Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I trained the homelink to my garage opener and it worked. It seems weird that sometimes it works and sometime it does not. Sometimes while still inside the garage the homelink button lights up red and does close and open the door.
When outside the garage it does close the door and when I get back after a drive it fails to open. And now it has completely stopped working. The homelink has not lost power in any case. I am wondering if the moon roof opening and closing has anything to do with the craziness of the homelink operations.
I have searched for the problem online and most of them tell you how to train or program the homelink to the garage opener. I will appreciate any suggestions on what is causing the problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Problem: I trained the homelink to my garage opener and it worked. It seems weird that sometimes it works and sometime it does not. Sometimes while still inside the garage the homelink button lights up red and does close and open the door. When outside the garage it does close the door and when I get back after a drive it fails to open. And now it has completely stopped working.

The homelink issue that I had with my kia optima hybrid is now solved! I searched online and found a lot of suggestions. I finally nailed it! Any way, thanks to all of you for suggestions and it was worth trying, after all I am a researcher.

The problem was that the homelink with all the careful training worked well when inside the garage. But when I pulled out of the garage it did not work. I thought the problem could have been the range, so I set up an extended antenna to on the outside of the garage and it still did not work. I found someone (sorry, I cant remember who, thanks to him/her) on this kia optima forum had suggested that the homelink works when the headlights are on. It checked it out and lo and behold that was the cause/problem/solution.

What was happening? While inside the garage where there isn't much light and with the light switch set to auto the headlights were on, and sure enough the homelink system worked, And then when I pulled out of the garage where there's plenty of daylight the auto-set headlights did not come on and as a result the homelink did not work. I put the great suggestion to test. I pulled out of the garage with lights set to auto mode, the headlights were off since it is very bright outside, the homelink buttons did not respond. So, I then turned the headlight switch selection to the ON position, the homelink did work to open/close the garage door. Problem solved!

Such as setup is not very nice for a high-end packaged car. The homelink should have been be setup to work under any setting, with or without having the headlights on. I am sure there are ways to fix this "bug."

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,194 Posts
Never heard of this - any idea what is going on?

Do you think it's a misconfiguration?

Could it be some kind of issue where turning on the lights powers up the signal more?

Without the lights on, does the voltage change going to the homelink system in the car?

What actually changes when you turn the lights on or off? Like, how does the car treat the homelink system differently depending on the lights - does it change the way power is delivered?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Never heard of this - any idea what is going on?

Do you think it's a misconfiguration?

Could it be some kind of issue where turning on the lights powers up the signal more?

Without the lights on, does the voltage change going to the homelink system in the car?

What actually changes when you turn the lights on or off? Like, how does the car treat the homelink system differently depending on the lights - does it change the way power is delivered?
Thanks for responding!
I have another vehicle Hyndai Elantra Limited 2018, has a homelink that works real good with or without the headlights on.
Yes, I do think for this Kia Optima Hybrid 2017 it could be a misconfiguration - i.e., the power activating the homelink is when the headlights are on. I don't know why this company misconfigured it this way. I am also thinking that if the homelink was powered otherwise (getting a continuous line voltage) it could possibly drain the battery, that's my guess! I will have to explore further on how homelink should be configured normally.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Optima 2012 Kia Optima LX
33 Posts
Just a comment - There are different versions of garage door Homelink software. My old Craftsman door opener with Homelink worked fine with my 2012 Optima. Several years later when the door opener broke, I replaced it with a higher-end Chamberlain with WiFi, automatic lighting, etc. and now my Optima Homelink didn't work. I spent hours trying to connect the two, finally contacting the manufacturer. They said I need to buy a "converter" for $35 to make it work. Nothing was ever indicated on the packaging about check "car compatibility"! PO'd, I'm still using the clip on transmitter on my visor. :mad:

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,194 Posts
Just a comment - There are different versions of garage door Homelink software. My old Craftsman door opener with Homelink worked fine with my 2012 Optima. Several years later when the door opener broke, I replaced it with a higher-end Chamberlain with WiFi, automatic lighting, etc. and now my Optima Homelink didn't work. I spent hours trying to connect the two, finally contacting the manufacturer. They said I need to buy a "converter" for $35 to make it work. Nothing was ever indicated on the packaging about check "car compatibility"! PO'd, I'm still using the clip on transmitter on my visor. :mad:
Just wanted to say that I am facing the same situation, but I've come to accept that the newer transmission technologies came along and you could argue that the older homelink stuff was risky because it could be outsmarted or something. Anyway, I plan to get the converter because I like being able to use the button on the rear view mirror, so I'm willing to risk using the older tech to make it work with the newer tech of the garage door opener. Sorry but I just hoped this would ease your thoughts that everyone is facing this issue with new garage door openers.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Optima 2012 Kia Optima LX
33 Posts
Just wanted to say that I am facing the same situation, but I've come to accept that the newer transmission technologies came along and you could argue that the older homelink stuff was risky because it could be outsmarted or something. Anyway, I plan to get the converter because I like being able to use the button on the rear view mirror, so I'm willing to risk using the older tech to make it work with the newer tech of the garage door opener. Sorry but I just hoped this would ease your thoughts that everyone is facing this issue with new garage door openers.
IMO, Chamberlain should have sent a converter to everyone that needed one. In fact, I read that they did do that for some. They make plenty of $ from their garage door openers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts