Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Premium Member
2012 KIA Optima
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a key fob that I sent through the washer and drier in the pocket of a pair of jeans 馃槨. Dried it out and replaced the battery (multiple times, voltage OK). While the red led light on the fob will flash, sometimes, when a button is pushed the car does not recognize the fob (no door unlock, lock, trunk unlock, proximity interior lighting, door handle unlock/lock function or trunk unlatch button). Unable to start unless fob is inserted into glovebox slot. Do I just need to have the fob re-synced to the car or do I need a new fob? Thanks in advance for any help.

Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
Sorry to hear about the remote not working running it through the washer, I've done that before myself.

It should definitely not need to be reprogrammed to the vehicle, as that is flashed to the chip in the remote.

It most likely is damaged from the water on the actual circuit board itself, so while the LED still comes on, it might not be good anymore.

If you are unable to get it working, we do carry them on our website for a fraction of the price that a Kia dealership would charge you.

You can find them on our website here: 2011-2015 Kia Optima OEM Smart Keyfob Remote - K5 Optima Store

Let us know if you have any questions before ordering.

-David

Premium Member
2012 KIA Optima
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Follow-up:

Ended up ordering a used OEM key fob (looks like it was never used) online for $79 (didn't trust the cheap Chinese knockoffs) and paid an automotive keysmith $100 (Chicago metro area rates) to reprogram the new used fob and my original spare fob to sync with the vehicle. New used fob came with an uncut door lock key but already had the working one from the damaged fob so didn't need to pay $45 to laser cut a new key. A $179 lesson to check pockets before doing laundry. The other key fob on my keyring worked fine after going through the wash cycle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts