Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased a 2016 Optima SX new in 2016. Oil changes have been on schedule or before, using oil specified or better. Approximately 92,000 miles, mostly highway miles. Most oil changes have been at dealerships. When the dealerships were too busy, I went to the reputable shop where we take all of our other non-KIA cars for maintenance. I have all service records. The engine knocks, pings, loses power, hesitates, shifts hard, burns an ass load of oil. It has cost me too much time and money. It is a major inconvenience.

We noticed quickly after purchasing the car that we were burning oil, about 1 quart every 5-6k miles. Eventually, we began burning 1 quart every 3k miles. Now we are burning 3 quarts every 1-2k miles.

I opened a case with CC and started THREE oil measurement campaigns with two dealerships. The first dealership where I bought my car did not document anything and closed the case out without my knowledge. They closed it with CC. They hand wrote on a receipt once that the problem was bad gas. Right. From all over the United States over the course of three years? Idiots.

I started a second with the dealership closest to my home while in for service of an untreated issue. This dealer's service manager told me about the first dealer closing the first at that time. They also gave me the number for CC and had me call it in again from the dealership. I told them it is impossible for me to stay within 1k miles of a dealership due to work. I can't always get in for them to check my oil because they are busy. CC did call me back. The lady gave me their policies again. I reinforced that if KIA wants to pay for my rental cars, I would be happy to keep my car within 1k of the dealership, but that is unreasonable. I don't know when I will burn through 1k miles. There is no way to plan out my oil measurings in advance. They don't care. THEY have to do it. Fine.

So, when back at the dealership to address an alert from the engine control system, I asked them to check my oil and they acted like they had no documentation of the previous visit or our conversations. In fact, the SAME **** service guy told me I needed to start a measurement campaign, which is what he said he was doing before when he gave me his card, measured it in front of me, took a picture of the dipstick on his phone, etc. They said oil changes must be done at the dealership during the case testing period. But they were not available to change my oil and I am not going to be blamed for not doing it on time. I don't trust fine print, attornies, big business, etc. Then they told me I COULD get my oil changed anywhere as long as the mileage is documented. "Well, why can't whoever is changing my oil and documenting my miles measure the oil and document it then? They have no answer. Stupid. They talk out their asses and in circles.

BTW, They did not address the problem even though the computer told them exactly what the problem was. This is the second time this the car has been into this dealer for said problem. But, they want to see it happen in person. I have proof. I shot video. But they still have to experience it. The car had 1 Quart of oil left after it was serviced 1k miles ago. They charged me 59 bucks for an oil change and said come back in 1k miles. Fine.

I have ZERO hope of them doing anything with 92k miles on the engine. I have been told by sales and other back end service people at the dealership that there have been 50-60k engines replaced by KIA. Everyone has to jump through hoops. It just seems to me that the hoops change. I started making them aware of this years, YEARS ago, and here we are. I WILL NEVER BUY A KIA AGAIN. WHEN it dies, and it will, and I get NO help from KIA, I WILL rent some space from a retailer across the street from my dealer, where I will park the car, post a sign, and print copies of my docs with my story for anyone interested to read.

BH, Olathe KS

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
1,868 Posts
Welcome to the group. My advice is just drive the car and if it goes you'll get another engine providing they deem the failure due to the debris issue, and that warranty is lifetime providing the updates were done. My '11 2.0T uses a qt every 700 miles, just keep pouring it in and it keeps running so far.
Cars that leave a lot to be desired, many problems along with crappy engines, that's why they are so cheap on the used car market.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is an update. After losing 1qt of oil every 1k miles in mild weather and 3qt of oil every 1k miles in hot weather, KIA approved the engine replacement. Finally, the engine has been replaced!

The day after I took my car in for the final inspection before the engine was ordered, we began having issues with the car dropping dead while driving, headlights and tail lights to cutting out or dimming individually, dash lights flickering and shutting off, etc. The dealer called and said I needed a new headlight. Wrong. I told them to check their notes and then check the error log in the car. They found a defect in a control module. I was shocked they didn't do any sort of an analysis while replacing the engine. That was disconcerting. They made me pay the diagnostic fee to fix the problem.

They gave us a loaner through the process, which took about one week. For now, the car runs and sounds better than it ever did. Time will tell if there are any gotchas.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
1,868 Posts
Glad it worked out and remember that the replacement engine also comes with a lifetime warranty.
As the electrical problem was no longer under warranty, guess they didn't want to mix Kia's obligation along with the owner's obligation.
Got give kudos to Kia for the engine replacement, and they did the same for our 2.0T engine with excessive oil usage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts