit like sticking a vacuum cleaner pipe in a corner.
Is this normal for this intake? My concern is that there could be an air leak. I triple checked and I believe everything is connected solid, should have no leaks but still the sound is not what I have heard on my other cars.
Made a few videos, very hard to hear with the wind, I believe video #3 is where you can hear it best:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6r37nmeokpbgebg/AACd8Ty2Gy7F8NsU-p7LaDrja?dl=0
Glad to hear you got it installed without any major issues.

Assuming you don't have any air-leaks (you checked), that's pretty normal for any SRI (K&N, InJen). When I gun mine, I also get and can hear what seems to me to be a turbulent airflow buffeting sound in the 3K~4K RPM range at the intake which goes away after that (i.e., "smooths out"). That also seems normal as well. This sound is NOT "turbo surge". I'd also recommend that you reset your ECU by doing the battery ground disconnect for 10 minutes or so. The car needs to adjust to the new setup and your driving with the new SRI installed and this will help facilitate that. Enjoy!
Yep this is spot on and the sound is quite normal.

Thanks for the info folks. I have always done the ecu reset on my older cars, wasn't sure if needed on the optima. Will the battery disconnect clear all UVO settings etc.?
Disconnecting the battery should not reset your UVO setting or radio stations. It's always a good idea to do a battery reset when adding performance parts to the vehicle.

View attachment 161153 View attachment 161161
Install shot, also found this white fluffy stuff in the old filter box :rolleyes:
Oh wow, where did all of that come from?

·
Premium Member
2012 Kia Optima SX-T
1,456 Posts
Reactions: jery911

·
Super Moderator
2012 Kia Optima
3,486 Posts

·
Registered
2012 SX-T w/Premium
11 Posts
I just ordered my intake from David, and although I haven't received it yet, the process prior to receiving it was top notch, david was more than helpful throughout my buying process and always available to answer questions. Now I just hope I don't find a sheep with my old filter.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I just ordered my intake from David, and although I haven't received it yet, the process prior to receiving it was top notch, david was more than helpful throughout my buying process and always available to answer questions. Now I just hope I don't find a sheep with my old filter.
Thank you for placing your order with us. It was nice chatting with you on the phone and I do appreciate your business. After the install, post up a pic or two.

·
Registered
2015 Kia 2015 Optima SX Turbo
18 Posts
Here is a quick 0-60 video with audio of only the Injen intake installed on a 2013 2.0 SX Optima...

wow, now that's the deep sound im looking for in my 15 sx-t. I am assuming that is a 2013 turbo since I heard the woosh at the end. So this video is with only the injen intake and no bov? If so I am really excited to purchase hopefully this weekend!

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
wow, now that's the deep sound im looking for in my 15 sx-t. I am assuming that is a 2013 turbo since I heard the woosh at the end. So this video is with only the injen intake and no bov? If so I am really excited to purchase hopefully this weekend!
You know I'm not too sure about what all is installed on the vehicle in the video. However with the installation of an intake, you'll definitely here the turbo spooling up much better. Let us know if you have any questions before ordering.

·
Registered
2011 Hyundai sonata
11 Posts
Just picked mine up from the store. Thank you again David for spending time with me and explaining the different options to me.

·
Registered
2012 K5
145 Posts
Just ordered my 2.0 turbo Injen intake can't wait to get it crazy excited thanks again David ,always looking out for us

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Just ordered my 2.0 turbo Injen intake can't wait to get it crazy excited thanks again David ,always looking out for us
Thank you for placing your order with us, & you're very welcome sir. Got any pics you would like to share of it installed? We love pics here. :cool:

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Stop wasting time, we have what you are looking for now!

Here is a quick 0-60 video with audio of only the Injen intake installed on a 2013 2.0 SX Optima...

We have these in stock for both the turbo and non-turbo models.

Take a look at them on our site and let us know if you have any questions.

K5 Optima Store - Injen Intake Systems

K5 Optima Store - Injen Hydroshield

Be sure to check out all of the Performance Parts that we carry on our website collection linked below:

Performance Product Collection - K5 Optima Store

21 - 37 of 37 Posts