Kia Optima Forums banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Optima EX Turbo
33 Posts
I don't receive much either, I was just researching what annoying sounds were coming from my steering column and came upon this. Lucky for me its under extended warrenty. My car is in the dealer right now getting fixed, So hopefully this is the problem.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima LX
110 Posts
Well.......it turns out I got this problem too. The clunky sound just started this week. So I called up my local KIA dealer and gave them my VIN# and turns out that my Optima is on their recall list. The repair will cost me nothing on my 2011 LX.
Took the dealer only about a few hours to replace. After the repair work, the car feels alot better with the new steering coupler. =)

·
Registered
84 Posts
My 11 SX had the steering coupler issue at 80K miles. Decided to replace it myself even though under warranty. Tried the easy method of going in behind the instrument cluster. This does not work on the 11 SX. Had to drop the column down. Took me 3 hours. Would have been less if I had not taken dash apart first. Feel better that I know it was done right and I cleaned out the coupler housing and gears as they were gunked up. Here's the old and the new. 2011sx.jpg

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
162 Posts
Not that I noticed, the side to side "clunk" just got more pronounced.

---------- Post added at 07:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:41 AM ----------

You will notice you begin to get a "clunk" when you turn the steering wheel from side to side . It gets worse as the coupler breaks down more. The first time I noticed I was getting it and took the steering motor off , the coupler still looked OK and i did not replace it as i thought the problem must be elsewhere. But they obviously begin to degrade before they show any obvious signs of wear.By the time i removed it a second time, it had literally turned to "mush". I do live in a very humid climate though (FL) which supposedly accelerates the problem.

Well, I went into the dealership last week for this exact reason and they thought it was the strut bearings. They’re replacing them tomorrow under warranty. I guess I’ll have to see how it turns out, but I’m not confident that’s what causing the clunking. I wonder why they didn’t acknowledge the steering coupler?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Read the Warranty Extension letter again. It says "... in all other states... they will replace the coupling at no cost..." I was just at the Carson Kia dealership here in California with my 2012 Turbo Optima and they changed it for free. I read some of these posts and it's obvious that "some" dealerships just want to rip folks off.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
162 Posts
Well, I went into the dealership last week for this exact reason and they thought it was the strut bearings. They’re replacing them tomorrow under warranty. I guess I’ll have to see how it turns out, but I’m not confident that’s what causing the clunking. I wonder why they didn’t acknowledge the steering coupler?
Well, it wasn’t the strut bearings. Back to the dealership on Saturday for a more detailed diagnosis...

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
162 Posts
Looks like the CV shaft has excessive play. Being replaced next week. We’ll see what happens....

Well, it wasn’t the strut bearings. Back to the dealership on Saturday for a more detailed diagnosis...

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
162 Posts
Well Turbonut....you were bang on with your response. My dealership has had my car for a total of 4 days (minus a holiday inbetween). Thank god for the loaner. No update calls whatsoever. I called this morning and spoke to another service advisor as mine is away sick. He was told by the techs that they can’t diagnose or even hear the noise I’m describing (clunking while turning right) Complete bull as the noise is there on most slow right turns and actually vibrates the steering wheel. My mechanic friend says it’s definitely coming from the steering column. I’ve asked them to isolate that area, but they haven’t mentioned anything about it.

I also have what I’ve come to understand as fairly common....the creaking sunroof. I completely laughted at the advisor when he said the noise was coming from my brakes. The creaking sound is obviously coming from the sunroof. They already tried lubing and cleaning the tracks with no luck weeks ago. I was told they were going to drop the headliner, but they just copped out and said the noise was coming from somewhere else. I get it’s a big job.

I guess at this point I’m hoping they didn’t mess anything up if they even did spend the time that they said they did on it. I’m moving this weekend so, hopefully my new dealership will be able to help....not hopeful.

Hate to say it, but the dealership seems not very good at diagnostics, but are great at being parts changers. Maybe sooner or later they'll replace the problem.
Here in the US, in 3x for the same problem and not fixed..........Time to invoke the Lemon Law.
---------- Post added at 11:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 AM ----------

These keeps getting better....they now say they’re going to drop the headliner..

Has anyone actually had the creaking sunroof noise fixed?

Well Turbonut....you were bang on with your response. My dealership has had my car for a total of 4 days (minus a holiday inbetween). Thank god for the loaner. No update calls whatsoever. I called this morning and spoke to another service advisor as mine is away sick. He was told by the techs that they can’t diagnose or even hear the noise I’m describing (clunking while turning right) Complete bull as the noise is there on most slow right turns and actually vibrates the steering wheel. My mechanic friend says it’s definitely coming from the steering column. I’ve asked them to isolate that area, but they haven’t mentioned anything about it.

I also have what I’ve come to understand as fairly common....the creaking sunroof. I completely laughted at the advisor when he said the noise was coming from my brakes. The creaking sound is obviously coming from the sunroof. They already tried lubing and cleaning the tracks with no luck weeks ago. I was told they were going to drop the headliner, but they just copped out and said the noise was coming from somewhere else. I get it’s a big job.

I guess at this point I’m hoping they didn’t mess anything up if they even did spend the time that they said they did on it. I’m moving this weekend so, hopefully my new dealership will be able to help....not hopeful.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone have a phone number that was included in this recall? I submitted my recall a few months ago for reimbursement. They said it would take three weeks to hear anything, been a few months now.
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,378 Posts
Steering coupler not a recall, just that out of the goodness of their heart they'll replace it when it goes bad.
Where did the send the info for reimbursement?

·
Registered
2 Posts
My car is under this extended warranty. My EPS light came on and the steering was really hard. After turning car off and letting it sit for a bit, it went off and steering was back to normal. I do have the noise everyone talks about in here but was told by Kia that it was my brakes. Anywho, I took it to the dealership today to get it looked at and they are saying it is not the flexible coupling but the steering column that needs replaced. Question... do you all think its possible that the coupling is indeed bad and caused the MDPS steering column to need replacing? Please respond asap!!!

·
Super Moderator
2012 Kia Optima
3,486 Posts
Does anyone have a phone number that was included in this recall? I submitted my recall a few months ago for reimbursement. They said it would take three weeks to hear anything, been a few months now.
[/QUOTE]
Call Kia North America. Walk through their phone tree. It does take a good 2 or 3 months for reimbursement. But you should have a case number and can track it. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
2012 Kia Optima SX-T
1,456 Posts
Steering coupler not a recall, just that out of the goodness of their heart they'll replace it when it goes bad.
Where did the send the info for reimbursement?
I got a letter about it from Kia for mine. I have it in my files but pretty sure it stated that the replacement was free (and it was when I took it in).

·
Super Moderator
2012 Kia Optima
3,486 Posts
My car is under this extended warranty. My EPS light came on and the steering was really hard. After turning car off and letting it sit for a bit, it went off and steering was back to normal. I do have the noise everyone talks about in here but was told by Kia that it was my brakes. Anywho, I took it to the dealership today to get it looked at and they are saying it is not the flexible coupling but the steering column that needs replaced. Question... do you all think its possible that the coupling is indeed bad and caused the MDPS steering column to need replacing? Please respond asap!!!
The coupler when bad makes a clicking noise when turning the steering wheel left or right. Possible the power steering motor?

·
Registered
2011 kia optima lx
18 Posts
Bought my 11' optima lx last feb 19', recieved this letter in march 19'. it is dec 19'and i thinl this is becoming an issue. While stopped and while driving and turning wheel left & right it feels as if its not keeping with the wheels,and it clicks,it will click in the front drover side alot louder on turns or stops. Not normal at all, and before this new issue. been an issue with possible sway bar link as that will cause a loose sound in steering wheel and front tire especially over bumps. Ive had to have almost every single recall and other issue fixed since ownership ,it sucks. its winter here btw so the cold seems to maybe add to it

·
Premium Member
2012 Kia Optima SX-T
1,456 Posts
Bought my 11' optima lx last feb 19', recieved this letter in march 19'. it is dec 19'and i thinl this is becoming an issue. While stopped and while driving and turning wheel left & right it feels as if its not keeping with the wheels,and it clicks,it will click in the front drover side alot louder on turns or stops. Not normal at all, and before this new issue. been an issue with possible sway bar link as that will cause a loose sound in steering wheel and front tire especially over bumps. Ive had to have almost every single recall and other issue fixed since ownership ,it sucks. its winter here btw so the cold seems to maybe add to it
Can be dangerous, so I'd get the dealership to fix it. Got mine fixed under the recall for free. I'd have them look at the steering wheel motor and end links just to be sure as well that this was the issue.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,378 Posts
An '11
Being an '11 and not knowing the mileage, front end parts can be worn and have nothing to do with the coupler problem, and the coupler will not cause a noise in the front left wheel area. When the coupler wears, there will be abnormal play in the steering wheel and noise inside the car in the area of the steering column. The end links are normal wear items, albeit lower miles then many other cars, and tie rod ends also a problem with miles.
Best to have the coupler replaced, then have the front end checked by some competent tech, if you can find one of those people.

·
Registered
2011 kia optima lx
18 Posts
An '11

Being an '11 and not knowing the mileage, front end parts can be worn and have nothing to do with the coupler problem, and the coupler will not cause a noise in the front left wheel area. When the coupler wears, there will be abnormal play in the steering wheel and noise inside the car in the area of the steering column. The end links are normal wear items, albeit lower miles they many other cars, and tie rod ends also a problem with miles.
Best to have the coupler replaced, then have the front end check by some competent tech, if you can find one of those people.
my vehicle has around 110,997. bought it w 79k. its been an issue as long as i have had the vehicle just its alot worse now. i have an apt w kia today, i however try to do my business elsewhere when i can. there is abnormal play in the steering wheel..to describe it feels like the body of my car is floating in a different direction at times of trying to keep the vehicle straight..or like when you hit black ice...the slippery feeling if that makes any sense...

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just got a slight clunk while turning today. Have to make a call for an appointment at the dealer.
SnowWhite, I see you're in North Jersey, where about?
Hey guys, looks like I'm heading to my dealer in Randolph as I just noticed the clunk sound today and did a quick google and came across this. Glad this will be covered, but you know how it goes at the dealer... first you have to sign a doc saying you will pay for diagnostic labor if they find the issue not related related to the MDPS coupling. Is there a TSB# or something I can reference when I bring it in? Thanks! Rov

21 - 40 of 54 Posts