Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
SX
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I applaud Kia for providing free updates to the GPS map system using a downloading method, for most newer Kias. But it seems my 2014 Optima does not qualify in this group. Kia wants $25 for the SD card, that seems reasonable and $22 dollars to ship it, that does not seem reasonable to me.

Kia does not provide a FTP site that one could download a zipped image file and create a GPS SD card. That sounds more like a proper solution to a GPS map update that is scheduled for twice a year.

Now if Kia will not create a FTP site for the odd balls GPS map systems, maybe there is way for us to create a FTP site for such a purpose. I’m open to hear and discuss options and concerns.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Annoying, yes, but goes with the territory for that old of a system. I could only guess some tech limitation preventing Kia from making that vintage go though a different upgrade cycle.

$50 pales in comparison to the couple hundred per yearly update I've seen before OTA updates became a regular thing. I did an update when I bought my Optima recently, and I'm probably set for the next few years. I did find the $50 worth it but I'm pretty sure mine had never been updated so that's probably why.

·
Registered
2013 Ebony SXL Turbo: Original Everything @ about 193K with Drag wheels.
397 Posts
I find Kia's GPS system of no use and once I left garmins behind years ago for google maps have never seen a reason to return to technologies that won't let me customize something as simple as Favorites but to each their own, eh?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I tried this and they said it is no longer a free upgrade. There was a company wide email stating that from now on we will need to buy the update from mapnsoft for $149. So very disappointing.
Edit: I called again and got in touch Tutuapp 9Apps Showbox with their customer service (option #4, not directly with UVO services) and after being shot down again, I asked to speak to a supervisor. As a one time service they will be mailing me the update for free! Don’t be mean if you have to call, just stay persistent.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,268 Posts
I applaud Kia for providing free updates to the GPS map system using a downloading method, for most newer Kias. But it seems my 2014 Optima does not qualify in this group. Kia wants $25 for the SD card, that seems reasonable and $22 dollars to ship it, that does not seem reasonable to me.

Kia does not provide a FTP site that one could download a zipped image file and create a GPS SD card. That sounds more like a proper solution to a GPS map update that is scheduled for twice a year.

Now if Kia will not create a FTP site for the odd balls GPS map systems, maybe there is way for us to create a FTP site for such a purpose. I’m open to hear and discuss options and concerns.
What website were you using to obtain the map update from Kia?

·
Registered
2014 SX Turbo
1 Posts
$22 for shipping wouldn't be so bad. I had to pay about double that ($57 CAD or $45 USD) to have the latest update for my 2014 Optima shipped to Canada. I was tempted to just buy and install a head unit from a 2015.

·
Registered
SX
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is where I found the map upgrade for Kingfatty

Navigation Updater | Official Kia Navigation Update Website Select SHIPPING ORDER WEBSITE on top of page takes you to Kia Mapcare | Customer Login Create an Account or Signin, Put in your vehicle information and add to the cart the SD map update, $25 plus select an outrageous shipping option for a SD card. ;)

Then make an zipped mage of the SD card and put it on a free share cloud storage (if it will fit). :) Sure it would take a while to download but its 2021 and the interenet is pretty fast, at least here. Much faster than a truck. Oh well.....Google maps and waze do a darn good job.

I did try to clone a 2014 Sonata Map SD card Update, didn't work.....

Stay safte

·
Registered
SX
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Site not really just for models on that list. After you sign in with the customer login, you can enter your year and model. I did my 2014 optima and it displays the map update SD for $25 + It went back to 2009 for the optima.with map updates. No idea about the other Kia models.

·
Registered
2014 SXL
54 Posts
So the SD card I buy on this site and have shipped to me won't come with the latest update on it?

·
Registered
2018 Optima EX, 2019 Stinger GT2 AWD
73 Posts
On my 2019 Stinger, I have been able to download and update the SD card for free. The last update came out in July IIRC.There is a Windows app you run and does all the work, from downloading the files to writing the SD card on you computer.
Did they change recently? Or are they still providing it for newer cars?

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,268 Posts
Site not really just for models on that list. After you sign in with the customer login, you can enter your year and model. I did my 2014 optima and it displays the map update SD for $25 + It went back to 2009 for the optima.with map updates. No idea about the other Kia models.
There are two different sites linked above. One site is run by Kia, that's the one I was asking about. That one does not have older models. That's the one where I posted the list of all the models that are supported, by the Kia-run site.

The other site is an independent company, Mapnsoft. That is not run by Kia, but it works with Kia to develop Nav updates for some Kia vehicles.

I'm guessing you found your 2014 Optima map update on the Mapnsoft site, not the Kia site?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts