Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2015 KIA Optima
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi my Name is Damian. I own a 2015 Kia Optima SX-T bought it new on my birthday in 2014. Initially was excited to modify my car for more power etc. Even bought a flash and tune kit from BTR, but I never installed it because I decided to wait and use up a little bit of my warranty, because it was my first off the lot car I've ever bought.
Well I recently crossed the 60k mark and was told that the long block has a lifetime warranty, after a reflash to my ECU. So with carefully managed upgrades I have a little insurance!
Also my son has followed my younger self's obsession with tuned cars, so I think it will be fun to do a few upgrades with him.
I have a few goals in mind, I want my car to remain a stock look, I'm a grey haired father of 2, so I don't desire a ton of attention.
So semi sleeper look, with a daily drivable ride.
I've been doing a few searches here, on Google , YouTube etc for upgrade paths/ideas. My current plans are.
I already have a drop in K&N filter, and catch can setup, sense about 5k miles. I Also have an Injen intake I never installed because i read that the drop in works fine/better.
#1) Upgrade a my catch can set up.
#2) Get the an up to date BTR tune, install properly gapped HKS plugs etc.
#3) Strut tower bar
#4) Meth injection setup, still researching/looking for install examples. I remember back in 2015 there was some good results and set up threads. Looking to use my stock WW container and keep it as hidden as possible. Any links to install threads would be helpful.
#4) Lowering springs, and subframe rigid ring set.
#5) Thinking about wheel spacers to push out my wheels a little bit, to fill the wheel wells. I've never used spacers before! Any objections for using them?
#6) Possibly down pipe, mid pipe with cat, to stock exhaust to the back.
For now that's the upgrades/project's I've planned to do with my son so far. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,732 Posts
Hey Damian, glad to have you back active on the forum here again! :)

Nice list of mods you have and are wanting to do.

Please feel free to reach out anytime, as we are happy to help with all of these for you.

-David

·
Super Moderator
2013 Kia Optima
589 Posts
Welcome back! Your car will be some of the way to mine by the time you're done. I need to get a "my car" post going here on the forum.

Keep in mind that BTR doesn't sell canned tunes anymore. They only dyno tune now, so you would have to bring the car in to them. If you're not near Northern Illinois, that obviously makes it harder.

·
Registered
2015 KIA Optima
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks David. I actually ordered a new catch can setup and installed it yesterday, and have a TBS, engine mount on order with a dress up kit. I'm sure I'll be ordering more.

·
Registered
2015 KIA Optima
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome back! Your car will be some of the way to mine by the time you're done. I need to get a "my car" post going here on the forum.

Keep in mind that BTR doesn't sell canned tunes anymore. They only dyno tune now, so you would have to bring the car in to them. If you're not near Northern Illinois, that obviously makes it harder.
Yes, I found out today that BTR no longer offers the can tunes that can be easily flashed. I'm on version 2.03 and was hoping to atleast get last available update, use it for a little bit, while spending elsewhere, then jump over to a Lap 3 tune. If anyone has a newer BTR tune file I'd love to get it my hands on it. So I can atleast squeeze a little value out the equipment I have.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,732 Posts
Thanks David. I actually ordered a new catch can setup and installed it yesterday, and have a TBS, engine mount on order with a dress up kit. I'm sure I'll be ordering more.
You're very welcome, and thank you for your business with us!

Look forward to working with you again soon.

·
Registered
2015 KIA Optima
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
So I've received my lowering springs, Strut tower bar is at the post office for pick up, stiff chassis collars, engine mount bushings..Looking to do a one day suspension upgrade in a few weeks. After a quick trip to the body shop for a fender and hail damage.

Are the the truhart shocks a worthy upgrade over the stock shock's with lowering springs? Some of the comments on the ratings say they're much better, trying to decide if I should pick some up.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,732 Posts
Are the the truhart shocks a worthy upgrade over the stock shock's with lowering springs? Some of the comments on the ratings say they're much better, trying to decide if I should pick some up.
You can read some of the reviews on our site below, as there are over 60 from verified customers.

I think they are great and for the price of $271 including shipping for the struts and shocks, there's nothing else out there that compares.

TruHart Kia Optima Sport Shocks/Struts Combo - K5 Optima Store - Reviews

1 - 8 of 8 Posts