Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Optima
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got this car about a week ago. Is the key fob,when pushed to lock doors, supposed to also lock the dr. door? It seems that no matter how many times I push the button, it does not lock the door. It'll lock from the inside. If I use the key to lock the door, then all doors will lock. 2011

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,610 Posts
Been a while, but believe there are options to the lock/unlock settings, but it should work if not once but if hit twice.
As you stated you could use the key and it works fine, guess LX?

·
Registered
2011 Optima
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, i insert key ,turn left and itll lock doors. Where do i look for lock/unlock options?

·
Registered
2015 Optima SXL
54 Posts
Hi, I looked online at the 2011 menu options and though I don't see that specific feature for just the drivers door maybe you can check out the other settings to see if they work as expected. I hate to say it but sounds like a trip to the dealer to scan the sensors for the doors (If they can...)

Pictures courtesy of the Official Kia Manuals web site.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,166 Posts
If I'm reading the OP's post correctly, it sounds like he's saying that when he presses the lock button on his keyfob, all doors EXCEPT the driver's door will lock. I know there's a two-stage unlock option where one press of the unlock fob button will unlock just the driver's door while a second press of the unlock fob button will unlock the remaining doors, but I don't think there's such a two-stage option when it comes to LOCKING the doors. Sounds to me that something is amiss with the security module or whatever box controls remote lock/unlock.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If I'm reading the OP's post correctly, it sounds like he's saying that when he presses the lock button on his keyfob, all doors EXCEPT the driver's door will lock. I know there's a two-stage unlock option where one press of the unlock fob button will unlock just the driver's door while a second press of the unlock fob button will unlock the remaining doors, but I don't think there's such a two-stage option when it comes to LOCKING the doors.
" Sounds to me that something is amiss with the security module or whatever box controls remote lock/unlock".
^ This^

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,166 Posts
I don't claim to know everything about the 2011 Optima so I have to ask--when inserting the key in the door handle to unlock the (driver's) door...does the lock disengage electronically or mechanically--i.e., turning the key mechanically turns the lock tumbler mechanism? IIRC on my 2018 I have to pop the cover on the door handle, then stick the key in the slot and turn it to mechanically engage the lock tumbler. Guess my point is, has the possibility that the electronics in the door lock motor might have gone bad? One way to test for this is to see if you can lock/unlock the driver's door using the electronic lock/unlock button on the door panel armrest...although this precludes the possibility that the door lock switch and/or switch wiring might be bad.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I don't claim to know everything about the 2011 Optima so I have to ask--when inserting the key in the door handle to unlock the (driver's) door...does the lock disengage electronically or mechanically--i.e., turning the key mechanically turns the lock tumbler mechanism? IIRC on my 2018 I have to pop the cover on the door handle, then stick the key in the slot and turn it to mechanically engage the lock tumbler. Guess my point is, has the possibility that the electronics in the door lock motor might have gone bad? One way to test for this is to see if you can lock/unlock the driver's door using the electronic lock/unlock button on the door panel armrest...although this precludes the possibility that the door lock switch and/or switch wiring might be bad.
Just checked it out on my 2012 SX, I believe it's electronic ie, I have mine set to open all doors and all doors unlock when key is turned.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I just read OP's post, he says it will NOT lock the drivers door! And YES, the driver's door should lock when lock doors is pressed.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Perhaps Dave (OP) should question the person he got the car from as to question what hellish setup the car is rigged to... and how to fix it...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2018 KIA Optima
197 Posts
It sounds like there is a 2nd key in the car. If my 2018 has 1 key inside, and I try shutting the doors with the other key or manually etc it auto unlocks the driver door to stop you from shutting your keys in the car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.