Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received a letter from a company saying that Kia would extend the warranty on the short block of our 2019 Kia Optima, to a lifetime warranty. I called our local dealer, and they said they did not know anything about it and gave me Kia Corporate phone number. I called corporate and they said they would correspond with the local dealer about the lifetime warranty addition.

Anyone else get this notice?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,403 Posts
Because the engines are junk, that's what it is, a lifetime warranty on the engine, probably need to have the update performed, but at least when the engine lets go, it will be replaced free of charge. Not all Kias with the 2.0T, 2.4 will experience the problem, but to date I'd say they've replaced 200,000+ engines. Not many percentage wise, but an annoyance to the people that own them.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,197 Posts
So was this letter for a specific range of model years?

Previously, earlier model years got the letter, maybe a half year or more ago? I wonder why just now you got a letter. Did Kia maybe recently decide to include additional model years?

·
Registered
2018 KIA Optima
171 Posts
I just got mine for my 18. It wasnt from kia though. It was from the government body/laywers involved in the class action.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It covers two engines, the 2.0 and the 2.4 for various years. Kia and the lawyers for the class action suite came to an agreement. Those that have had certain engine problems can receive money back for repairs the car owners had to pay, and for those of us who have not had any problems to date, we get a lifetime warranty on the short block, as long as you have had the system upgrade on the nox sensor. Check out the below.

·
Registered
160 Posts
2019 is too close to 2020 and it makes me nervous. I've had a few cars in my lifetime that I would have to go back a year to get some correct auto parts. My 2020 could have the dud engine in it. I'm beginning to wish I would have stayed with Toyota after reading about all these lawsuits on KIA and Hyundai. Right now I'm fighting with Hyundai about getting a new shortblock for my daughters 1.8L engine

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got one for my 2014 2.0 sxl I was thinking about looking at the new K5 Optima sxl to buy but I think I’m going to wait on that...

·
Registered
2012 Kia Optima 2012 Kia Optima LX
33 Posts
I also received the letters last week, both dealing with the class action suit. My 2012 2.4L engine was replaced in June 2017 at 23593 miles on the odometer. It was/is running fine both before and after the replacement. Kia has been upright about the issues and the fixes, including a lifetime powertrain warranty.

The letters indicate that I must specifically request being dropped from the class action suit. I'm not particularly happy how this is going down. Kia seems to have acted in good faith (although the start of the original recall took some time to get legs). I wonder if there are other owners who feel like I do.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Its because certain engines during the manufacturing process they didn't get all the sand out. They issued a service info letter about it and it said to take your Kia in if affected and what they did on mine was run a vibration test on it. If it goes over the limit they change the engine. On mine it was ok. During the test they put in new oil.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I received a letter from a company saying that Kia would extend the warranty on the short block of our 2019 Kia Optima, to a lifetime warranty. I called our local dealer, and they said they did not know anything about it and gave me Kia Corporate phone number. I called corporate and they said they would correspond with the local dealer about the lifetime warranty addition.

Anyone else get this notice?
I have a 2012 Kia Optima & I received the letter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2012 Optima. My engine seized while driving with 139K. Good thing they have electric steering. There was no hesitation on Kia's part, within an hour of towing it in they completed the diagnosis (seized engine) and ordered the replacement. They fixed me up with a rental on the spot and the fix went smoothly. I had previously received a letter 3 years ago stating the long block was the fix in case of failure and they did in fact replace the long block as well as the intake manifold and a couple of sensors and hoses. Car has that new engine tightness with noticeable extra pep. The service manager said my piston rings had failed. Up to the point where it seized there had been no oil usage or smoke. I was kinda hoping it would fail just to get a new engine. I had previously heard there were shavings that hadn't been cleaned out and now I'm reading sand during the block casting process. Anyone know for sure? I'm guessing the new engine doesn't have the same problem.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts